Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2045957 - 03/10/13 02:11 PM Going to Austria - Any Tips?
Theodore Slutz Offline

Loc: California
Hi everyone,

Taking the family to Austria soon and was interested on any tips in general for traveling and, most importantly, any tips on music related topics.. ie Bosendorfer factory visit, Mozarthaus info...

Regarding the concerts available in Vienna and Salzburg, my wife and I are overhwelmed with the amount of info and i thought my fellow piano world visitors could help cut to the chase.

Thanks and have a great day!

Justin.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2045959 - 03/10/13 02:23 PM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
You'll have a great trip. Of course, Bosendorfer is a must!

Check out the scheduled recitals/concerts at the University of Music and Performing Arts, also known at the Vienna Conservatory. They have lots of great performances. Don't forget the Opera and Symphony. There's more than just Strauss!

No trip to Vienna would be complete without becoming addicted to shopping at Demel. Torte anyone?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2045968 - 03/10/13 02:37 PM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Theodore Slutz Offline

Noted and thanks Marty... Also if there's any child friendly performances with first hand experience? My daughter is 3 1/2.

Thanks.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

#2046466 - 03/11/13 01:05 PM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a tip: Go to the Bösendorfer showroom and bring your checkbook!

Also be sure to visit the Parliament

and have some sachertorte

You'll find Mozart in Vienna, too:

Nearby, we've seen some great concerts in St.Pölten, so you may want to check out what's going on there, too. It's a short train ride from Vienna.

Edited by Thrill Science (03/11/13 01:11 PM)

#2046630 - 03/11/13 06:57 PM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
So much to do!

Our Piano World Member's trip (see under tours etc section) included Salzburg and Vienna. Lots covered there.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1690750
(lots of my pics of both are on pg 5 and 6)

A highlight for musical instruments was the Technical Museum in Vienna. A large roomful of instruments and mechanical instruments, another with organs.

Hofburg - history, spectacular place...look out front for a sight into lower digs of Roman ruins.
Vienna Choir boys sing there
Palace Chapel

NaschMarket, food market, loved it - eat there or get goodies for the hotel room

St Stephen's Cathedral in ctr of town - go inside for a beautiful stained glass site

Great architecture just to view in the ctr of town - very walkable

Belvedere Palace - artwork (Gustav Klimt), outside walking

Schönbrunn Palace - overwhelmingly large inside and out

I stayed fairly close to mid ctr, nice hotel about 15 minutes to walk to St. Stephens. (Hotel Erzherzog Rainer)

Salzburg

Mozart place was overcrowded, hot and not much to see, but I guess, while in Rome...

However that area of town is gorgeous.

Walk over the bridges, the river is beautiful. Especially at night.

Mirabel Palace has gorgeous grounds that are comfortable to walk about. (sound of music)

We stayed in a hotel in that area that I don't recommend. However from there back over the bridge was a great biergarten in a monastery. A must do.

After our tour, a friend and I traveled outside the city of Vienna...an hour by train

Go to Melk. Stay overnight there. Melk Monastery is fantastic. Loved it. Don't miss where Mozart played and the painted walls and ceilings of the tea house. Then travel down the Danube by boat and get off at Durnstein, another must see small village with walkable viewing. Make sure you find the old ruins and the cemetery.

Wineries all around so try some.
Beer is big too.

Great food everywhere.

If you are interested in seeing some tour photos, PM me. I have some stuff up on youtube.

#2046649 - 03/11/13 07:30 PM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
My sister was only four years old when my family visited Hellbrunn Palace and retained memories of its enchanting water gardens into adulthood. I was a mature nine and still have many memories of that magical place.

#2046856 - 03/12/13 08:28 AM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lilylady has some great suggestions, especially the trip to Melk, with the boat ride down the Danube and Durnstein thereafter.

I want to add seeing the Lipizzaners in Vienna, if they are there when you are. Especially if your daughter likes horses, they are fabulous. I think my daughter was already horse-crazy at that age, and she would have loved them.

#2046923 - 03/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Theodore Slutz Offline

Thanks for all the responses... Its gonna be a great trip and a much needed vacation.

#2046934 - 03/12/13 11:32 AM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Cornelius Offline

Loc: Stuttgart (Germany)
Hello Justin
You may also visit "Schubert Geburtshaus", "Schubert Sterbewohnung", "Beethoven Wohnung" ... for more information see: http://www.wienmuseum.at/en/locations/more-locations.html ... The "Zentralfriedhof" is an impressive cemetery with the sepultures of Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert, Schönberg .... Another (very touristic) highlight ist the famous wine village "Grinzing". An absolut "must do" is a promenade over the already mentioned "Naschmarkt" (metrostation "Kettenbrückengasse")... you'll need several weeks to visit everything ...
Have a nice journey!

#2046950 - 03/12/13 11:57 AM Re: Going to Austria - Any Tips? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
Hi Justin,
check out the "Haus der Musik" (house of music)
at Haus der Musik
A fascinating experience for any music lover. And they provide a lot of kids' activities - such as making your own CD or conducting the Vienna Symphony (not an easy task, ahem). And I think they also offer performances for children.
Have fun!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (Aucha, Atrys, 3rd Ear, 25 invisible), 1152 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250682 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission