2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 286 of 540 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this feast of a holiday. For the rest of you...feel free to join us on Thursday for a day to eat, drink and give thanks.

My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days. I'm going to accompany my husband for the piano party here at my place on Dec 8. I've been at an academic conference in Washington DC for a few days and really missed my piano but I'm sluggish at getting back up to practice mode. My brain feels scattered...ever have that feeling??

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate this feast of a holiday. For the rest of you...feel free to join us on Thursday for a day to eat, drink and give thanks.

My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days. I'm going to accompany my husband for the piano party here at my place on Dec 8. I've been at an academic conference in Washington DC for a few days and really missed my piano but I'm sluggish at getting back up to practice mode. My brain feels scattered...ever have that feeling??

E
v
e
r
y

s
i
n
g
l
e

d
a
y

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@torquenale: Having too many things to think about at the same time, it's not good... At least your teacher don't think as you smile If she told you're improving, why not to believe? I'm sure she's right!
One of the reasons that led me to play the piano was just the fact that I have many things to work at the same time. It seems a contradiction, but it is not. My goal was to have a liberating moment of all the daily stress ... And it worked.

@earlofmar - What is the "Tausig exercise" you're learning?

@JimF - I have no idea... Tomorrow we'll discuss the alignment of the episode.
And congratulations for your achievements! That is an huge collection of pieces to work and play.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday

Well that's quite an AOTW wimpiano. You won't sleep through the night for months grin Just kidding, congratulations, what's her name?

Welcome to PW smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

I can't play it through yet but working on it. Each each day I do a few minutes of it to see if I can get the stretches and gradually what was impossible a few months ago is beginning to be possible. You can see a demonstration here

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I'll try to post regularly though I'm a bit busy (My daugther was born yesterday

Well that's quite an AOTW wimpiano. You won't sleep through the night for months grin Just kidding, congratulations, what's her name?

Welcome to PW smile

Although you're kidding it's very likely to be true frown wink

Her name is Naomi and she and her mother are doing well.

Thanks all for your congratulations!

In the few minutes I've got left these busy days I'm starting to practice the Old French Song from the same Tchaikovsky album.

E
E
Originally Posted by earlofmar

I can't play it through yet but working on it. Each each day I do a few minutes of it to see if I can get the stretches and gradually what was impossible a few months ago is beginning to be possible. You can see a demonstration here

Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing...I'm gonna try this!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

That's interesting. I'll give it a try thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

In the few minutes I've got left these busy days I'm starting to practice the Old French Song from the same Tchaikovsky album.

A lovely name.

Have you looked at the Tchaikovsky recital thread? Old French Song is already taken but there are many still open if you want to join in. smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My achievement is learning two pages of "I'll be home for Christmas" in two days.

I'm messing around with that one too Wisebuff. It will take me more than two days though. ha That one and Let it Snow are the two new Christmas songs I'm working on. Brushing up some older ones as well.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm looking at The Christmas Song right now in my fake book. So pretty... 20 different chords... yikes.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W

A lovely name.

Have you looked at the Tchaikovsky recital thread? Old French Song is already taken but there are many still open if you want to join in. smile

All the easy songs are taken frown Instead of posting the recordings in the recital thread I'll post them in the Ecco Fatto Café by April. Leaves me (I hope) enough time to practice.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll post them in the Ecco Fatto Café by April. Leaves me (I hope) enough time to practice.

Looking forward to it! YAY, I love the ECCO FATTO Café, I just enjoy hearing people new to piano play for us. A great place to get one's feet wet too. Very supportive and helps you conquer your fears about putting yourself "out there". smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have finally figured out and notated a good fingering for my enhanced score of Someone to Watch over Me. I had a simplified version that I learned quickly, but found it rather plain vanilla and so got into fleshing it out by adding fifths and different inversions to it. The bass line was single notes! This seems to be never ending as it led me into studying same tone and close tone chord voicing. I'm still not sure if I'm done with it but it sure sounds better/fuller than the original score. I find this a great AOTW (actually the month+ grin) I like to figure out for myself things that aren't in my music books, it's rewarding but it does stifle my practice playing a bit.

Now I'm back to practicing my Christmas pieces. Made fresh copies from my book as I tend to mark them up a lot while learning them and they soon begin to resemble Jackson Pollack paintings. That's about it for this past 6 days. yippie

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I have finally figured out and notated a good fingering for my enhanced score of Someone to Watch over Me. I had a simplified version that I learned quickly, but found it rather plain vanilla and so got into fleshing it out by adding fifths and different inversions to it. The bass line was single notes! This seems to be never ending as it led me into studying same tone and close tone chord voicing. I'm still not sure if I'm done with it but it sure sounds better/fuller than the original score. I find this a great AOTW (actually the month+ grin) I like to figure out for myself things that aren't in my music books, it's rewarding but it does stifle my practice playing a bit.

This is cool. I've been doing that with a couple of simpler arrangements of songs, too - I'd love to be able to do it on the fly, instead of having to memorize my arrangements, but I'm not there yet. But it's really fun. Sort of Mr S-H's F.O.A.M. method in miniature, for me smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@Ragdoll - That's great Ragdoll. If it sounds better now, then it's OK, for sure. Congrats!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, everyone is so busy! Love reading the news!

Special congrats to Wimpiano on the arrival of Miss Naomi ! May she live a long, happy and healthy life, surrounded by those who love her.

Ragdoll - that's very cool!
JimF -you're really playing some great music!
Wisebuff: safe travels and try to just relax!

Earlofmar - interesting stuff you're doing there!

My AOTW is that I've made a breakthrough on my Clementi - several stumbling blocks have been moved out of the way. I am not finished by any means, but I'm over some major challenges.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've been doing that with a couple of simpler arrangements of songs, too - I'd love to be able to do it on the fly

@jotur
heh, me too. I have to think about it first, then try it, then write it into the score. I also sometimes fail to recognize a triad in 2nd or 3rd inversions and have to look at each note to see it's an inversion that I could identify in root position easily. It's all pretty new to me still but fun anyway.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's great Ragdoll. If it sounds better now, then it's OK, for sure. Congrats!

Thanks CarlosCC, it's slow going right now. I hope it becomes easier as I do it more. smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Page 286 of 540 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission