2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Some of you have become acquainted with the US piano teaching fad called Recreational Music Making (that's the way it is spelled, or sometimes it is abbreviated as RMM). Basically it is group teaching of adult beginners and early-level players, in which the teacher is as much party host and cheerleader as mentor. Fun is the operative word, and home practice or improvement may not be part of the package.

Well, I attended an MTNA session given by RMM facilitator Susan Geffen of Dallas that sounded more intelligent than some of these RMM programs. She leads piano classes at a suburban Dallas seniors' centre. They are confined to a group of 4-6 participants, and she encourages (but does not require) each person to play some piece for the group each week. Sessions last one hour, and of course fly by, given that there are also group musical activities she designs.

The students are all playing different repertoire, and she tries to offer general observations that can be helpful to each. About tempo, perhaps, or addressing basics of expression, or about technical matters like hand position. The classes bond quickly, and people tend to sign up term after term. A course lasts 6-8 weeks, is ongoing, and is subsidized by the city's department for senior citizens.

There's something good to be said for such classes, and I could imagine trying them sometime someday in Toronto, though I don't think they would speak to my present studio of adult learners.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I took adult group piano through the University music dept. extension. There were about 8 of us, at a wide range of beginning levels. The teacher always brought something that we could play together and gave each person individual time for whatever we were working on. We had recitals a couple times each term where we'd play in a hall with a big old Steinway. For recitals the rule was that the player could do whatever was necessary--start, stop, slow down--anything, but we were not permitted to talk no swearing, muttering, apologizing, etc.

It was great fun.

Learner
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Good to hear this, malkin. Was the class offered repeatedly (each semester or term), or just once? Did any of your fellow participants have a regular piano teacher outside of this class?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I've not heard of this fad, but it sounds not unlike the other community groups I play in or sing in. Making music together with like minded people is much more fun for me.

gotta go practice
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I just went to an RMM class out here in Los Angeles a last week. it was at a large chain piano store.. teacher was very good and I got the first lesson for free.. its $25 a lesson (for 1 hr), kind of on the expensive side for me.. but I enjoyed my first class and liked the material and the way it was taught. btw im an intermediate level player.

P
P
I like that idea actually. This would be very good for my older students, but alas, organizing it would be tough to do.

Pianist/Accompanist/Piano Instructor
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Good to hear this, malkin. Was the class offered repeatedly (each semester or term), or just once? Did any of your fellow participants have a regular piano teacher outside of this class?

It went on and on. When I joined there were several participants who had been there for years. None of us was taking lessons, although a few past participants engaged the teacher privately and didn't come to class anymore, but they played at our recitals.

I enrolled for three semesters. After that, there was a change in staff and a change in schedule and then I discontinued. After floundering around for a year or so I have landed with a splendid private teacher.

I still miss our funny little class though!

Learner
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Great report, malkin. I asked Susan Geffen whether some of her RMM students were turned on enough to also study with her privately. She said several of them have asked her, but they all balked when they learned how much she charges for one-on-one teaching.

It sounds as if her classes are subsidized by the community, so perhaps the participants are not even paying $25 like Gatsbee would be paying. OTH, Plano, Texas is an affluent suburb, so I figured the students would be willing to pay the going rate for individual lessons, even if they are seniors.

I guess once you've had fun and paid next to nothing, it's hard to switch to a different model.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is most interesting. Living in a retirement community, I'm sure the possibilities are endless. For those of us used to working one on one, this could really broaden our horizons. Peter, thanks for covering this. A major problem with conventions is that we can only tap a few of the presentations.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
G
G
I think RMM could be more than a fad. I actually did a 50-page research paper on the benefits of RMM for adults and older adults. There was a lot of evidence-based research indicating the physical and emotional health benefits of participating in these activities. This is sometimes even used in corporations for the benefit of employees.

I also attended a training by REMO, the drum manufacturer, on Health Rhythms training where we became certified in learning a specific protocol to use using drums and other rhythm instruments. There are physicians and other professionals currently doing research in this field.

It was all very interesting, but, as someone mentioned, difficult to implement. I did implement this at an assisted-living center using hand drums and other rhythm instruments, and there was resistance from some administration, but some of the residents really enjoyed this.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
So here's your angle to teaching employment, Grace. Go for it! All you need is one administrator on your side, and you're in business. Show them your research paper, and tell them they need to be proactive.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 03/22/13 12:29 AM.
G
G
I hear you, Peter, but the reality is that there is little earning potential in this environment, sorry to say. I learned this from someone who tried this route. Would be nice to do this occasionally though. I still have all the drums and percussion instruments. Will need to think about this. I have a lot to think about.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission