Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2047223 - 03/12/13 07:47 PM New to piano, interested in composition
johnny931 Offline

I'm a new-ish piano player. I've been playing for about a year and half now, and have been teaching myself to play. Just can't afford lessons, though that should be changing soon, hopefully. I've been advancing fairly quickly, and have been really wanting to get into composition. My issue though is that I'm not really solid on my music theory. I *understand* how it all works. Like, I understand key signatures and how scales are built, what chord inversions are, etc. The issue is that I don't have the scales or chords down to muscle memory, so it's hard to just throw something together on the fly.

I don't even want to compose anything terribly complicated. I'm a sucker for those slow, relaxing piano songs, and that's really what I'd like to do. Examples below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJbO2pt9Yg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bJilV1W0eY

Any advice? I'm not even sure how to get started.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2047308 - 03/12/13 10:27 PM Re: New to piano, interested in composition [Re: johnny931]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Hi Johnny. I do loans, backhoe work, and composition writing on the side. Nobody has ever hired me before because I always end up giving my work away for free like a sucker.

I guess this is no exception.

First off, have you ever considered doing everything wrong but attempt to make it sound right? That's what I'm somehow doing. I think Sam Rose is doing this too in a way.

You see, neither one of us are sightreading the music. Sam looks at the music only long enough to figure out the notes and once he does, he 'gets it'. That means he understands what is being done/asked for in a particular section, figures out that section, and then put that section into memory.

That's it. He doesn't overcomplicate it.

I do pretty much the same thing other than instead of figuring out the notes in any particular section, I will figure out the melody instead. At that point we both 'get it' and it goes into memorization.

I can't speak for Sam, but I don't know a thing about music theory. And I don't care because I only want to play the melodies in my head and I can't be taught them. Trust me when I say I can figure out the melodies much faster than what it would take for me to learn theory and apply it. Even after hitting lots of wrong notes, my way will still be faster. For me.

I use my own feedback as a guide to my learning and improvement. If I listen to my recording and a specific section is too soft or loud I will try and correct that. This holds true for just about anything. Of course, I will only sound as good as I can for my abilities and experience level.

Playing piano is like many things in life. You usually get out of it what you put into it. People who play occasionally or once in a while will sound and perform like they play occasionally or once in a while! The same can be said for those who spends hours on the bench every day.

Instead of spending the time properly learning my chords and scales along with musical theory and countless method books, I spend it on discovering new melodies and experimenting with new sounds. This is because it is what I actually want to do. I only want to produce beautiful melodies and could not care about how I learned to do it. As long as I can do it.

People learn things differently and should try and choose the method of learning that is most compatible for them. That means before you do anything you try out various different methods of learning to play piano before you hit the gas pedal going in the wrong direction.

Sams method is different from my method. My method is different from many others here.

Are you a more structured and analytical person or more a creative person? Only you know what method will work best for you.

So ultimately the best advice I can give you for longevity, satisfaction and lack of stress/frustrations is to pursue what you love and what comes to you naturally. You love the soft-mellow melodies you hear so now you just need to produce them by learning how to in the way you do best. Simple.

#2047312 - 03/12/13 10:32 PM Re: New to piano, interested in composition [Re: johnny931]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Welcome Johnny931

Someone else recently inquired about getting started. I compiled some suggestions on the thread below in the Composer's forum.

link to thread

What I always try to get across to would be composers and songwriters, is that time correlates with results. There is a craft to composing, and just like learning to play piano, the more time a person puts in, the more likely they are to progress. If a person has a real passion and desire to write music, they will put in the time, and results will follow.

Good luck on your journey. Writing music can be one of the most rewarding things a person does. It certainly has been for me.

#2047627 - 03/13/13 12:18 PM Re: New to piano, interested in composition [Re: Sand Tiger]
johnny931 Offline

Thanks a ton for both answers! Both were incredibly helpful!

I'll also start looking through that thread you had linked. I'm sure it'll help out a ton as well!

#2047812 - 03/13/13 06:43 PM Re: New to piano, interested in composition [Re: johnny931]
PaperClip Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi,

Alan Belkin has written some free pdf books on the subject. Composition, counterpoint, orchestration and harmony.

Here is the one on composition.

The prerequisites are:
A basic knowledge of tonal harmony.
An understanding of motives.
Enough knowledge of instrumentation to write idiomatically for keyboard and perhaps one or two solo instruments. This implies some understanding of the creation and differentiation of planes of tone.

You could also get a teacher for learning composition, if you like it very much.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2047820 - 03/13/13 07:00 PM Re: New to piano, interested in composition [Re: johnny931]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I took a different avenue for composing. I hired a teacher. He is starting me out beginner piano. Day one...forward.

When I told him my goal was to compose. He told me I'm looking at a whole lot...ya gotta...ya gotta...ya gotta...It will take years!
EDIT: I wanted to add. This teacher knows what he's talking about. He earned his degree at college in composing. With a piano. He writes his own music as well as for others.

Yet....I want to do it right. Learn piano that well. Write what will be readable to accomplished, talented people. "Then my heart will be calm when I'm laid to rest."

Edited by rnaple (03/14/13 04:58 AM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Anticlock, aDino, aesop, 29 invisible), 1331 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156275 Topics
2295041 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
46 minutes 56 seconds ago
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission