Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (anamnesis, AnimistFvR, Auntie Lynn, 28 invisible), 1295 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2045354 - 03/09/13 02:32 AM Sample
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
For those of you who have asked for a sample of my tuning, here is one, courtesy of a local PBS station:

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2045381 - 03/09/13 06:37 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
BDB,

Could you clue me in as to where the piano's microphones were located?

Why I'm asking: granted, I'm only listening on smallish headphones, but from what I hear, the voicings in the 3rd and the 4th octave are carrying through very warmly, while the 5th octave, especially at forte, sounds quite harsh, almost metallic. I was wondering whether that's to do with the recording, or my playback, or whether it was perhaps voiced that way deliberately?
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2045468 - 03/09/13 10:59 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

I really cannot, as I tuned and went home, but it is usually miked with a couple of mikes under the lid. The piano is an old Kawai 600 from the 1960s, which has seen a lot of use. I first tuned it for a show with Woody Herman, and when I tell people that now, they ask, "Who is Woody Herman?" It is kind of harsh in the upper registers, but as I often say, there are limits to how much voicing one can do. The television lights have an affect, too. It was warmer than usual on the stage.

#2059557 - 04/05/13 02:23 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

Bumping this for Maximillyan.

#2059676 - 04/05/13 08:49 AM Re: Sample [Re: Mark R.]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Mark R.
BDB,

Could you clue me in as to where the piano's microphones were located?

If possible, I like to hear pianos with no mic interface. I realize that's not possible in this case. If I do hear a recording, I withhold any critique unless the unisons and octaves are howling like a pack of wolves. Mics, room acoustics, and recording equipment mess up any good sound if they aren't perfect, and they seldom are.
-----

#2059723 - 04/05/13 09:46 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
As there :

What size is that piano ?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6GjQDkF_AMQVW5mbGFGOHBLTGs/edit?usp=sharing (sorry for the music wink

On the BDB record, unison seem to shorten the tone somehow (sorry)

Edited by Olek (04/05/13 09:54 AM)

#2059935 - 04/05/13 04:44 PM Re: Sample [Re: Olek]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Originally Posted By: Olek
As there :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6GjQDkF_AMQVW5mbGFGOHBLTGs/edit?usp=sharing (sorry for the music wink

Issac, can you explain what it is about a unison that will cause the tone to shorten?

#2059945 - 04/05/13 05:08 PM Re: Sample [Re: Chris Leslie]
dancarney Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Chris Leslie
As there :

Issac, can you explain what it is about a unison that will cause the tone to shorten?

Quicker decay, perhaps.

#2059964 - 04/05/13 05:50 PM Re: Sample [Re: dancarney]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dancarney
As there :

Quicker decay, perhaps.

Yes , Chris, I (thanks Dan) think that when we say "tune the attack" it is not the attack per se that is empowered by the tuning, more the decay moment, the attack is then cleaned because energy is immediately given to a larger spectra, then, the power allowed immediately can be regulated by tuning the decay more or less "late" . The range of possibilities is not that large and depends of the differences in spectras, iH, voicing, (string lenght eveness in the unison , string quality and hammer quality)

You can strive to obtain much power immediately, or allow the attack to "enlarge" , this gIves more control on tone to the pianist. I believe that basically the playing hand that tells the brain when to tune (hence the possibility to tune with earplugs up to some point, as the thickening of tone is perceived)

The idea "hear 2 strings as it was one" is good as long as the string imagined is thickened and more present, more lively.

The tone can be explosive but at the beginning of the aftersound.

I have no other easy trick than to evaluate how the tone escapes and "tune the attack", but to do so we need to focus on coupling at a certain level, when adfing the 3 string straightness of tone can be balanced.

Tuning good intruments make this easier to perceive.
Then, voicing can be envisaged leaving more power at the attack.

Greetings

#2194534 - 12/08/13 02:49 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Sent here via link on Max's thread.

Really nice BDB. Voiced just right for soft jazz. Piano and double bass compliment especially well.

Edited by bkw58 (12/08/13 03:00 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#2194810 - 12/09/13 01:17 AM Re: Sample [Re: Chris Leslie]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
As there :

This question was never answered.
Isaac seems not to know much about this sort of piano from this era. They had a tendency to shortness of sustain. Was this Isaac merely being pretentious again?

Eschew obfuscation.

#2194813 - 12/09/13 01:31 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

wink...

#2194819 - 12/09/13 01:42 AM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Thanks rxd. I asked because I notice on some pianos that some unisons seem to vanish quicker when tuned in while others, most, do not. I thought maybe that Isaac was thinking that this phenomena was happening on BDB's recording, so I was just wondering about a physical explanation.

Edited by Chris Leslie (12/09/13 01:58 AM)

#2194830 - 12/09/13 02:16 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You always can cut a little in tone at tuning time, then on old Japanese pianos short tone will be even worse. I listened with better equipment and could not decide if it was unison or the piano, but I had to go before listening to the whole video.
Then
Then if you lengthen the (fundamental) tone by tuning unison at FFF so you get more energy to drive, but dynamics may lower.

That just relate to the use of impact energy, but when the piano have short sustain, that one reduce your options. Eventually, playing very strong while tuning gives a little more material to work with. And the player can do the same then.

Music very nicely played

Edited by Olek (12/09/13 03:05 AM)

#2194840 - 12/09/13 03:00 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
bkw58 Offline

Does the pianist not have at least something to say about it? It's not like he's poking around on an old Underwood. He takes the best that the tuner can provide with what he has to work with and creates his desire with very specific skills at his finger tips.

#2194867 - 12/09/13 05:17 AM Re: Sample [Re: bkw58]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bkw58
Does the pianist not have at least something to say about it? It's not like he's poking around on an old Underwood. He takes the best that the tuner can provide with what he has to work with and creates his desire with very specific skills at his finger tips.

I must confess to not listening again, I started to but refused to pick through all the talking but the pianist can do much more than we think.

The sustain varies very subtly from note to note in all pianos. A stage piano doesn't always get the maintenance it should and equality of sustain suffers.
while there are ways of poking through the strings with a long needle to obtain more sustain from the hammer, tuning on the day of a big production like this rarely allows for any refinement.

I have to sincerely question isaacs experience of this kind of work. He claims to know but his comments show a distinct lack of understanding. There's more of self promotion in his nit picking criticism. I would expect sympathy with the situation from a real fellow professional. He sounds to me like a really talented amateur who hangs around the profession and then totally falls apart when the real job has to be done. I've known quite a few.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2194882 - 12/09/13 06:37 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I may have lost some of my goodwill energy, may be.

I don't do much concert work those days indeed. You would it be you had to listen to numerous samples of my work so you could admit how great I am...

You can stay sitting, no problem. Beside, I am presumptuous as all Frenchies probably.
With all due respect to honorable colleagues...

Edited by Olek (12/09/13 09:59 AM)

#2194887 - 12/09/13 07:24 AM Re: Sample [Re: bkw58]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

This sample sounds as good now as it did eight months ago. The piano is marvelous and the musicians are top-notch. I may start sounding like a skipping record (remember those?), but microphones don't hear like we do. For broadcast purposes, sound is limited or compressed, or both, so it won't sound like it does in the actual performance in the room. 'Great job!
-----

#2194893 - 12/09/13 07:58 AM Re: Sample [Re: David Jenson]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: David Jenson

This sample sounds as good now as it did eight months ago. The piano is marvelous and the musicians are top-notch. I may start sounding like a skipping record (remember those?), but microphones don't hear like we do. For broadcast purposes, sound is limited or compressed, or both, so it won't sound like it does in the actual performance in the room. 'Great job!

Yes, if a piano sounds the same after 8 months, that is great stability. wink

#2194938 - 12/09/13 10:31 AM Re: Sample [Re: UnrightTooner]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: UnrightTooner
Originally Posted By: David Jenson

Yes, if a piano sounds the same after 8 months, that is great stability. wink

You might have just discovered a new way to look at piano tuning stability: literarily. This is great! Think I'll look too. Could be one of my tunings has been holding for some 10 years now. Come to think of it, literarily is really not the best word here. We may need to coin a new adverb: audio-literarily. (I'll race you to the copyright office.) laugh

Edited by bkw58 (12/09/13 10:33 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2194994 - 12/09/13 12:44 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

Not only has the tuning not changed in that recording, the comments have not either.

On the other hand, that piano has been tuned 4 or 5 times since that was made.

#2195066 - 12/09/13 02:39 PM Re: Sample [Re: Olek]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I may have lost some of my goodwill energy, may be.

I don't do much concert work those days indeed. You would it be you had to listen to numerous samples of my work so you could admit how great I am...

You can stay sitting, no problem. Beside, I am presumptuous as all Frenchies probably.
With all due respect to honorable colleagues...

Isaac, you sayin you're a hazbin?

No no no. That accolade belongs to me and I'm not ready to relinquish it yet.

Just a little longer???

Eschew obfuscation.

#2195280 - 12/09/13 08:19 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Thanks for posting, BDB. It sounds good as one would expect in a broadcast recording. Kawais of that era did not have the best of bridge caps. That could contribute to the short sustain, also contamination such as some kind of muck that we don't really see but is there. If you are a tuner asked to tune a piano for an event like this, there are some things you can't change on the spot. Leave to Isaac, however to not find anything nice to say about anyone's efforts.

#2195287 - 12/09/13 08:38 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
About 20 minutes in there's a nice piano solo. Nice job BDB! The piano sounded marvelous!
www.thattuningguy.com

#2196133 - 12/11/13 02:57 PM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
alfredo capurso Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sicily - Italy
Originally Posted By: rxd

I must confess to not listening again, I started to but refused to pick through all the talking but the pianist can do much more than we think.

The sustain varies very subtly from note to note in all pianos. A stage piano doesn't always get the maintenance it should and equality of sustain suffers.
while there are ways of poking through the strings with a long needle to obtain more sustain from the hammer, tuning on the day of a big production like this rarely allows for any refinement.

I have to sincerely question isaacs experience of this kind of work. He claims to know but his comments show a distinct lack of understanding. There's more of self promotion in his nit picking criticism. I would expect sympathy with the situation from a real fellow professional. He sounds to me like a really talented amateur who hangs around the profession and then totally falls apart when the real job has to be done. I've known quite a few.

rxd,

I think that only a boor would direct those words to a technician as Isaac, and I do not see how that style can help to describe our work. I think you ought to apologize.

#2196202 - 12/11/13 05:32 PM Re: Sample [Re: alfredo capurso]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: alfredo capurso

rxd,

I think that only a boor would direct those words to a technician as Isaac, and I do not see how that style can help to describe our work. I think you ought to apologize.

I quite agree and understand fully where you're coming from and the emotional content carried over from other threads. - an all too common occurrence.
Since you raised the issue again, It took a few words in order to address an ongoing problem. A totally unfounded, unnecessary and pretentious criticism of a compressed recording couldn't go unchallenged at the same level.

Am I to assume that you agree with isaacs original "criticism" when he himself posted later an admission that he really couldn't tell the difference between what was the piano and what was the tuning and then delete that post a few hours later?

I suggest you read the complete thread. It's all there and doesn't need the deleted parts to be indefensible.

Constructive criticism-Yes.
Self serving, Ill considered boorish and unfounded carping,- a resounding No.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196344 - 12/11/13 11:00 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
When I first began piano tuning it was rare for a technician to tune for another or to seek out other tuners opinion of their work. Then some brave souls such as Jim Colemen Sr., Jack Caskey, and a few others I am forgetting at the moment would present programs where they tuned for the attendees. We have progressed in openness.

Thanks for posting the clip BDB.

Edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT (12/11/13 11:00 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2196378 - 12/12/13 01:26 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

Those of us who tune for performances are always putting our tunings on display, although it is usually fairly anonymous. I have tuned that piano for a movie, where I am fairly certain that I did not get credit. (I have not seen it, and heard it was not very good. The plot seemed stupid.) I will tune it one more time this year for New Year's Eve.

I got curious, and found that there are a number of videos with pianos that I had tuned on YouTube. Many of them are amateur recordings and they do not sound very good, although the tuning seems adequate. There are better recordings of many performances which remain locked in the vaults until who knows when, the archival recordings of performances.

#2196486 - 12/12/13 10:33 AM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
lluiscl Offline

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

#2196492 - 12/12/13 11:04 AM Re: Sample [Re: lluiscl]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lluiscl

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

I've known a lot of people like you, too.

Go back and educate yourself with the details. It's about making crass judgements then admitting not enough knowledge of the situation and looking foolish.

Sound familiar?

Oh, and I don't have a reason to drink.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196494 - 12/12/13 11:08 AM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
lluiscl Offline

rxd... sounds like a model of car...

#2196529 - 12/12/13 12:20 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...rxd... sounds like a model of car..."

lluis, if you can't support your argument by anything better than an outright ad hominem attack, you would do better to keep silent. It's not the kind of board where such is tolerated for long.

#2196531 - 12/12/13 12:26 PM Re: Sample [Re: lluiscl]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

.......and faster than most.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196537 - 12/12/13 12:33 PM Re: Sample [Re: Jeff Clef]
lluiscl Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

lluis, if you can't support your argument by anything better than an outright ad hominem attack, you would do better to keep silent. It's not the kind of board where such is tolerated for long.

Yes, you are right.
But, FIRST, I think, Mr. rxd must clarify (apologize) his unjustified attacks against Mr. Olek.

#2196550 - 12/12/13 01:02 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
BDB Online   content

I think Mr Oleg makes attacks on others all the time. It is hard to tell, because his writing is so unclear. Because of his poor writing, I consider everything he says to be unjustified, in the most literal sense of the word. I tend to ignore him, except when what he says may be construed as harmful, which is pretty often, unfortunately.

I do not understand what he said about the sustain of the piano. I think the sustain of that piano is about par for a 45 year old Kawai. New strings and hammers would help, I know, but they are not in the budget, except for those strings which have been replaced as they break, which do not count. I ignored his comment, but it seems to have poisoned other people's perception.

#2196565 - 12/12/13 02:05 PM Re: Sample [Re: lluiscl]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, you are right.
But, FIRST, I think, Mr. rxd must clarify (apologize) his unjustified attacks against Mr. Olek.

Then, why didn't you simply say that in the first place?

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196570 - 12/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
lluiscl Offline

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

I've known a lot of people like you, too.

Really? Do you know me, TOO?
We can begin FIRST for this sentence.

(Me, and other, are waiting for your apologizes too, FIRST).

#2196584 - 12/12/13 02:54 PM Re: Sample [Re: lluiscl]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Yes, you are right.

Querulant alert.

Kees

#2196623 - 12/12/13 04:32 PM Re: Sample [Re: rxd]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle

And still with plastic parts.
Church Music Professional

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2196759 - 12/12/13 10:56 PM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Maybe RXD is a new McLaren model. Bet that has gobs of carbon fiber in it!

#2196802 - 12/13/13 01:28 AM Re: Sample [Re: SMHaley]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SMHaley

And still with plastic parts.

It's the plastic parts that are keeping me alive.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196822 - 12/13/13 02:35 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I think Mr Oleg makes attacks on others all the time. It is hard to tell, because his writing is so unclear. Because of his poor writing, I consider everything he says to be unjustified, in the most literal sense of the word. I tend to ignore him, except when what he says may be construed as harmful, which is pretty often, unfortunately.

I do not understand what he said about the sustain of the piano. I think the sustain of that piano is about par for a 45 year old Kawai. New strings and hammers would help, I know, but they are not in the budget, except for those strings which have been replaced as they break, which do not count. I ignored his comment, but it seems to have poisoned other people's perception.

Nobody in their right mind would criticise your tuning, we all know pianos that are doing good service in general purpose rooms with no budget for better maintenance. It's a credit to those pianos and their carers that they sound as good as they do.
Some of those rooms don't have a piano any more, obliging anyone using the hall to rent their own.

Great job. BDB

Eschew obfuscation.

#2196833 - 12/13/13 03:11 AM Re: Sample [Re: BDB]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am reminded of the number of halls t have not been charging separately for the use of the piano. When they do, it doesn't reflect true value when I tell them to consider and compare the cost of renting in if their piano was not made so readily and conveniently available.

There's no guarantee the extra income would be spent on piano maintenance.
And oh! The abuse those house pianos get.

(point of interest, it was published that the famous Wigmore hall was spending 16,000 P.A on piano maintenance a few years ago. Probably nearer 20 now. 2 x 9' concert instruments one or the other, whichever has been chosen gets daily attention and more plus servicing for both every 10-15 days. The five smaller dressing room and reception room instruments only get 5-6 times a year).

Eschew obfuscation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159357 Topics
2340888 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission