Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2045977 - 03/10/13 02:54 PM LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring
Tango Offline

Loc: Albany,New York
Hello All.Could someone email me the LH fingering for the piece "Jesu,Joy of Man's Desiring"?I am learning it from a book named "Easy Classics Piano Masters".This book does not give the LH fingering.Or could you give me the web address of a site that has free sheet music that does have the LH fingering?I am having a difficult time figuring out the LH fingering of this piece;thus difficulty playing the LH.Thanks. My email address is:LMICHAL@nycap.rr.com

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2046198 - 03/10/13 09:44 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
This would be difficult unless we happened to have the exact same book with the exact same arrangement of this popular piece. Would you be able to maybe scan and upload a picture of the specific parts giving you difficulty?

#2046201 - 03/10/13 09:52 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Is it a fake book?

#2046280 - 03/11/13 12:28 AM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
No, the book exists, but I don't have it, so I need a scan of the score, as Bobpickle suggests, to help you.

Polyphonist

#2046408 - 03/11/13 09:59 AM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Tango
Hello All.Could someone email me the LH fingering for the piece "Jesu,Joy of Man's Desiring"?I am learning it from a book named "Easy Classics Piano Masters".This book does not give the LH fingering.Or could you give me the web address of a site that has free sheet music that does have the LH fingering?I am having a difficult time figuring out the LH fingering of this piece;thus difficulty playing the LH.Thanks. My email address is:LMICHAL@nycap.rr.com

Hello Tango, I am working on this one as well, and the arrangement I am working from is here:

Joy

In this arrangement the LH and is made up of many octaves, and occasional 10ths, 3rd and 5th intervals. There is really not much room for fingering variation -- I'm mostly maxed out already with 1,5 -- or, at least that is what I am finding. Does your arrangement look anything like this one?

#2046410 - 03/11/13 10:12 AM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Greener]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Greener
Originally Posted By: Tango

Hello Tango, I am working on this one as well, and the arrangement I am working from is here:

Joy

In this arrangement the LH and is made up of many octaves, and occasional 10ths, 3rd and 5th intervals. There is really not much room for fingering variation -- I'm mostly maxed out already with 1,5 -- or, at least that is what I am finding. Does your arrangement look anything like this one?

If it does, the title of the book ("Easy") is very misleading wink

That Hess arrangement is on my to-do list but it's late intermediate if not early advanced.

Kawai K3

#2046434 - 03/11/13 11:17 AM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Mamma mia! If that's easy, then I must be pre-pre-pre-beginner!

#2046454 - 03/11/13 11:56 AM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: casinitaly]
Greener Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Mamma mia! If that's easy, then I must be pre-pre-pre-beginner!

No, no you are not.

The Myra Hess arrangement (posted) is not that easy. Other arrangements of it though could be, or at least easier.

The original Cantata 147 by J.S. Bach (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) was a Chorale. This adaptation for piano solo was arranged by Myra Hess in 1928.

There are undoubtedly easier arrangements of same that still sound good. This one though (I think) is the original by Myra Hess.

#2046477 - 03/11/13 01:48 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Thanks Greener!:)

I played this piece in high school in the concert band (I played bass clarinet) - and it was probably the first piece of music from this period to really grab my attention. I love it, and some day I'll play a "fuller" piano verion - but for now......THIS is the EASY version that I have:

http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_...-piano-solo.htm

And it truly is rather easy!

#2046482 - 03/11/13 02:02 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I took someone else`s arrangement. And altered it . . . .

""

#2046548 - 03/11/13 04:02 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't understand why you need a LH fingering for this piece. It's all in octaves... wink

Polyphonist

#2046647 - 03/11/13 07:27 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Polyphonist]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I don't understand why you need a LH fingering for this piece. It's all in octaves... wink

Actual, serious point here. I have always played octaves with 1-5; natural. But in the Chopin there is an octave chromatic run. Never occurred to be to do 1-5, 1-4, 1-5, 1-4 until my teacher pointed it out but it works really well.

Kawai K3

#2046663 - 03/11/13 08:14 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Andy Platt]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Actual, serious point here. I have always played octaves with 1-5; natural. But in the Chopin there is an octave chromatic run. Never occurred to be to do 1-5, 1-4, 1-5, 1-4 until my teacher pointed it out but it works really well.

Of course. Try doing a chromatic scale in octaves with the right hand. My instinct is 5-4-5-4-5-5-4-5-4-5-4-5-5 (for the top note), from C to the next C. I also use 1-3 or even 1-2 (rare) in certain situations. smile

Polyphonist

#2047005 - 03/12/13 01:54 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: peterws]
Tango Offline

Loc: Albany,New York
Hello all.My arrangement does not look like any of yours.It is not from a fake book.I want to scan the arrangement into a file and then create a link here for you to click on.I know how to scan.I don't know how to create links like you guys did.Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to create a link for this forum from a Mac computer?Thanks.

#2047044 - 03/12/13 03:19 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
Greener Offline

The below instructions I found in FAQ. But when trying to follow this myself, I don't see the file manager link anywhere, so perhaps it is outdated. This would have been good though, as you would be able to upload directly to PW.

Basically, you need to host the file somewhere and link to it from PW. What I do is upload the file to Box.com and then click the share button to get the link and post here. Box.com is free and easy to use. There are others similar to this, or if you have your own site you can host it there. But it needs to be on the world wide web.

Failing any of above, email it to me (contact me in PM for details) and I will post for you.

FROM FAQ

When creating a new thread or response, you'll see a "File Manager" link on the "Full Reply" or "New Post" page. When selecting this option you'll receive a popup which will allow you to attach files to your post.

Steps:
1. Click "File Manager" to bring up the "Attachment" window.
2. Click "Browse" to bring up the file browser window; this will allow you to browse your computer for any files or images you wish to upload; please note that you're bound by whatever the "allowed file type" setting is for the board.
3. Click "open" on the file you wish to upload.
4. Enter a description of what the file is (if you want to).
5. Click "add file" to add another file, or "done" to close the window and complete your posting.

Please note that you must enter some text in both the "subject" and "post" fields when responding otherwise you will receive an error; you cannot just respond with an attachment wink.

#2047052 - 03/12/13 03:43 PM Re: LH fingering for Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring [Re: Tango]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
You can upload pictures to Piano World at this link.. After you click Submit Form, you will get an error message, but this is OK. Your file nevertheless will have been successfully uploaded and the link to it will have been emailed to you.

When posting your post, switch to full reply screen. Use the Insert Image button (fourth from left) and choose the top option, to insert a non-floating image. Or use the link button (second from left) to insert just the link to the image. This is helpful in case the image is wide and would make the thread awkwardly wide if it were directly included in a post.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 36 invisible), 1621 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75905 Members
42 Forums
156868 Topics
2304998 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Imperial Concert 61 Phase Piano
by DanPianjo
08/22/14 05:34 PM
New on YouTube: Forte, Stage2, CP4, RD800
by ahrensjt
08/22/14 04:56 PM
Buzzing Speaker(s)
by chessman
08/22/14 04:53 PM
Imperial Concert 61 Phase Piano
by DanPianjo
08/22/14 04:51 PM
To Continue or Not To Continue
by ZPomeroy
08/22/14 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission