Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
136 registered (anamnesis, 36251, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1630 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2045755 - 03/10/13 01:33 AM Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet
renenkel Offline

Loc: Canada
There's a beautiful duet of Victor Borge and Leonid Hambro playing Chopin's Minute Waltz here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrqtJTEmBk

I've been trying to play the accompaniment part but my listening skills are not that great and I've been only partially successful.

I wonder if I could interest someone with a good ear in transcribing this and making it available? It's such a nice arrangement.

(I mean, hey, if people can listen to Horowitz's transcriptions off the record and write them down, this shouldn't even be a challenge :-)

Edited by renenkel (03/10/13 03:12 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2045766 - 03/10/13 03:18 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: renenkel
There's a beautiful duet of Victor Borge and Leonid Hambro playing Chopin's Minute Waltz here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrqtJTEmBk

I've been trying to play the accompaniment part but my listening skills are not that great and I've been only partially successful.

I wonder if I could interest someone with a good ear in transcribing this and making it available? It's such a nice arrangement.

(I mean, hey, if people can listen to Horowitz's transcriptions off the record and write them down, this shouldn't even be a challenge :-)

You obviously have no idea how much work would be involved in transcribing this arrangement. "Making it available" is all well and good, but how many of us have two pianos available to play it? It would be an immense amount of work from which few people would be able to benefit.

Regards,

#2045770 - 03/10/13 03:36 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: BruceD]
renenkel Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
You obviously have no idea how much work would be involved in transcribing this arrangement.
Oh I know all right, because I've been working on it myself, and progressing about as quickly as a dying tortoise crawling through the desert :-)
Originally Posted By: BruceD
"Making it available" is all well and good, but how many of us have two pianos available to play it? It would be an immense amount of work from which few people would be able to benefit.
I guess what I meant is that if someone got all excited about it and wrote it down for themselves, I'd love to get a copy (and not necessarily for free either :-) If nobody bites and I end up doing it myself, I'd be glad to share it and invite improvements.

I don't have two pianos either, but I like to play it myself by interleaving bits of the alternate melody into the original.

Edited by renenkel (03/10/13 04:11 AM)

#2045930 - 03/10/13 01:06 PM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
I was a big fan of both of these guys. BTW they even made it onto the "Match Game" back in the day!

I can understand wanting a score for what they're doing, and I imagine there would be others interested in it too -- but as Bruce said, it would be a complex job, and probably not possible to do with full confidence. I wouldn't have thought so, except, taking the example of the Horowitz transcriptions that you mention, different people's attempts have differed a fair amount from one another. And, when I've played them (Stars & Stripes, and Danse Excentrique which wasn't a transcription but Horowitz's own piece), I would feel that there were many places where none of the attempts really "got it" and I would do my own try.

#2045952 - 03/10/13 02:01 PM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Gosh, I love Victor Borge. Thanks for posting that!

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2045962 - 03/10/13 02:25 PM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
Mark_C Offline

Let me use this as an excuse to post my favorite Borge, which has nothing to do with piano or music, except to the extent that anything about "sound" is about music. He was a multi-faceted genius.

Here's him doing his "phonetic punctuation" routine -- never fails to make me lose it completely:

....and this one is maybe even funnier -- Dean Martin doing it with him, and showing himself to be talented beyond what a lot of people probably think:

#2046330 - 03/11/13 03:47 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: PattyP]
renenkel Offline

Originally Posted By: PattyP
Gosh, I love Victor Borge. Thanks for posting that!
You're so welcome! I love him too.
Originally Posted By: PattyP
A tired dog is a good dog.
True...unless he's chasing his tail and inspired Chopin to write such a nice piece as this! :-)

#2046331 - 03/11/13 03:51 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: Mark_C]
renenkel Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
[...]when I've played them [Horowitz's](Stars & Stripes, and Danse Excentrique which wasn't a transcription but Horowitz's own piece), I would feel that there were many places where none of the attempts really "got it" and I would do my own try.
I really admire you for being able to play those arrangments. Kudos for that! So far, I can only play for first few pages of Stars & Stripes (before the "making it seem like you have four hands stuff" :-), and that's playing mostly octaves in the RH instead of Horowitz's chords. Sigh...some day... :-)

#2046332 - 03/11/13 03:52 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: Mark_C]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Let me use this as an excuse to post my favorite Borge, which has nothing to do with piano or music, except to the extent that anything about "sound" is about music. He was a multi-faceted genius.

Here's him doing his "phonetic punctuation" routine -- never fails to make me lose it completely:

....and this one is maybe even funnier -- Dean Martin doing it with him, and showing himself to be talented beyond what a lot of people probably think:

Sorry or being off topic, but do these videos exist in DVD ? They are amazing. Thank you for posting them.

#2046743 - 03/11/13 11:15 PM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark thanks for posting the Dean Martin, Victor Borge skit. He's a favorite of mine.

#2046746 - 03/11/13 11:29 PM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: renenkel]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: renenkel
....So far, I can only play for first few pages of Stars & Stripes (before the "making it seem like you have four hands stuff" :-), and that's playing mostly octaves in the RH instead of Horowitz's chords. Sigh...some day... :-)

It's a start! thumb
And I bet it's fun to play just like that.

I did sort of the same for a long time (years!) before tackling the real thing, which I did as soon as I found out that those written scores exist, and a friend sent me a pretty good one.

BTW it came at the right time. It was just shortly before 9/11. I started working on it immediately when I got it. After 9/11, playing this piece helped me feel a little less bad. I played it over and over and over, even realizing that to a great extent it must have been an exercise in self-reassurance.

Originally Posted By: worov
....do these videos exist in DVD ? They are amazing. Thank you for posting them.

Sorry, don't know! I was glad just to be able to find them online.
By the way -- and I know this is sort of an idiot question grin -- isn't it possible to make our own DVD's on our computers from whatever we can pull up?

Originally Posted By: musdan
....thanks for posting the Dean Martin, Victor Borge skit. He's a favorite of mine.

My pleasure! And I'm thrilled that other people appreciate it as much as I do.

This was a revelation to me about Dean Martin. I don't mean I thought he was bad or anything like that, but I wouldn't have imagined he'd be able to do what he does on there, and do it so fantastically. It's all the more impressive because (it is said) he did his show with a bare minimum of rehearsal. I read a story about a time when Milton Berle was a guest, wanted to be doing all kinds of rehearsing and getting everything straight, and Dean just told him, "Sorry, that's not how we do things around here."

#2046807 - 03/12/13 03:05 AM Re: Victor Borge / Leonid Hambro Minute Waltz Duet [Re: Mark_C]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
Quote:
By the way -- and I know this is sort of an idiot question grin -- isn't it possible to make our own DVD's on our computers from whatever we can pull up?

ConvertXtoDVD can make a DVD struture from any video file : AVI, WMV, MKV, MPEG. It's compatible with many formats. Here's more information here :

http://vso-convertxtodvd.en.softonic.com/

However it's not free.

Edited by worov (03/12/13 03:06 AM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission