Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, 39 invisible), 1453 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2043704 - 03/06/13 01:35 AM For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15:
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
"Or, Why I Edit My Recordings"

Dear Mark,

Do you remember a few years ago when you said something to the effect that you don't like to listen to recordings that you know are edited? ...That you'd rather listen to recordings that you know are live because there is something special about the live performance aspect of it that appeals to you?

I've been meaning to make this illustration for a while, now, and I finally got a chance to sit down at the piano tonight to show you what I mean. It is my hope that you listen to this live recording in its entirety, so that you can appreciate why I feel the need to edit my recordings to be free of mistakes.

On a side note, you will notice a unique sound to the piano. It is the Lester spinet, previously (recently) tuned to the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament III (EBVT III), a mild well temperament. However, weather being what it is, with the humidity of full-on snow, the heaviest of the season to date, (measured in feet, not inches) which passed through the area today, the piano is somewhat out of kilter. That said, I think you might hear that the piano has settled into a temperament of the type that Chopin might have played on, especially had he had a Lester spinet at his disposal. You, being a Chopin expert as you are, will undoubtedly pick up on that nuance. In any case, I believe that this is the way he may have played it in the salon. This is recorded with my little "pocket studio" Tascam DP004 digital recorder, placed just right of center on the top of the piano, with the condensor mics pointing toward the keyboard. Please forgive the noisy page turn.

https://www.box.com/s/r42h2gqovi3cm1lx057c

Thanks in advance, Mark, (and others), for listening. Comments welcomed.
--Andy

#2043707 - 03/06/13 01:38 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
LOL. ha

I will listen (how can I not) grin ....but, first of all, to be clear: I didn't mean I necessarily like live performances and unedited recordings, just that I have almost no interest in edited recordings. I have some interest in live performances and unedited recordings, in varying degrees depending on what they are and whose they are. The fact that your edited recordings might be 'better' than unedited ones has nothing to do with how interested I would be to hear them.

Quote:
....You, being a Chopin expert as you are....

Dunno if that calls for cool or ha

Edit: OK, I listened. smile
And it definitely deserves a couple of ha ha

I won't spoil it for everybody by saying why. grin

BTW, good thing you mentioned about the page-turn because otherwise I would have wondered what was the story with the "quasi-rubato." smile

I think this is very good -- and that the highlight is the thing you would have liked to blip out. ha
But really -- it's good!

Edited by Mark_C (03/06/13 02:06 AM)

#2043722 - 03/06/13 02:21 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
First, I read Mark's comments before listening to the performance. That said, I am listening through this piece trying to find the "ha-ha's" Mark mentioned, and I'm starting to think to myself, "My God, am I not as musical as I thought?" because I couldn't find a darn thing. But then, I did hear this one part--was that a goat? laugh

Truly, other than the farm animal (and some really minor hesitation), I see no reason to edit the performance. It was well-played.

#2043724 - 03/06/13 02:21 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Derulux]
Mark_C Offline

He meant the goat. grin

#2043731 - 03/06/13 02:36 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
He meant the goat. grin

wink

It's an expression I heard my dad say at the piano a lot! And now, I have turned into my parent!

Few things actually get my goat.

Thanks for listening, you guys! And thanks for appreciating the humor! grin

--Andy

#2044748 - 03/07/13 08:09 PM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Actually - aside from "billy goat gruff" ha - this is one of the most sensitive performances I've ever heard of the Raindrop (seriously). The raindrops felt and sounded real. Must be a combination of your understanding of the piece, the sound and tuning of the Lester, the humidity, and overall ambiance of your living room. Just think - if it hadn't rained incessantly in Majorca we probably wouldn't have this wonderful prelude.

#2044772 - 03/07/13 08:45 PM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: carey]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
....the humidity....

You mean the dripping from condensation, right? grin

#2044796 - 03/07/13 09:39 PM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Mark_C]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: carey
....the humidity....

You mean the dripping from condensation, right? grin

Perhaps that's what I was hearing !! grin

#2044878 - 03/08/13 03:14 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
HAHA!

At last here we have Andy's unedited playing. A lovely performance... And a goat! (?!?!)

Well done Andy! smile (really it was quite nice...)

#2044942 - 03/08/13 08:26 AM Re: For Mark_C: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15: [Re: Nikolas]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the nice comments, fellas!

We can thank Derelux for the goat. Of course, had I not bleated, the goat would not have come to the door in the first place... But you know what they say... "When the world gives you goats, make goat stew!" Would anyone care for some nice goat stew? grin

Carey, I don't know quite how to say this, other than just to say it... Actually, I never think of raindrops when I play this prelude. Never ever at all. Just shows to go ya that music of this ilk is something of an auditory Rorschach test. Please, come in out of the rain and put your coat there by the fire. Let me get you some stew. You must be freezing!

That said, I heard once that this prelude was written when Chopin was staying at some castle, on holiday with his love, Amandine Dupin, and on this particular night, he was alone in the castle and she was away in town to get his medicine or something, and a storm raged outside, and as the hour got later and later, Chopin fretted more and more, and got worrieder and worrieder until he could hardly stand it, so he sat down and wrote us this song.

Any truth to that?

I never think of that when I play this prelude, either, though. I have other emotional reserves from which to draw... wink

Thanks for listening, my friends!

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (03/08/13 09:18 AM)

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission