Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2045577 - 03/09/13 04:56 PM Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today.
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I sat down at NU1 and was immediately impressed. I thought the high end samples were superior to my N2. I did enjoy the action and I did start to think about owning one.

After about ten minutes I noticed a few things that changed my mind about ever owning one in place of N2. First I noticed that there were some imperfections with the samples. Ab5 and Eb6 among some others using Piano 1 were noticeably sounded different and stood out when playing a chromatic line through those notes. The other thing was the action was definitely upright and had trouble playing a fast melody like Donna Lee.

The sound was nice but it didn't seem as deep and full as N2. Overall though, a very nice instrument and a much better buy. The place in NH was still selling N2 for $9995.00. I didn't see price on NU1 and it had the plexiglass like some of the early videos had; obviously a demo model.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2045608 - 03/09/13 05:58 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The other thing was the action was definitely upright and had trouble playing a fast melody like Donna Lee.

That's what I like about it. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2045630 - 03/09/13 06:43 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
titowsky Offline

I had the same problems with 2 NU1 models: some keys sounded really different.
But at least the new one the shop ordered for me, after trying many many chromatic scales at different intensity, has not shown this issue... otherwise for sure I would not have bought it.

#2045632 - 03/09/13 06:50 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
It was my first time today playing the NU1 as well. I tested it side by side with an AG (not sure about the model, I guess the N1) and a real Yamaha baby grand. This was in the Centre Chopin in Paris.

I played the 25-1 Etude and Em Prelude of Chopin. NU1 failed miserably on both! It's just not good for the fast arpeggios of the etude, furthermore I failed to make it sing for the prelude, the dynamics was not precise. Yeah, it could be me or the upright action but I didn't had this difficulty with AG or the real grand. To be honest I didn't like the AG either, there was some hardness in the keys, it's not exactly stiffness, it's more of a hardness, or hard bottoming. And the keys were a little bit heavier than the baby grand. All in all even the entry level baby grand beats them. However I was too picky about the AG and I can positively say it is the best feeling non-digital piano I have ever played and I would buy without a doubt if I had the space and the money.

#2045803 - 03/10/13 05:44 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
So, what is the best action for classical, in your opinion?

#2045809 - 03/10/13 06:11 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I would get the AG N1 for classical music. And regarding the perceived hardness of the keys, I've been told by piano technicians that most brand new acoustic pianos need some period of break-in, so supposedly N1 will feel even smoother with the time.

#2045811 - 03/10/13 06:15 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: Qbert]
titowsky Offline

In my humble opinion NU1 is not bad. I tried both the N3 and Kawai CA95: N3 has better action of course but price and size for me make no sense... I would go for an acoustic grand. CA95 has very good sound and nice size but the action seemed artificial to me.

I found NU1 a good compromise of almost all: realistic action, acceptable sound and price... at more than 5k€ I would go for a Silent upright.
But I still have to receive it at home and make extensive use, then I will be more detailed...

#2045812 - 03/10/13 06:38 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: Qbert]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Qbert
So, what is the best action for classical, in your opinion?

For practicing or performance?

I played a €100,000 nine foot Steinway at a local theater which was a pleasure to perform on since it was so easy to play - it responded extremely well. It was like driving a sports car that responded effortlessly to whatever I wanted it to do.

I just wouldn't want that piano to practice on however since it was so easy to play. Why? When I go to play pianos that are less friendly, so to speak, the piano will have the upper hand and not me.

I played jobs on upright pianos that were an absolute bear to play ... and I would have wanted those pianos at home for practice purposes.

I liked the NU1 since for me I found it more difficult to play than my N3. If I could nail a run on the NU1 I could nail it with less effort on my N3.

Just a thought.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2045814 - 03/10/13 07:04 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
That's a very good point. There are some pieces however where I do think you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't have a grand action to practice on.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#2046077 - 03/10/13 05:31 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: debrucey]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

For me it's all about good grand action. I suffered with too many uprights in my life. I don't see any advantage practicing on an upright if you own a grand. If I was practicing for the tour de France, I wouldn't ride a bike cruiser, hoping it will make my skills better and a stronger rider. It might just frustrate me enough to throwing my horn off a bridge smile

#2046350 - 03/11/13 05:02 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: titowsky
In my humble opinion NU1 is not bad. I tried both the N3 and Kawai CA95: N3 has better action of course but price and size for me make no sense... I would go for an acoustic grand. CA95 has very good sound and nice size but the action seemed artificial to me.

I found NU1 a good compromise of almost all: realistic action, acceptable sound and price... at more than 5k€ I would go for a Silent upright.
But I still have to receive it at home and make extensive use, then I will be more detailed...

I believe that there are a lot of us who will be very interested in keeping tabs on your longer term experience with the NU1 given that you are already an experienced Yamaha Silent Piano owner and player.

Looking forward to hearing your future reports!

#2046507 - 03/11/13 02:50 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: theJourney]
titowsky Offline

Originally Posted By: theJourney

I believe that there are a lot of us who will be very interested in keeping tabs on your longer term experience with the NU1 given that you are already an experienced Yamaha Silent Piano owner and player.

Looking forward to hearing your future reports!

Ok, tomorrow morning my new NU1 will be delivered at home in substitution to my CA95 (anyway a wonderful instrument from all the points of view, maybe the best DP... but still a DP, and the very very good and sensible action was not enough for me).

I am still concerned, I still do not know it I will ever get used to (or completely satisfied by) a hybrid. I can say that even possessing a Yamaha C6, for many years I prepared recitals/small competitions mainly on the Silent (just playing in the night, I work as engineer)... and I never had problems then playing on grands. I modified my Silent with some weights in the mechanics (done by a professional tuner) in order to increase the fingers strenght while playing just a couple of hours a day.
I am a strange pianist: I am used to slowly repeat all Chopin's etudes watching a small TV in front of me and without listening what I am doing (I concentrate just on the feeling of my mucles), then using headphones or acoustic for just half an hour... so for me the sound is not the most important thing, but feeling that my fingers are doing their daily work smile

Let's see with the NU1...

#2046633 - 03/11/13 07:01 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
EJT Offline

Loc: South Bend, Indiana
Titowsky:
I love my NU1. I like the sounds but mostly love the touch and feel of the keyboard. I was most concerned about the touch of my new DP and originally was looking at kawai ca65. Then the store had this and my wife gave me the green light to get the NU1.

A request: would you please describe the bench that comes with it (if you're in the US). My first bench was generic; I spoke to store owner who sold my piano and asked why the pictures of it have "yamaha" on the bench and it appears adjustable. Today, he sent me a new bench with yamaha but not adjustable (though the manual claims the bench is adjustable). I don't want to be pushy with him if I'm mistaken; he's been awesome through the purchase. But I don't want to get less than what I paid for, either.

Edited by EJT (03/11/13 07:02 PM)

#2046692 - 03/11/13 09:49 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
ahhsmurf Offline

It was like driving a sports car that responded effortlessly to whatever I wanted it to do.

#2046696 - 03/11/13 09:54 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am a strange pianist

Yes, I would have to agree with you there ... smile

But ... Hey !!! Whatever floats your boat !

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2046809 - 03/12/13 03:43 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
titowsky Offline

So... I just received it and it looks wonderful smile
Tried also Chopin 25-1 etude and does not seem too bad (I am not pretending to get a "magic sound" out of that), but this evening I will play seriously.

Regarding the chair: it is a generic one (no Yamaha brand). Adjustable but generic as it was the previous one they provided with my ex-CA95. I am in Germany.
I explicitely asked for the "included chair" but... ok, I do not want to complain for that now.

I cannot wait for this evening to play it smile

#2047325 - 03/12/13 10:42 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
ahhsmurf Offline

I was most concerned about the touch of my new DP and originally was looking at kawai ca65.

#2047416 - 03/13/13 01:53 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

bump. titowsky, did you get any sleep ? ha ha

#2047450 - 03/13/13 03:32 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
titowsky Offline

smile smile smile unfortunately I had not much time yesterday evening, and I prefer to carefully read the manual "prepare the environment" before launching myself on the new toy!

Just two very first impressions after half an hour playing:
- the piano makes a loud noise when played silent... a bit too much (and even more than my Silent at home). I was concerned to play it at midnight even without having any neighbor at the floor below. This is definately an advantage of CA95 I have not considered.
- The keys really seem much heavier than they are just because you cannot get the range of volume you would expect (fff are nearly impossible)... so you are always tempted to push and "force the sound"
- I find also the trip of the keys slightly shorter than the pianos I am used; perhaps this is the reason that makes very fast repetitions not so accurate, I would say worse than CA95.

So I would say, CA95 more enjoyable, practical and even "more responsive" from electronics point of view, but my target was to get a better action, so... let's see in next hours...

#2047469 - 03/13/13 05:19 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

- the piano makes a loud noise when played silent... a bit too much (and even more than my Silent at home). I was concerned to play it at midnight even without having any neighbor at the floor below. This is definately an advantage of CA95 I have not considered.
- The keys really seem much heavier than they are just because you cannot get the range of volume you would expect (fff are nearly impossible)... so you are always tempted to push and "force the sound"

You CAN play softly on the NU1 and also loudly too. It takes time to adjust to the action. So I will say the piano does not make a loud noise when played silent - that's you! This was one of the reasons I got he NU1, it responds just like my teachers piano, you have to learn to tame the beast. Just like most uprights at least. This may be different from a quality grand, I wouldn't know. I do agree it is not possible to get a thundering fff.

#2047478 - 03/13/13 06:07 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I believe there are very real differences in the mechanical sound of the various actions. In general the Kawai actions seem to be the quietest while the Rolands tend to have a very resonant thomp-thomp sound. In general, I would expect a real piano action to be the noisiest of all when operated in silent mode. After all, there is the most going on. If acoustic pianos weren't so darn loud we would all probably be very irritated by how loud the real, genuine, authentic piano action is.

#2047480 - 03/13/13 06:19 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
Belger1900 Offline

Key travel is smaller compared to the N1. In my test (different thread) quick repitition of the notes is not very easy. I was not sure if this was because of the sensor system on the Yamaha or even due to the small key travel. And i´m still not sure if a simple 3-sensor-system on the DP´s (either Kawai or Yamaha) is comparable to the Avantgrand models.
Im still waiting for another chance to play both instruments side by side.

Concerning the noise: Of course the mechanics of the piano action are louder than the typical digital piano. I had the same issues on my Yamaha silent and I did have one neighbour below my apertment who heard the "thump" everytime when hitting the note. This does not get better if you want to play fast pieces with a lot of fortissimo grin.

I´m really curious on your verdict for the NU1 since I am thinking about buying either the NU1 or the N1 in future.
The more you think about which instrument to buy, the worst it gets....This is even more difficult than buying a car grin

Edited by Belger1900 (03/13/13 06:22 AM)

#2047720 - 03/13/13 03:23 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
titowsky Offline

Uhm... played a couple of hours and I have to say that... I hope I will get used to it: it is definitely less enjoyable and pleasant to play than the CA95.

The sound seems like "in a box", not so bright and crystalline (maybe I have to move it more distant from the wall)... still sometime, in very fast passage, I get volume spykes which do not match my performance: it never happened with the Kawai.
And I am still a bit concerned with the smaller key travel, I am always tempted to press more in order to reach the bottom of the keys.

Sorry, I do not know... it is so different from the previous one. I have to play more and understand...

#2047739 - 03/13/13 03:54 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
titowsky,
did you found now the NU1 MUCH BETTER than CA95?
I mean, is it worth 50% more money?

Because at first you were excited about NU1 and now you are like this icon -> crazy

#2047746 - 03/13/13 04:08 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: kapelli]
titowsky Offline

I said what I did not like in CA95, I tried the NU1 in the shop and it seemed to me better for my purpose: a more realistic/true piano action.

Now I want to be as honest as possible reporting my feelings, not saying "it is wonderful" just because it is here at home. In case I am ready also to admit that only a good acoustic may satisfy me.

So... please sorry if I confused someone with my opinions...
I will write again just after my subjective impressions have become more precise and stable.

Edited by titowsky (03/13/13 04:09 PM)

#2047748 - 03/13/13 04:11 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
OK, just asking, and yes, I am little confused now, maybe you need few days more with Yamaha smile

#2048025 - 03/14/13 03:24 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: titowsky]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Uhm... played a couple of hours and I have to say that... I hope I will get used to it: it is definitely less enjoyable and pleasant to play than the CA95.

As a practice instrument it would seem to be better to have an instrument that prepares you for acoustic playing rather than one which is easy to play or that makes one sound better than one really is and does on an acoustic. The NU1 would at least seem to have an authentic enough action that qualifies, especially for acting like a real upright piano.

But any good and responsive action that has a realistic link to a sound engine should of course also be enjoyable and pleasant to play....hmmm

The sound seems like "in a box", not so bright and crystalline (maybe I have to move it more distant from the wall)... still sometime, in very fast passage, I get volume spykes which do not match my performance: it never happened with the Kawai.
And I am still a bit concerned with the smaller key travel, I am always tempted to press more in order to reach the bottom of the keys.

Sorry, I do not know... it is so different from the previous one. I have to play more and understand...

Can you say more about the key travel differences and the perceived volume spike behavior? I have played on some Yamaha Bx pianos that were very stiff, irregular (and also incredibly out of tune/seemingly untunable) during their first year of service. I wonder if the NU1 also needs to be broken in before it starts to become more even and pleasurable?

#2048295 - 03/14/13 04:11 PM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: theJourney]
titowsky Offline

As a practice instrument it would seem to be better to have an instrument that prepares you for acoustic playing rather than one which is easy to play or that makes one sound better than one really is and does on an acoustic. The NU1 would at least seem to have an authentic enough action that qualifies, especially for acting like a real upright piano.

But any good and responsive action that has a realistic link to a sound engine should of course also be enjoyable and pleasant to play....hmmm

Can you say more about the key travel differences and the perceived volume spike behavior? I have played on some Yamaha Bx pianos that were very stiff, irregular (and also incredibly out of tune/seemingly untunable) during their first year of service. I wonder if the NU1 also needs to be broken in before it starts to become more even and pleasurable?

Regarding the practise topic I agree, NU1 seems really similar to an upright... at least from the action point of view... despite the noise it produces (more than I expected) I like to make exercises silently and I receive a good feedback.

I am also wondering if a burn-out period is actually needed in order to really appreciate the overall quality of the sound.
Now I am focusing on spikes and strange electronics behaviours: I understood that they are not so much caused by speed of repetitions, but more by some specific hand-gestures that for some reasons the electronics is not able "to read" in the proper way.
For example: soft chordal repetitions like at the beginning of Beethoven op.53 are nearly impossible to sound perfectly (they are absolutely not "fast")... it is not possible to get an equal soft sound without a missing chord or one resulting stronger than expected (I play this Sonata for years without problems on any acceptable piano). I often get spikes when the repetition is realized by a soft and fast alternance of the two hands on the same key.

Key travel is ablsolutely shorter than usual, but I have the impression you can get used to it, and not so bothered anymore.

I am also trying to change the setting:
- touch sensitivity to hard (I like it... and it is incredible how the NU1 can seem "heavy" even with its soft keyboard!)
- IA Control switched off, but I still have to clearly understand the function, no difference noticed... so I prefer to switch off anything that may appear "artificial" smile

Edited by titowsky (03/14/13 05:41 PM)

#2048530 - 03/15/13 03:24 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: 36251]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So, in comparison to your Yamaha Silent Piano, you would say that the Silent Piano is much better, no?

#2048532 - 03/15/13 03:32 AM Re: Tried Yamaha NU1 for first time today. [Re: theJourney]
titowsky Offline

So, in comparison to your Yamaha Silent Piano, you would say that the Silent Piano is much better, no?

Yes, this can be definitely said, no doubts... I never had concerns on the acoustic sound of my Silent, this is not comparable to the NU1. And the action of the Silent does not have the short key travel, that I would not consider "an advantage".

I want to test the NU1, then when I come back to Italy in a couple o weeks I will compare its eletronics to the Silent one (it is much time I do not play the last with headphones): this is interesting...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (36251, AmyHsu, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, ando, 22 invisible), 1178 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250127 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission