2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
One to one piano lessons in schools are very rare in the public sector. Most counties in the UK have a music service which offers instrumental tuition in schools, sometimes at a subsidised rate and sometimes not. It varies. Keyboard tuition is usually in groups and sometimes even whole classes at a time.

My own situation is different. The school where I work is an independent preparatory school. I'm employed by the school and teach individual lessons in much the same way that I do in my private home studio. Parents pay the school for lessons and the school pays me an hourly rate. For this reason it can be very difficult for me to refuse tuition to any pupil. I've had some issues with students over behaviour, lack of effort or practice or even those who just don't seem to want to be there. As said earlier they get weekly comments through the notebooks as well as a full report every term. I pass on problems to the head of department who will talk to parents about things. But at the end of the day if they want to keep paying the fees then I have little choice but to keep teaching them, especially if I want to keep my job.

Not sure if things are similar for the OP.

Pianist and piano teacher.
That is really intriguing, my daughter is in an Internationale Baccalaureate school. She has to choose a major in the arts as well as academics (middle school). Her major is performing arts so she has either band or group instruction for music throughout the week. In this case, she plays the clarinet. They also have teachers offer after school lessons. She takes that as well. As far as piano, which is my favorite, it is completely private and out of school. The only offering the school does is Jazz piano. I am in The States.

But, going back to the topic. We all have down times. My kid's clarinet instructor told me she was talented but needed to practice more. As far as I am concerned, she explained that my daughter could be getting far more out of lessons. I spoke to my kid, and asked her if she wanted to continue lessons and she said, absolutely. So although, she may not always be prepared she gets a something out of it. However, she's excelling in school as far as the band (lessons must be helping). As far as piano, she seems to always excel with 1/3 of the practice time I put in. So, in short, I am okay with continuing her clarinet lessons because she wants them. I think it's also important to mention... she's in a very academically rigorous program as well so it's okay to let her balance her priorities. To that, I would always explain to parents if you feel their kid is not getting the most proverbial bang for their buck by not practicing but let them decide if they want to continue. If they choose the latter, find ways to engage the student as the others have suggested. I know it must be tough to do what you do. I am extremely over-scheduled so the weeks I do not practice I tell my teacher to just endure the heck and apologize profusely smile.

OP Offline
Update: so after much deliberation and scheming, this student turns up with her book for the first time ever! I was visibly shocked! We had a discussion about what she wants to get from learning piano and we started working on a Rhianna song despite my inwardly despairing at the thought... But if it makes her happy and helps her progress then I'm happy. So will see how it goes.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Just started working on:
Clair de lune
Nocturne in c minor - Chopin
youtube.com/elysiumproject
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I recommend staying in close contact with the parents all the time - I do with all my younger students. Parents out-rank piano teachers for influence by a long shot, so you might as well utilize their influence.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am paid each semester per student via a private school that sets up my lessons. some students and parents are wonderful- they read and do the assignment notebook stuff!

others, well, I have one girl that started in January, aged 13, who has yet to even bring a notebook. I tear out a sheet of my own small notebook for her, and I have run copies of music for her, but she only looks at her music at home maybe once a week, as she packs her backpack for piano day.

so, what do I do?

I get her hands on the keyboard as much as possible, and play more "fun" music than a focused lesson working through a book.

I meet her where she is.

I read some great articles about this situation over the summer, stating basically, the parents KNOW their child has not practiced. They believe they are doing a good thing for their child, and as long as they are not berating you for the child's slow progress, all is ok.

(Do keep an assignment ntbk and date the music each week)

Even if they cannot tell a quarter note from a quarter horse, they know they are paying for their child to have 30 minutes or so with a professional music teacher. And if they are willing to pay it, then you can take the money and run a good lesson, even if it feels like pulling teeth--for now the child has to go to the piano teacher, just like we all have to go to the dentist. How do you want her to remember the experience?

Odds are, the student will not sign on for next year. That is ok. You cannot make them practice. You CAN make them nervous as all get out, and afraid of you and the mean lecture they think they will get, or you can do the best with what you have and drag them along at a dwarf snail's speed, but do it with a smile.

Yes, I come home and sound off to my family (without naming students) I am frustrated. But during the lesson, i really do try to keep a smile on my face and keep on encouraging the girl. smile

Last edited by missbelle; 03/27/13 10:47 PM.

Learning as I teach.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...You CAN make them nervous as all get out, and afraid of you and the mean lecture they think they will get, or you can do the best with what you have and drag them along at a dwarf snail's speed, but do it with a smile... I am frustrated. But during the lesson, i really do try to keep a smile on my face and keep on encouraging the girl..."

You are clearly of the school which kills more flies with honey than with vinegar. As long as the flies are dead, I can go with either.

Clef

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by missbelle
I am paid each semester per student via a private school that sets up my lessons. some students and parents are wonderful- they read and do the assignment notebook stuff!

others, well, I have one girl that started in January, aged 13, who has yet to even bring a notebook. I tear out a sheet of my own small notebook for her, and I have run copies of music for her, but she only looks at her music at home maybe once a week, as she packs her backpack for piano day.

so, what do I do?

I get her hands on the keyboard as much as possible, and play more "fun" music than a focused lesson working through a book.

I meet her where she is.

I read some great articles about this situation over the summer, stating basically, the parents KNOW their child has not practiced. They believe they are doing a good thing for their child, and as long as they are not berating you for the child's slow progress, all is ok.

(Do keep an assignment ntbk and date the music each week)

Even if they cannot tell a quarter note from a quarter horse, they know they are paying for their child to have 30 minutes or so with a professional music teacher. And if they are willing to pay it, then you can take the money and run a good lesson, even if it feels like pulling teeth--for now the child has to go to the piano teacher, just like we all have to go to the dentist. How do you want her to remember the experience?

Odds are, the student will not sign on for next year. That is ok. You cannot make them practice. You CAN make them nervous as all get out, and afraid of you and the mean lecture they think they will get, or you can do the best with what you have and drag them along at a dwarf snail's speed, but do it with a smile.

Yes, I come home and sound off to my family (without naming students) I am frustrated. But during the lesson, i really do try to keep a smile on my face and keep on encouraging the girl. smile

"Even if they cannot tell a quarter note from a quarter horse..."
LOL how funny!

Piano Teacher
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love the title of this thread "Infuriating students."
Now that Fordsnack's problem with a particularly infuriating student is solved, everyone can get back to the business of infuriating the rest of their students. wink

Learner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission