2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2047380 03/13/13 12:27 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey Everyone,
My 1st post but I have been lurking for 3 months.Around Christmas I decided it was time to retire my Steinway upright(17 years) for a grand.I wanted to find something for about 25k and did so.I found a Steinway M (1917) that was about to be rebuilt.I jumped on it. Over the last 3 months i decided to educate myself more...YES i did this totally ass backwards.I live in Durham,NC I went to our local dealers.I played a lot of pianos that I have not played so much..I am a jazz pianist and its what I do for a living,so its pretty rare to play Bluthners,Bechsteins,Schimmels..ect...I normally get Steinway Ds..some I love and most I fight with for an hour and a half and then move on to the next city.I am a huge fan of Steinway but I did come to love most of the European pianos.I must admit this took time cause it really is a different sound for me.

Well I really did love the Faziol's I played and the dealer here sells them.If money was not an object I would have gotten one....one day for sure..
So on Saturday my Steinway M arrived and the rebuild was great..The piano looked amazing.The action needed some more fine tuning but it was great.The problem is,its too small..It is powerful for a little piano,but there is little to no color.I was very disappointed but determined.So I went back to Ruggero piano and started going back to the pianos that caught my ear..I wanted to stay under 6 and a half feet so...So my contenders were Mason AA..Becstein 190..Schimmel K 189
I played them for hours over the last few months but didnt want to pay extra..the plan would be to upgrade in a year or so..
The Mason was nice and warm but after playing the German pianos,the Mason was the 1st to go..I loved the Bechstein,the action was amazing and the tone was warm and clear..There was just something about the Schimmel..So I traded in the Steinway and they delivering the Schimmel in 2 days..
Dealing with Richard (the owner) was an absolute pleasure.In this process,we became friends.
this is getting long,but I wanted to thank everyone for all the info I learned here!!
all the best,Joey

S
S
Congratulations! Schimmel has a unique "airy" treble, and the best action (my favorite action). It was my close friend's favorite piano as well, his comment was among all the brands he has heard, Schimmel has the unique tone of "happiness", which he would love to sit back and hear someone playing it all day.

PLEYEL P124
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats! Bigger really helps and the Ruggero family does everything well.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made.

The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

Also they tend to be loud and louder, no real soft playing possible.

Don't mean to rain on your parade-I am glad you are happy with your new piano and I wish you well.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
OP Offline
J
No rain Ed..I am sure you are aware of the C and K lines of Schimmel(Kbeing the top of the line).

I was able to play soft and loud no problems..Maybe the C series is a bit different that way,but I never even tried them..

I will know a lot more in the near future..

E
E
Welcome and congrats on the new Schimmel! And can't resist saying... love your music! I've been keeping an ear out since I first heard you with Michael Brecker in Boston in 1990.

Schimmel 130T
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made.

The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

Also they tend to be loud and louder, no real soft playing possible.

Don't mean to rain on your parade-I am glad you are happy with your new piano and I wish you well.

Ed,

I understand your post, but I would suggest some work that would get rid of most of the initial attack (string noise). The front duplexes tend to whine and working them does a lot of good.

Some well placed hammer work (alignment and sugar coating) helps a whole lot as well, IMHO.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Joey Calderazzo
Hey Everyone,
My 1st post but I have been lurking for 3 months.Around Christmas I decided it was time to retire my Steinway upright(17 years) for a grand.I wanted to find something for about 25k and did so.I found a Steinway M (1917) that was about to be rebuilt.I jumped on it. Over the last 3 months i decided to educate myself more...YES i did this totally ass backwards.I live in Durham,NC I went to our local dealers.I played a lot of pianos that I have not played so much..I am a jazz pianist and its what I do for a living,so its pretty rare to play Bluthners,Bechsteins,Schimmels..ect...I normally get Steinway Ds..some I love and most I fight with for an hour and a half and then move on to the next city.I am a huge fan of Steinway but I did come to love most of the European pianos.I must admit this took time cause it really is a different sound for me.

Well I really did love the Faziol's I played and the dealer here sells them.If money was not an object I would have gotten one....one day for sure..
So on Saturday my Steinway M arrived and the rebuild was great..The piano looked amazing.The action needed some more fine tuning but it was great.The problem is,its too small..It is powerful for a little piano,but there is little to no color.I was very disappointed but determined.So I went back to Ruggero piano and started going back to the pianos that caught my ear..I wanted to stay under 6 and a half feet so...So my contenders were Mason AA..Becstein 190..Schimmel K 189
I played them for hours over the last few months but didnt want to pay extra..the plan would be to upgrade in a year or so..
The Mason was nice and warm but after playing the German pianos,the Mason was the 1st to go..I loved the Bechstein,the action was amazing and the tone was warm and clear..There was just something about the Schimmel..So I traded in the Steinway and they delivering the Schimmel in 2 days..
Dealing with Richard (the owner) was an absolute pleasure.In this process,we became friends.
this is getting long,but I wanted to thank everyone for all the info I learned here!!
all the best,Joey

Congrats on a great instrument.
I gotta ask, are you THE Joey Calderazzo?
If so you're one of my greatest musical heroes. If not, well I like you anyway:)

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
J
OP Offline
J
hey Adrean,
lol..yeah its me..not too many with that name i dont think..
I have been hanging around here and decided to join the other day..
see you around,Joey

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Well it's an honor to have you here. I met you an number of years ago at the Top O' the Senator in Toronto when you were playing in Brantford's quartet. I was just starting out then and you were really kind and supportive. Thanks for that.
Ps. Bri's Dance on Haiku is still one of my all time favorite solo piano tracks. (Ok I'm gonna stop gushing now:)
Cheers,
Adrean

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made. The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

The statement fails to differentiate between the several different lines of "Schimmel".

For example, the Classic and Konzert series are so different, they may as well be made by different makers.

While the statement may be perhaps partially true for the one series, it definitely does not for the other.

Small detail worth mentioning especially since OP bought the formidable K 189....

Congrats to a great, dynamically awesome piano!

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 03/14/13 02:02 AM.

J
OP Offline
J
ha,thanks Norbert..i was thinking of buying a clavinova after reading that post!!!
Its all good..I did some research and feel that the K series is very good...and Richard Ruggero was a huge help in this process..it was a tough choice between the Schimmel and the Bechstein A 190 but I think I made a good choice..I think I will be very happy..and then I will most likely buy a Fazioli in the next 5 years..I played the 6 foot Fazioli the other day and it really blew me away..I would get bigger but it was amazing ..

M
M
I have played a grand schimmel one time, it was a great pleasure. One of the best !

J
OP Offline
J
Today is the day!!!

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Just remember to keep breathing!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
D
Remember to post pics!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of Schimmel pianos....

Congrats!

Enjoy it smile

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum. I am a member of the Schimmel fan club. And, after an enjoyable hour of youtube, I can now say, I am a fan of Mr. Calderazzo. Denver on your touring schedule?

J
OP Offline
J
well the piano arrived and I am thrilled..everyone is sleeping but I am playing very quietly!!!.
Honestly I never knew pianos could sound like this..As I told Richard,I LOVE Steinways cause it was what I was used to.Its basically the only piano I play on the road. Every now and then I get a great one and its heaven but most of the time I am just avoiding the bad octaves..I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to be able to play the entire piano..It sounds really good to amazing through out the entire keyboard..
I have always been a huge fan of the tenor area in Steinways and was somewhat concerned about not having that at home..well after a few hours I can say I am fine..Its really nice to HEAR everything I am playing so clearly.. I almost feel a little naked!! I do plan on doing some recording with this piano so we will see..Joey

What a pleasure to have you here and add your vast experience to our threads. You bought a great piano and you should enjoy it until you find your "dream". The Schimmel and Fazioli seem to have a similar sound. To me it's a more "fundamental" sound, very pure and clean. Certainly different than a Steinway D. I was wondering if you noticed a difference overall of NY Steinways vs. Hamburgs as you have probably played many of both.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission