2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 196 of 341 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, I think the issue is about contrasts. It's just one way to visualize a playing style and maybe emulate it.

At least for a jazz student like me, it made me observe the playing a little differently. Particularly with Jarrett, it was really illuminating because if you can sense a pattern to what he's doing, such as this model of melodic/harmonic I describe then you can sort of duplicate the framework of his playing.

I was listening to you one time and made this comment because I heard how you grouped your playing in a similar mix as Jarrett did. It showed an obvious influence.

I think, these kinds of observable styles are neat to document because sometimes, I feel I don't know what I'm looking for when I listen. Everything is supposed to be "organic" and just coming from some undefinable reaction in us. But my teacher is good at isolating these into something (some abstraction) I can apply to my playing.

There may be some other observable models at play. We've argued some of them to death here like Forward Motion (downbeat chord tone thing). Or talked about subs and how often they're done etc. Another one is the shapes in tension and release. These are nice little models for a learning player to assimilate. Then we can just apply them in a way that fits us I suppose.

I like looking for these little patterns in playing styles in what I hear. It's how I learn. Others may not look at it like I do and maybe approach it from a more non-intellectual level. I just think the intellectual level gives it a nice starting point and then I can focus on the music. Sort of like knowing what scale to use.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Originally Posted by chrisbell

I've got to find the Coltrane version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye_Bye_Blackbird

Great Trane version here... 22 minutes long, quality not that great but amazing music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLWLNhBWfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZXMPpRY-c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2tLYza1Ng&feature=related

McCoys solo is on the 2nd part. awesome

Awesome finds! Now let's see what I can learn from this.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Beeboss, I think the issue is about contrasts. It's just one way to visualize a playing style and maybe emulate it.

At least for a jazz student like me, it made me observe the playing a little differently. Particularly with Jarrett, it was really illuminating because if you can sense a pattern to what he's doing, such as this model of melodic/harmonic I describe then you can sort of duplicate the framework of his playing.

I was listening to you one time and made this comment because I heard how you grouped your playing in a similar mix as Jarrett did. It showed an obvious influence.

I think, these kinds of observable styles are neat to document because sometimes, I feel I don't know what I'm looking for when I listen. Everything is supposed to be "organic" and just coming from some undefinable reaction in us. But my teacher is good at isolating these into something (some abstraction) I can apply to my playing.

There may be some other observable models at play. We've argued some of them to death here like Forward Motion (downbeat chord tone thing). Or talked about subs and how often they're done etc. Another one is the shapes in tension and release. These are nice little models for a learning player to assimilate. Then we can just apply them in a way that fits us I suppose.

I like looking for these little patterns in playing styles in what I hear. It's how I learn. Others may not look at it like I do and maybe approach it from a more non-intellectual level. I just think the intellectual level gives it a nice starting point and then I can focus on the music. Sort of like knowing what scale to use.

JW, yes definitely we want to have contrasts in our playing and sometimes, if we just leave it to come out by itself, it doesn't happen too well. We tend to stick with the (few) ideas we have really got down, the ones that are easiest to play, and it is only by expanding the range of ideas that we can play that we can increase the variety in our playing. So to do this we need to assimilate as many different approaches as possible so we can pull them out as we need them.
The way I like to do that is by setting little limitations that force me to work on different things that wouldn't come out on their own. For instance ..
- a chorus with nothing but blues scale
- a chorus of not playing anything on the first beat
- a chorus of triplets
- chorus of just chords
- left hand only
- a single rhythmic idea
etc
By doing this I gradually increase my repertoire of ideas that I am comfortable playing.

It is hard to find the balance in real performance - too much emphasis on development of patterns makes the improvisation sound like an exercise, and if there is not enough then the improvisation can sound rambling and unfocussed.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I think my teacher's approach is similar though more big picture. He's not telling me (now) to define what Tension and Release means. But early on, he would show me examples and it would be the kind of variety you're talking about.

By defining shapes in broader terms, I think he's giving me more leeway to come up with my own answers. For example, in addition to melodic/harmonic, there's mixing intervallic with linear playing, or inside/outside. Long lines/Short Lines, Syncopated/Straight. They're all general things so it's not as intellectualized as I make it sound.

The journey of course is to find one's voice and it's the balance and mix of these things that make us sound different I guess.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hard to believe but I've started to "copy" the Keith Jarrett version of BBBB. Notice I didn't say "transcribe" because I'm not writing it down. However, I've been playing to the record. The notes themselves are easy enough, but it's really cool playing with Keith and learning the groove.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It's a fun, but also slightly sad song (which is not about Black birds - but a prostitute singing bye bye to her johns (the black birds) and she's going home back to her mother . . .).

Well I never knew that. It is not clear though even after I have read the (usually unsung) verses about 'bluebirds'. I guess I just don't know the right slang.
I wonder if knowing this will make me play it differently.

jeez, I know I will. I thought the song was just a melancholic thingy. Time to add some more b9 chords and bitter-sweet voicings.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
jeez, I know I will. I thought the song was just a melancholic thingy. Time to add some more b9 chords and bitter-sweet voicings.
Not only that, but according to my research into the song, it "should" be played as a ballad

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

It's a fun, but also slightly sad song (which is not about Black birds - but a prostitute singing bye bye to her johns (the black birds) and she's going home back to her mother . . .).

Well I never knew that. It is not clear though even after I have read the (usually unsung) verses about 'bluebirds'. I guess I just don't know the right slang.
I wonder if knowing this will make me play it differently.

What chord would best represent a prostitute leaving her johns i wonder? Maybe a Db7sharp9, or a Abdim7 with added major 7th. Or maybe just a plain old F major.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Not only that, but according to my research into the song, it "should" be played as a ballad

I guess a lot of the tunes we normally think of as being up tempo numbers started out as ballads.

Here is a ballad version of bbbb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdz4YuMDQ4

I can't find any versions with the verse though, not that I have checked out that many.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice! Very nice. God Peggy Lee could really sing. Fun to hear a different set of chords.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
man, Jarrett was messed up playing this uptempo. What was he thinking laugh

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Anybody with jazzed up chords to Winter Wonderland? I'm playing this on Friday and so I came up with my own changes. I hope I got the modulations right.

Winter Wonderland (Key of G)
A
{:| Gmaj7 | E-7 A7 | A-7 | Ab7#11 |
| A-7 | F#-7b5 B7b9 | A-7 D7 | Gmaj7 |:}

B
| C#-7 F#7 | Bmaj7 | C#-7 F#7 | Bmaj7 |
| E-7 A7 | Dmaj7 | E-7 A7 | Ab7#11 |

C
| Gmaj7 | E-7 A7 | A-7 | Ab7#11 |
| A-7 | F#-7b5 B7b9 | A-7 D7 | Gmaj7 Ab7#11 |

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anybody with jazzed up chords to Winter Wonderland? I'm playing this on Friday and so I came up with my own changes. I hope I got the modulations right.

A

B

C

In the 4th bar get to D7 on beat three then in bar five C#7sus F#7 (or Cmaj) I Bsusb9 E7 (or Bb7#11) I Am7 D7 I Gmaj

In your B section you could do a pedal F# for 4 bars then pedal A for a few too.

I love Winter Wonderland. Christmas Song is even better though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It sounds like it should be a ballad to me too. I used to play this tune at a Rib House (BBQ stuff) and I was the sing a long pianist, but no one ever told me I was playing it too fast, and these were older generation regular customers that probably heard the original when it was released.

Oh, and Chris, I've sent you a PM.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A

B

C

In the 4th bar get to D7 on beat three then in bar five C#7sus F#7 (or Cmaj) I Bsusb9 E7 (or Bb7#11) I Am7 D7 I Gmaj

In your B section you could do a pedal F# for 4 bars then pedal A for a few too.

I love Winter Wonderland. Christmas Song is even better though.

Thanks man. Pedal -- probably doesn't sound too good in a band setting? Sounds like a solo piano approach.

Are these changes you made yourself or is it from some other source?

I just did this by ear.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What chord would best represent a prostitute leaving her johns i wonder? Maybe a Db7sharp9, or a Abdim7 with added major 7th. Or maybe just a plain old F major. [/quote]

Ya, good question. I think chords with ambiguity may fit the bill though. However, sometimes the simpler the better, with the right voicing and touch, will always win out.
Depends on the day. I guess it depends on the johns too...

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

A

B

C

I play it in Eb, sometimes F. Never used those changes on the *A* sections.
In your key try.

[: Gmaj7 C7 | Bm7 E7 | Am11 | D7 (an Ab triad in the rh over the 1-b7 in the lh is a nice effect) | C#m7b5 add4 C7 | Bm7 Bb9 | Am7 D7 | on the FIRST ENDING | Bm7 E7 Am7 D7 | or | Gmaj7 Am7/D | or if you wanna get real fancy | Gmaj7 Bbmaj7 Ebmaj7 Abmaj7 :]

on the SECOND ENDING going to the bridge it's | Gmaj 7 F#13b9 (try LH 1-b7 RH Eb triad.

The bridge STARTS on the Bmaj7...so
||Bmaj7 C#m7/ F# | repeat | repeat | Bmaj7 Em7 A7 | Dmaj7 Em7/A | Dmaj7 Eb dim. | Em9 A7 | Am11 D7 ||

Last 8. Alternate 1st two bars (which obviously can be used instead of what is written at the top)
|Gmaj7 Am11/D | Gmaj7 Ab dim. | the rest is simile to the top.

I use the F# & A pedals in the bridge too sometimes. If the bass player has ears he should pick up on it.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 12/05/11 04:53 PM. Reason: extra bar at the end of the bridge
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

It sounds like it should be a ballad to me too. I used to play this tune at a Rib House (BBQ stuff) and I was the sing a long pianist, but no one ever told me I was playing it too fast, and these were older generation regular customers that probably heard the original when it was released.

The great thing about jazz is that we re-invent the tunes as we like when we play them.
But actually the original recording is quite uptempo
Gene Austin from 1926 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6PpD-tRLU

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! The verse's too! Wicked. Turns the interpretation around. Leaving the Blackbird (Coal mine) and going to the Blue bird (country side: back home). Interesting.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dave F., will try it out. I have to play it in G for the singer.

My Jazz Blog

Page 196 of 341 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission