2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2045010 03/08/13 12:06 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I am going to have to sell my RX2 and estimating its value/pricing it is difficult to say the least. I bought it new in October 2005, so it's got a couple of years' warranty left. Genuinely in good condition, tuned regularly (3 -4 times per year), played pretty obsessively and never moved from its delivery position.

Anyone got any thoughts on how much it might be worth to a private buyer or to the trade and good ways to market it?

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
It depends on how quickly you want to sell it.

A new one can be bought for £17,199. Have it regulated and toned, and anything else that needs done to it, and hope for something betweem £8000 and £12,000. I think those figures might be optimistic in the current economic climate, but RX2 is a good piano, and if the warranty is transferable, then all the better.

There are some websites that are specifically for selling pianos, through a network of tuners etc, so you can try through there. I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you need a quick sale, phone a dealer and ask them if they'll take it. You'll probably get a very low price - around £4500 - £7500 I'm guessing - I come up with that guess based on the retail price, which means the wholesale price must be around 50 to 80 percent of the retail price, depending on retailer.

Good luck

YAMAHA Artist
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
A good place to advertise is uk-piano.org, easy to place an ad and upload pics and best of all it's free as far as I know.

Price is difficult as you say. Expensive pianos are not that easy to sell privately and most people looking to buy will want to buy from a dealer for peace of mind. The best thing to do is search as many dealer websites and private ads for similar pianos as possible, it will give you a better idea.

The new price of 17199 quoted above seems to be a discounted price which can be found on a couple of websites. However, a pupil of mine recently bought a brand new K3 upright and got a much better price than any I could find on the Internet so I would bet an RX2 could be had for closer to 16k. My initial thoughts would be around half that for a used instrument through private sale.

At the end of the day it's really up to you. Nothing wrong with asking a bit too much if you're in no hurry as you can always bring it down. Don't be too greedy though as you will waste money on listings with no interest. Make sure you describe it as fully as possible and include as many good photos as allowed. Seriously, there is a K3 on eBay at the moment selling for peanuts and I believe it's down to the shocking lack of info and poor pics in the listing.

eBay is worth a go for exposure. You will get some irritating emails from time wasters but it's easy enough to ignore them. Chances are a serious buyer will see it and contact you to make an appointment to view. Beware scammers though and be very suspicious of anyone who wants to buy without even coming to see it.

Pianist and piano teacher.
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks for your thoughts and advice. Sounds like £8,000 is the sort of figure I might end up getting.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission