2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by abitconfused
Two questions I guess for 'Kawai James'...

Fire away!

1. With the 20 watt amp and 12cm speakers and 'New Harmonic Sound Engine', will the CA15 basically perform like a CN24 but with wooden keys and fewer voices?

Yes, this is a very close comparison. The CN24 and CA15 both share the same 'Progressive Harmonic Imaging' piano sampling, and utilise the new, more powerful tone generator with improved polyphony, reverb, and effects.

I rather like the CN24 and a version with an even better keybed would be interesting to me

The CA15 is a definite step-up over the CN24, yet retains the 'piano-oriented' focus.

2. Will the software curves defined for the VPC also work with the CA15?

No, I'm afraid not. The CA15 and VPC1 may share the same 'RM3 Grand II' keyboard action, however they are quite different in every other respect.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
@KawaiJames-

Thank you for the clarification

This sounds like it could be a very nice piano. As with some others my only concern is the lack of line-in which is somewhat limiting: a kit enabling this could be a very attractive after-market option

To the poster who was concerned about speaker size: I've done a little bit of work on speaker design, and driver dimensions are not the only parameter when looking for low frequency extension or general sound quality. One really needs to hear how the instrument sounds in person before drawing conclusions on this point

abitconfused, I understand your suggestion about the line-in. However, the CA15 is intended as an introduction to the 'Concert Artist' series - essentially an affordable piano-oriented DP, with the emphasis on the keyboard action and piano sound, rather than additional features.

I share your opinion about the speakers too. The CA15 (like the previous generation CA13) has a particularly good sound system, despite its relatively compact size.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...with the emphasis on the keyboard action and piano sound, rather than additional features.

This.

A
A
Originally Posted by JFP

Basically it's a ca-13 with RM3-II thrown in as new feature. Price here with 21% VAT is € 1799

It's just been listed on Thomann for that price with a delivery date of 30 April

The VPC is Euro 1325 and listed as available now(!) and the CA-65 is Euro 2269. CN-34 is Euro 1499

I personally feel they've priced the CA-15 a bit high in comparison to the others for its features and my interest has dropped a bit

D
D
The CA15 has no USB port, but is it realy expansive for KAWAI to add this option ?
And how can we do the same thing with a MIDI port ?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think I am set on buying this one when it comes out. Has anyone here played on the VPC1? I presume the action will be identical.

What is the best Kawai action? Is it the GF? How are all the current actions ranked? Which pianos have the GF action?

Casio Privia PX-150

OP Offline
GF-s action is momentarily available with the CA65, CA95,
RM3-II with CA15 and VPC1

I am very interested too, whether by which margin and to which extent GF is superior to RM3-II? What features are different?
(weighting, responsiveness, hardness, stiffness, noise, repetition...subjective feeling)

What parameters of GF are superb, what of RM3-II?

Is it conceivable to prefer RM3-II to the GF (disregard price)?

I understand, that GF key length is significantly longer and in theory it should be a clear advantage, but how in praxis?

Last edited by Temperament; 03/10/13 10:46 AM.
Does anyone else find the music stand looks short? How does it hold individual sheets of music? If there is a problem I hope it gets fixed in the next upgrade.

Casio Privia PX-150

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Temperament

I understand, that GF key length is significantly longer and in theory it should be a clear advantage, but how in praxis?

I think we all want to know this--I know I do. Unfortunately only a few people have played both and reported back. My feeling looking over the comments of people who have played both it seems that the differences are not very large. At least not large enough that they immediately get reported.

Last edited by gvfarns; 03/10/13 12:52 PM.
M
M
Kawai CA15, March 2013

Unboxing. Assembly. Playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SxF6sPg1JY

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by mactoe
Kawai CA15, March 2013

Great video!

Especially appreciate the segment demonstrating the sound of the keys during silent play. What a quiet keyboard! Perhaps one of the best dps out there for silent play without disturbing house mates or (downstairs) neighbors!

Originally Posted by mactoe
Kawai CA15, March 2013

Thank you for the video mactoe.

The inclusion of the bench suggests that you are not based in Europe, and this model is not sold in North America, which leads me to believe you may be based in Asia.

Anyway, thank you once again for posting the video, and congrats on your new piano!

Kind regards,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hardboard!Hardboard!
Could someone add this to the improvements list?

Now, seriously: when talking about a new or improved tone generator, what do you exactly mean? Is it better than, i.e.,ES7?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
S
S
Originally Posted by Temperament
I am very interested too, whether by which margin and to which extent GF is superior to RM3-II? What features are different?
(weighting, responsiveness, hardness, stiffness, noise, repetition...subjective feeling)

I haven't tried RM3-II but I did try RM3-I and GF. The first was a bit to heavy for me, and the second was slightly to light. Some weights in the back of the key could have been a solution. Nonetheless, the long distance to pivot is nice.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Same here, I also compared RM3-I and GF recently (since I'm interested in the VPC which also features RM3-II). Both actions (played without sound) are very good, and while the longer keys are nice for sure and make for a very enjoyable playing (I tried it on the CA65) I would think both actions are so nice that it all depends on how well sound and action are integrated.

Of course the third sensor is crucial as it influences the behavior of the action, hence RM3-I goes only so far as a comparison.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by maurus
I would think both actions are so nice that it all depends on how well sound and action are integrated.

Indeed.

This is the reason I prefer Roland's offering. The keyboard may not have any wood in it like Kawai's, but the PHAIII keyboard is fast and responsive and its integration with a realistic, alive sounding tone generator is very well done allowing one to articulate and color.

M
M
Originally Posted by theJourney

Great video!

Especially appreciate the segment demonstrating the sound of the keys during silent play. What a quiet keyboard! Perhaps one of the best dps out there for silent play without disturbing house mates or (downstairs) neighbors!

The Audio Technica headphones, in the vid, do have a slight "noise leakage" at mid volume. So sound can be slightly heard from it if seated in close proximity.

Etymotic's hf5 earphones, not in vid but used on occasion, at the same level, however, produce no "noise leakage."

Saying that, I can quite comfortably be in the next room without being disturbed with either 'phone being used.

We did look at others models and piano brands, notably the Yamaha CLP430-440, if i can recall correctly. For what it is, the CA15 ticked all the requirements.

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Thank you for the video mactoe.

The inclusion of the bench suggests that you are not based in Europe, and this model is not sold in North America, which leads me to believe you may be based in Asia.

Anyway, thank you once again for posting the video, and congrats on your new piano!

Kind regards,
James
x

smile

No worries.

Last edited by mactoe; 06/02/13 09:40 PM.
C
C
Hello all,

Came across this very nice video and thought might be good to share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyUKWsBmGro

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission