Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2045776 - 03/10/13 04:09 AM Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?)
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Hi all,

I want to make a gift to a friend of mine, a pianist. So I'm looking into works for solo piano written in the last 50 or so years (ok... whatever).

The rules:

1. No well known stuff (Ligeti etudes, Vingt regards, etc).
2. Only solo piano please.
3. I should be able to grab ALL the scores from the same e-shop (sheet music plus? Some other?), for convenience.
4. Around 150$ to spend in total

Any ideas you might want to throw? youtube links most appreciated, or links, or titles and name of composer... whatever works for you.

(And yes that's me. nobody hacked my account yet! grin)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2045792 - 03/10/13 05:16 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I'm learning a two-movement work by Esa-Pekka Salonen called Dichotomie which I'm crazy about lol.

#2045794 - 03/10/13 05:18 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
Do you know Howard Skempton ? A selection of his piano output has been recorded by John Tilbury.

Here's an excerpt :

A bit minimalist, I like it very much. I don't know where to buy the scores.

#2045813 - 03/10/13 06:42 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

William Duckworth's big and wonderful set "Time Curve Preludes".

There are various performances of various parts of it on YouTube worth checking out - I'm linking this one because it shows the score.

#2045816 - 03/10/13 07:24 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I bought the Petrushka project - Dances of our Time anthology, and have had a great time playing through it (or trying to play through it - the pieces range from moderately difficult to very difficult). You can listen to them online. 75 different composers - all short piano pieces - all 21st century music.

Sam

#2045820 - 03/10/13 07:37 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Don't know how accessible the scores are, but there's Kaija Saariaho's Prélude and Ballade. Is Carl Vine too well-known?: three sonatas and lots of other music. And Judith Lang Zaimont, who posts here occasionally, has a lovely Piano Sonata of which the finale Impronta digitale has been used in the Van Cliburn competition, as well as much else fine stuff like A Calendar Set, Nocturne, Jupiter's Moons and Hesitation Rag.

And there's Phillip Ramey who wrote lots of fine piano music, including several piano sonatas.

#2045821 - 03/10/13 07:43 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

First of all thanks for posting. Keep coming with the suggestions!All are quite valuable!

Now, to individual posts...

debruecey: Knowing your style I'd say that I'll trust your instincts. Cheers mate

worov: Thanks

wr: much obliged! That's what I also like when I create scores (thus I try my best to include the scores in some way or another... )

Sam: Yup, I know this one. I'm afraid that I'm not too crazy about the music itself, but I'll check it out once more. Perhaps my mind might change on the third listening.

bennevis: Karl Vine IS a nice idea! And your other ideas as well!

Thank you all! Keep 'em coming!

#2045831 - 03/10/13 09:24 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nikolas, here are some suggestions; they are all pieces that I've worked on or am working on, and which I like quite a lot:

Steven Paulus -- Five Preludes (1993)
William Bolcom -- Nine New Bagatelles (2007)
Libby Larsen -- Mephisto Rag (2003)
John Harbison -- Sonata No 2 (2001); Gatsby Etudes (1999)
Fred Hersch -- 24 Variations on a Bach Chorale (2002)
Richard Danielpour -- The Enchanted Garden, Vol 1 (1993); Vol 2 (2009)
Katherine Hoover -- Toccata (2011)
Milton Babbitt -- The Old Order Changeth (1999)
Judith Zaimont -- Wizards (2005)
Michael Torke -- Blue Pacific (2006)
Jennifer Higdon -- Secret and Glass Gardens (2005)
Joan Tower -- No Longer Very Clear (1998)
Dan Welcher -- Prelude for Dani (2005)
Haskell Small -- Renoir's Feast (2004)

That should keep you busy for awhile!

#2045837 - 03/10/13 10:00 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Oh more than a while everyone! I think I'll be spending Sunday night listening to youtube recordings... and then buying a bunch of scores!

Any other suggestions, keep them coming. And thank you everyone!

#2046008 - 03/10/13 03:48 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Adolphus Hailstork - Trio Sonata, Piano Sonata No. 2

#2046013 - 03/10/13 03:54 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: LadyChen]
worov Offline

Are you familiar with Alan Hovhanness ? If you are not, check him out :

Macedonian Mountain Dance :

To Hiroshige's Cat :

Edited by worov (03/10/13 03:56 PM)

#2046035 - 03/10/13 04:26 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

For some tough avant-garde stuff, have a look at Harrison Birtwistle's Harrison's Clocks. Apparently, Alfred Brendel is a fan but significantly, he never played any of Birtwistle's music.

Another British composer (who's also a fine pianist) with a rather more accessible language is Thomas Ades. His piano works include Traced Overhead, Darknesse Visible and Still Sorrowing.

Then there's György Kurtág's Játékok; and Sofia Gubaidulina's piano music, including a Piano Sonata, Chaconne and Musical Toys, less gritty than Birtwistle's music.

And there's the holy minimalist/titinnabulist Arvo Pärt and his Für Alina, which is very simple in comparison.

Mieczyslaw Weinberg composed very fine piano music, including several sonatas, most of which have been recorded.

And a recent discovery for me (thanks to Krystian Zimerman, who recorded the Piano Sonata No.2 brilliantly for DG) is Grazyna Bacewicz.

#2046038 - 03/10/13 04:30 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Carl Vine's piano sonatas are good, if they're not too famous. The scores are also relatively inexpensive and easy to get.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2046146 - 03/10/13 08:06 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Jaan Rääts - Toccata (1968)
Youtube-Link (only blank screen, no pianist visible)

(I thought of Jaan Rääts when I read the Arvo Pärt suggestion)

#2046154 - 03/10/13 08:22 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Eino Rautavaara has a set of interesting Etudes, Preludes and two sonatas for piano

Lera Auerbach has many pieces for piano solo, many of which are on YT with scores

George Antheil? (Sonate Sauvage?)

How about Bortkiewicz? Even Elliott Carter is hardly known among pianists.

#2046244 - 03/10/13 11:00 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Consider a collection, like the Waltz Project from Peters.

#2046358 - 03/11/13 06:03 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
Nigel Keay Offline

Hi Nikolas, I seem to remember having already mentioned this on one of your subjects... anyway here it is again: the dancer leads the procession

#2046361 - 03/11/13 06:42 AM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: Nikolas]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Check out the Preludes and Fugues of Trygve Madsen. There are some real gems in there.

#2046587 - 03/11/13 05:39 PM Re: Looking for piano solo scores of contemporary composers (?) [Re: theJourney]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Wow, a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Michael Byron, Dreamers of Pearl, almost one hour, 3 movements. I have recorded this one.

Larry Polansky, Lonesome Road -- The Crawford Variations. A huge, multi-hour work, 51 variations on a Ruth Crawford setting of a folk tune. There is a multi-CD recording; can't recall pianist's name.

Both of the above, I think, published by Frog Peak Music.

Mamoru Fujieda, Patterns of Plants. Lovely, post-minimal pieces, hard to describe. Some are published, will have to find my copy to see...

www.josephkubera.com

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, BB Player, andwi, 26 invisible), 1286 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156116 Topics
2292551 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission