Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2045056 - 03/08/13 12:52 PM Questions about two Scriabin preludes from Op. 11
Evaldas Offline

Loc: Vilnius
Ok, I have been wanting to learn to play the piano for a very long time, so I bought a 76 key Yamaha keyboard in 2008 and I thought that I could learn on my own blush, I wasn't really interested in classical music, so I was just messing around. Of course, that didn't work out. I started working last November and in the middle of December I've started taking lessons with a teacher, two times a week (except for February, - once a week), they're 45 min lessons. I bought an actual upright piano in January and now I've even started working 3/4 times instead of full time mostly to have more time to practice.
For a couple of last years I've been very interested in classical music. Anyway, long story short, I really like some Scriabin pieces. And I was very interested in Op. 11, Nos. 11 and 12. (The full Op. 11 score can be found on IMSLP). I'm not saying that I'm going to learn them right away. But I'm really interested how far away am I smile. I have them printed right now and I sometimes play the main melody (because it's fun playing familiar melodies)
To give you an idea of where I am, here's the last Czerny etude that was assigned to me. But we haven't even started using the pedals and it's probably impossible to play those pieces without pedal...
Anyways, no. 12 seems easier than 11, right? Of course, both of them are emotionally and musically difficult and that's where I struggle the most.
Basically I'm interested when can I show my teacher the score of no. 12, so that she wouldn't think I'm crazy smile? Sometime after she introduces the pedal? Or give it a good year laugh?
BTW, there's a great video of a 12 y/o girl on YouTube playing no. 11 pretty nicely smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2045069 - 03/08/13 01:22 PM Re: Questions about two Scriabin preludes from Op. 11 [Re: Evaldas]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
No one can prevent you from "playing around" with the Scriabin Preludes you mention, but from a purely technical, musical, and pedagogical point of view you are a long way from tackling these pieces. You have much foundation work to establish before beginning to think about working on repertoire like this.

In the blush of first musical experiences, one is often tempted to stretch oneself much beyond one's capabilities, but that road can lead to both frustration and even some injury if overdone.

With the Czerny study you don't say how long it has taken you to learn it, whether you play it well, or whether you are still struggling with it. Trying to give you a timeline for when you might be ready for the Scriabin (several years is a modest guess) is something that only your teacher can tell you because we all work on different learning curves.

Try to be patient and work on material that will help develop your musical experience and your technique so that when the time comes to approach the Scriabin you will be able to do his works justice and get enjoyment from studying them.

Regards,

#2045163 - 03/08/13 04:20 PM Re: Questions about two Scriabin preludes from Op. 11 [Re: Evaldas]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
If you like Scriabin, then listen to all the Preludes Op.11 on YouTube and you will find some that are much easier than the two you mentioned that you may well like as much.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, 30 invisible), 1407 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293100 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission