Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2044803 - 03/07/13 09:50 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
First place goes to...
the Pineapple!

Polyphonist

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2044812 - 03/07/13 10:12 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
You might want to look at Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery. He has practices that can help you train yourself to shift the focus away from yourself and self-consciousness about performance, back to being in the music. I've gotten a lot of help from this with performance anxiety.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2044822 - 03/07/13 10:40 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Will look that up! Thanks.

#2044830 - 03/07/13 11:10 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: Polyphonist]
albynism Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
First place goes to...
the Pineapple!

Hmm..let me think of a good comeback to that. In the meantime the pineapple can enjoy its moment of glory.

#2044841 - 03/08/13 12:07 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
alby, you've gotten lots of advice but I'm going to stick my 2 cents in, anyway.

If your goal is to be able to play in public, this event is a step to that. However, if that is not a goal, I'd tell my teacher in no uncertain terms that I will not perform in any type of recital/competition/public display of humiliation, ever. But, that's just me. You're the boss and IMO, recitals are more for the teachers than the students as a method of free advertising. Some instructors may disagree with me, and that's okay. These are just my opinions.

If you really want to learn to play in front of people without getting the heeby jeebies, try starting out with something much less threatening than a recital, like visiting a nearby senior living center and practice on their piano. Make it fun for yourself. I'll bet the residence will love it and they won't care a hoot about bloopers.

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2044884 - 03/08/13 03:49 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: albynism
And yes I entered this competition with no intention of "winning" just an opportunity to perform. I told my teacher and she just said "oh you never know, you might win something..."

Sounds like your teacher thinks you got something? Also thinks maybe you learned from your last experience?

I don't mean to argue with the concert pianist mentioned. Remember that book I suggested? That woman has been a concert pianist. Also teacher. Mostly she works with accomplished performers who have injuries. Accomplished people having other problems also. She gives examples of great performers and what they do to be relaxed and at home, so to speak, in the environment of performing. I think you will find it extremely interesting. If you read the book.

I'll also give you an example of mine. I have written this here before. When I was a kid I played two instruments in band at school. Didn't play piano then. My band director asked me to do a solo at contest. I accepted. We were there. All the kids were coming out of their solo's saying: "Oh she's tough! I crashed!" By the time my chance came, I was all nervous. I went in there trying to play all perfect and nervous. Even though the judge acted very relaxed and personable. Somehow, something seemed to sweep through there and just knocked me out, four bars into the solo. I stopped. Then knowing I had blown it. I started again, and played like I played at home. Had nothing to lose. Even at the end. I threw in a litte toot toot te toot. What the heck. I had nothing to lose. Right?
Well... I left the room and went out and sat under a tree. Waited to go home. After a while. My band director came up to me and said: "You won! You got a first rating!" I looked at him rather strange. He said: "Go on up to the judging table and get your medal!" So I got up and went to the table. A lady handed me a medal and my judging paper. I ignored the medal and opened the judging sheet. Scrawled all across the paper in big big letters was: "I ENJOYED IT" Now I was really bewildered. I had to think about this. I stopped four bars into this. And I got a first rating. I checked around. Wasn't able to find any other kids from any of the other schools who got a first rating on a solo. No others from mine did. There were quartets and such who got some first ratings. But no solo! Just me??? Why??? I thought about how my band director loved music. He was a very straight person. But when the music started, it was like he turned on. Loved music. I thought about the judge herself. I thought about some of the other kids I knew. One in particular was great at playing the notes perfect, but often times it wasn't music. What I learned that day was that the judge wanted music. She didn't give a diddily about a mistake. She wanted music!
Now people really don't care a diddily about mistakes. They want music. They don't want to endure a perfect performance that isn't music. They want music! You ain't gonna do this if you're nervous. Worrying about mistakes.
If you go out there and give them music. You will knock their socks off! They won't care if you make a mistake or two. You give them music and you've won!
I might add... People who are all worried about mistakes and perfect copy. Music hasn't started to occur to them.

#2044898 - 03/08/13 04:29 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Lovely story, Rmaple. A great read!

#2044926 - 03/08/13 06:56 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
rnaple Offline

Thank you landorrano...

I'd like to share another example on the biggest scale.

Many people don't care for classical. I'm not that crazy about much classical in general. However, there is one conductor who changed me entirely. Do an experiment for yourself....

Go get a copy of a Symphony doing Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Just the last/4th part. It's popularly called: Ode to Joy.

Now listen to that. I guarantee. Any symphony besides one. I personally will think not much of it. Anybody asks and I would say it's good. I will patronize their efforts.

Then...go get yourself a copy of Seiji Ozawa doing Beethoven's 9th. Just listen to: Ode to Joy. It will knock your socks off. It is a fantastic piece of music. Seiji gets it!

There is a world of difference between Seiji and everyone else. Why? I'm afraid the classical world is filled with people trying too hard to do perfect copy. They fail to make it music. They fail to recognize the intent, the heart of the music.

Edited by rnaple (03/08/13 07:12 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2044941 - 03/08/13 08:24 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Thanks got sharing Ron, very inspiring read.

#2044964 - 03/08/13 09:31 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: rnaple]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I'm afraid the classical world is filled with people trying too hard to do perfect copy. They fail to make it music. They fail to recognize the intent, the heart of the music.

This story is as banal as the other was nice. You should have quit while you were ahead!

#2044996 - 03/08/13 10:41 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: landorrano]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: landorrano

This story is as banal as the other was nice. You should have quit while you were ahead!

I'm trying to understand your advice. Are you saying that rnaple should have stopped doing something while a young student? Or are you saying that he should not have told us the story that most of us found fascinating in its entirety?

#2045004 - 03/08/13 10:52 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Keystring.

#2045009 - 03/08/13 11:05 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: landorrano]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hi Keystring.

Hi landorrano. smile

#2045011 - 03/08/13 11:06 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: Gigantoad]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Gigantoad
What's the benefit of a competition to begin with? Music should never be a competition. If this will help you get over the fear of performing in public, fine. But then I would ask: do you even want to perform in public? Do you have plans to make this your job later on? Otherwise I see no benefit and no reason for you to suffer at all.

+1

#2045068 - 03/08/13 01:19 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Yes I want to be able to perform in public, maybe not a job, but if there is a piano somewhere in a hotel or a bar then Yes I want to play them. smile

#2045215 - 03/08/13 06:16 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: landorrano]
rnaple Offline

To be honest. I'm not sure how to take that?
Is it that everyone already knows all about Seiji?

#2045220 - 03/08/13 06:23 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
rnaple Offline

Yes I want to be able to perform in public, maybe not a job, but if there is a piano somewhere in a hotel or a bar then Yes I want to play them. smile

That caused me to think of the Big Bang Theory show. Where Penny gets Sheldon drunk without him knowing. He plays the keyboard in the bar and sings.
Maybe it's because??? All you have to do is get drunk and you won't care??? Seems to work for millions of karaoke fans. ????

#2045235 - 03/08/13 07:07 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think alcohol messes with your coordination....don't know about you but I need all the coordination I can get!!. After one glass of wine ...maybe.... More than 1 or 2??

I haven't read all the posts but I'd go for it! What's the worst that coud happen? I have a practice buddy that even signed up for a sight reading-bee. No one else did however so it didn't happen but she takes all the opportunity she can and it really makes a difference in her playing.......I still don't have the nerve but if my teacher wanted me to play in a recital I think it would be a great motivator to polish and perform!!

#2045286 - 03/08/13 10:23 PM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
Oongawa Offline

chances are that the only person in the room who will know that piece as well as you is the teacher.

The kids probably haven't played it. The adults are mostly listening just to their kid.

Unless you trip on your way across the stage, 5 minutes after it's over you will be the only one who remembers the details.

Practice well and go for it. You'll be fine or your teacher wouldn't have suggested it.
Beethoven - Minuet in G
Bach - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#2045386 - 03/09/13 06:50 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

had my lesson today. Teacher confirmed she put me in two categories *gasp*! Open age Two contrasting work. And open age romantic work. So it means I will have to prepare three pieces... Within a month! I can play two fairly well, the other one will need a LOT of work. Better start practicing.
Thanks everyone for the inspiring stories and motivation
I let you know how it goes.

#2045387 - 03/09/13 06:56 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Prepare 3 pieces in 1 month?? I would suggest instead to relax on this and take only pieces that you already know, and polish them in that month ;-)

#2045393 - 03/09/13 07:34 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: wouter79]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Prepare 3 pieces in 1 month?? I would suggest instead to relax on this and take only pieces that you already know, and polish them in that month ;-)

100% agree
you should be fine with them and play without thinking "oh what is the next bar" etc

->albynism
go there and just play it. don't think about the COMPETITION. just treat it as public performance. Try to realax and play.
I know it's easy to say, but as I have little stage experience, I alwasy worried about my playing, and I was about 5 year older in my piano school than other kids and I felt very strangely and non-comfortable being 19 while other were 12 laugh

But if it's open age I think there will be a lot of adults.

Unfortunately, in Poland the amateur piano playing, competitions etc completely don't exist so there's even no possibility to participate in competition like this, which I would go with smile from ear to ear, just to play for some public the piece that I like a lot and feel confident,
but I can't frown

I play 90% classic also, but in your place I would go without heasitating. Just to being comfortable with stage and public.
Maybe you should speak with your teacher about cancelling one piece?
You should feel comfortable, not stressed.

Go there and have a luck smile

#2045415 - 03/09/13 08:57 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Albynism,
Remember to keep breathing. I've heard that part is important smile. I applaud you for taking on this challenge and stretching yourself as a musician. As I said before, I think that means you've already succeeded. Best wishes to you for a great and productive experience, and a hope that somewhere along the way you find yourself enjoying the process and the results!

#2045779 - 03/10/13 04:17 AM Re: So...my teacher thought it was smart to enroll me in a comp [Re: albynism]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

So it means I will have to prepare three pieces... Within a month! I can play two fairly well, the other one will need a LOT of work.

Good morning. One thing for sure: your teacher thinks that you need a push and she is giving it. Sounds like a kind person.

Besides, I'll bet that deep down, in your heart of hearts, you are just dying to play in public!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
09/21/14 06:04 PM
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
09/21/14 04:27 PM
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
09/21/14 04:17 PM
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
09/21/14 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
09/21/14 01:37 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, Amwriter, 38 invisible), 1436 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157673 Topics
2315965 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission