Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2044851 - 03/08/13 12:38 AM Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Hello all,

I did some searches and I'm fairly confident there has never been a thread about this before. So here's my problem: I've seen that there is a first version, second version, etc, of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No 4. What are the differences between the versions? Does one have more bars than another? Are there large section changes? Is it just minor note changes? Just articulation and dynamic changes? I don't own all the versions (obviously) and I can't access PDF files of all the versions either. (Rach 4 seems to be less "available" online than the other three concertos? Maybe something to do with copyright? It's also more expensive to buy the score...)

Edit: Just saw that the 1st concerto has the same multiple version thing going on. Never knew this before... wink

Edited by Polyphonist (03/08/13 12:42 AM)

Polyphonist

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2044854 - 03/08/13 12:43 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I haven't seen the first edition, but there are a lot of cuts made between the first and second version, particularly in the third movement. I think it was Ashkenazy or someone else who played the manuscript version.

Checking Wikipedia, there are 3 versions (manuscript, 1928 and 1941), with the 1941 being the most commonly played, but with the most cuts.

The first version was revised when the composer was much more mature (it's actually his op.1), and there is a lot of thinning of the texture and transferring his late-style of writing to his more youthful work.

I think there's a consensus that Rachmaninoff's revision of the first concerto worked really well, whereas his cuts to the 4th had the same debilitating effect as in the second sonata and the second symphony.

Edited by Kuanpiano (03/08/13 12:45 AM)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2044856 - 03/08/13 12:47 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Kuan...been doing a bit more research and Ashkenazy, in an interview, actually says something about huge sections being cut out of one or another of the versions. It doesn't make me any less confused. wink

Seems like most pianists play the third version, but a few don't. Maybe I'll just listen to some people and read along in my score (which I believe is the manuscript or "first version") and see what they do, and maybe mark cuts or places where sections are added.

Polyphonist

#2044857 - 03/08/13 12:51 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Kuanpiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

I think there's a consensus that Rachmaninoff's revision of the first concerto worked really well, whereas his cuts to the 4th had the same debilitating effect as in the second sonata and the second symphony.

And the third concerto as well. It actually seems to me that he cut out some of the most beautiful parts of the third in his own recording. wink
Good thing most pianists are playing the piece without cuts now. Apparently the 4th wasn't so lucky. mad

Polyphonist

#2044859 - 03/08/13 12:55 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

And the third concerto as well. It actually seems to me that he cut out some of the most beautiful parts of the third in his own recording. wink
Good thing most pianists are playing the piece without cuts now. Apparently the 4th wasn't so lucky. mad

Totally agree!! Thank goodness his cuts didn't make it to the published manuscript. I'm not actually familiar with the original version of Rach 4, so I'll check it out tomorrow!
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2044866 - 03/08/13 01:33 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
jeffreyjones Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I hadn't heard it before. I just listened to the slow movement and the final Allegro; it's just got more of everything, similar to the uncut versions of the Third Concerto and Second Sonata vs. the cuts you sometimes encounter in older recordings. I have to say it's vastly better uncut, and I don't feel that way about those other two (they drag on too long with lots of repetitive material).

#2044881 - 03/08/13 03:37 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
The cuts made for the recording of the 3rd were purely for time constraints of the recording technology.

#2045014 - 03/08/13 11:07 AM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: debrucey]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: debrucey
The cuts made for the recording of the 3rd were purely for time constraints of the recording technology.

That's a common misconception. Rachmaninoff created the cuts for concert use, long before the piece was recorded.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#2045047 - 03/08/13 12:24 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Hank Drake]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Hank Drake
Rachmaninoff created the cuts for concert use, long before the piece was recorded.

Though presumably at its initial performances under Damrosch and Mahler in New York it was played uncut, or is there no way of knowing this?

Interesting that cuts in the 3rd movement lasted well into the modern recording era. Some people claim that it tightens the movement up, but to me, some of the best music is sacrificed!

#2045083 - 03/08/13 02:01 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: argerichfan]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Though presumably at its initial performances under Damrosch and Mahler in New York it was played uncut, or is there no way of knowing this?

Interesting that cuts in the 3rd movement lasted well into the modern recording era. Some people claim that it tightens the movement up, but to me, some of the best music is sacrificed!

AFAIK, it was not cut during the 1909 American tour. But Rachmaninoff did make the cuts very shortly thereafter - probably the result of several remarks by critics to the effect that it was too long (critics were as stupid then as they are now) and the composer's own propensity for self-criticism and the evisceration of his own works: Second Sonata, Second Symphony, etc.

Rachmaninoff was also known to make cuts "on the fly" when he sensed he was losing the audience. He wrote an associate after a performance of the Corelli Variations that he skipped so many variations that there wasn't much left of the piece.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#2045116 - 03/08/13 03:03 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Seems like each time he revised it he just cut more material out. I'll have to listen to Ashkenazy's recording or somebody else who plays the manuscript, just to be familiar with the cut sections. In Rach's own recording, he takes the cuts. Disappointing really. I wish Rachmaninov had stuck to original manuscripts more often. So many of the cuts he made were detrimental to his works. frown

Edited by Polyphonist (03/08/13 03:04 PM)

Polyphonist

#2045118 - 03/08/13 03:10 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: Polyphonist]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Even today, it's still common to have the final climaxes in the first movement cadenza lopped off, in the belief it's one (or two) climax too many and no pianist can keep racheting up the fff chords. Horowitz's performances from 1966 onwards did that cut, though he restored all the cuts in the finale that he used to make in his earlier performances and recordings.

And a small section of the finale is also still commonly cut. (BTW, I'm referring to the 3rd concerto).

Thankfully, the majority don't. I'm still looking forward to the day when Rachmaninoff's 1913 version of his Sonata No.2 becomes standard, rather than the mix & match approach (or, even worse, the 1931 version which sounds so sectionalized) that too many pianists employ. Rachmaninoff simply became too self-critical when he came to USA, and made his living mostly as a performer. What would have happened to his Sonata No.1 if he took his chainsaw to it the way he did with No.2?

Edited by bennevis (03/08/13 03:14 PM)

#2045164 - 03/08/13 04:23 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: bennevis]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: bennevis
What would have happened to his Sonata No.1 if he took his chainsaw to it the way he did with No.2?

On the flip side, I wonder what Rachmaninov would have come up with had he written his Paganini Rhapsody (one of his most perfect works, IMO) in 1903 (the year of the not-so-perfect Chopin Variations) instead of 1934?

#2045170 - 03/08/13 04:40 PM Re: Differences between the versions of Rachmaninov 4th [Re: argerichfan]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

On the flip side, I wonder what Rachmaninov would have come up with had he written his Paganini Rhapsody (one of his most perfect works, IMO) in 1903 (the year of the not-so-perfect Chopin Variations) instead of 1934?

Every variation would have a long-breathed luscious melody, richly harmonized (like the unforgettable clarinet melody in his Symphony No.2's slow movement) rather than just Variation No.18, and it would be twice as long, and better for it wink.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
47 minutes 51 seconds ago
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
79 registered (ARamadan, angga888, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 1041 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission