2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2044475 03/07/13 12:17 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hey, my name is Rusty Wilson. I am working on a research paper about what kind of people play piano; and if this differs by: age, gender, and the type of music the piano player enjoys playing. I am also researching why people play piano and why they started. If you could just take a few minutes and answer the survey below I would greatly appreciate it. If you do not want to answer some of the questions, that is fine. Any answers greatly help out. I have posted my own answers as an example.
Please do not post after April 20th 2013.

1: What kind of music do you enjoy playing? (Pop, classical, jazz, etc…)
2: How old are you?
3: Are you man or woman?
4: How old were you when you first started to learn piano?
5: Why did you start playing piano?
6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself? (Beginner, intermediate, late advance, etc…)
7: What kind of piano do you play? (Grand, upright, electric, Yamaha, Knabe, Stienway)
8: Why do you love to play piano?

My own answers:
1: I love to play contemporary and folk music on the piano.
2: I am sixteen years old now.
3: I am a man.
4: I was 5 years old when I first started to learn piano.
5: My mom first had me learn piano.
6: I would rate myself a late intermediate to early advance piano player.
7: I play on a Vose & Sons cabinet piano, and an electric Yamaha.
8: I personally love piano for beautiful sound it makes and the sheer joy of running my fingers up and down the piano in the process of playing one of my favorite songs.

Last edited by Rusty Wilson; 03/07/13 12:18 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It would greatly help you to use google docs to make a normal survey rather than posting in this forum like that, but in any case:

1. Pretty much all. Classical, contemporary classical in particular, and more specifically my own music, but pop and songs as well.
2. 35
3. Man
4. 5
5. My parents thought I had talent and I enjoyed playing the piano everywhere I went.
6. Professional
7. Grand and upright and digital. All three! wink (and keyboards actually).
8. Because I live and breath through music.

'nuff said! grin

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I have played classical, pop and show tunes at times, but now almost exclusively jazz.
Man
Around 10
Parents signed me up.
6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself? (Beginner, intermediate, late advance, etc…)
An advanced intermediate.
7: What kind of piano do you play? (Grand, upright, electric, Yamaha, Knabe, Stienway)
Upright at home (Fandrich), digital on gigs (Yamaha).
There is no why. It's just something that feels so good I could never not play.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hardest question is #6. grin

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
1: Atonal (but not serial), baroque and romantic mostly...oh, and renaissance of course...anything really laugh Except jazz frown Edit: Impressionism most of all! shocked
2: 21
3: Woman
4: 13-ish
5: It opened a window into my soul I couldn't bear let close.
6: Hmm...probably a reasonable beginner.
7. A very dirty Yamaha Portable Grand, model DGX 520, though I only played on a beautiful Blüthner until I was about 18.
8. It is the one way I feel I can accurately express myself...and, um...if I'm away from it for too long I just ache all through; the relief from that is almost beyond compare..urgh, it sounds horribly cliché but...I love it because I have no other way to be; um, it is not a raison d'être, but rather chemin à être.
I hope this helps...but, frankly, your questions are for the most part so open ended I struggle to imagine what statistical collation you could really form...save for a vague, impressionistic one...um...good luck!
Xxx
P.S. #6 *is* really hard laugh

Last edited by FSO; 03/07/13 03:22 PM.

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mostly classical. I've played some Gershwin, Joplin and even some Boogie Woogie but only wish I could play real Jazz.

Personal question?? :P I'm 43.

The last time I checked I was a man.

Started for one year at age 7, quit and then took it up again in high school.

I wanted to try it probably because my sisters were taking lessons. I took it up again simply because I was drawn to the instrument.

Late, always late to the party. I guess advanced but that is difficult to evaluate.

At home I practice on an old Clavinova. I hate it now but have given it more life through piano software. A few times a week I practice on the real thing at a conservatory.

Its an obsession. I don't see how I could stop playing piano. I love music so its as simple as that. The piano gives you a whole orchestra under your fingers which you can't achieve with other instruments. I played saxophone in school but was drawn to the piano for that reason.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Classical (mostly Chopin and Bach) and folk tunes, hymns etc
XX in fact, XY in spirit (transgendered)
fivish
I couldn't stay away from a neighbor's piano so she persuaded my mother I needed lessons to get rid of me
early advanced
1937 Kurtzmann small grand
When I'm at the keys all's right with my world

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
B
B
1) Classical mainly (99%), but I'll dabble in anything short of microtonal (because there ain't no microtones on a piano unless it's out of tune, or I dial in 'Arabic' unequal temperament on my digital, but that sounds too weird). I'll even dabble in jazz.....

2) Far too old

3) Indeterminate (but my sex genes are XY)

4) Around 10 - again, far too old

5) Because my parents wanted their children to keep up with the 'Jones's', a.k.a. my cousins, who were playing Beethoven's Für Elise at 8 and Mozart's Rondo alla turca at age 9. (BTW, they've all given up playing.....)

6) Advanced, I think (in my dreams, 'Virtuoso'.... wink )

7) My home piano is a high-end digital, Roland V-Piano, which I play using headphones. (No space, too many neighbors, thin walls and floors and ceiling....)

8) For the music, the expression of my innermost existentialist manifestation of my Freudian psychobabble.......er, what was the question?

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Hi, Rusty. I'll take a crack at it.

1: What kind of music do you enjoy playing? Mostly classical, but I dabble with old standards and very light jazz.
2: How old are you? 59
3: Are you man or woman? man
4: How old were you when you first started to learn piano? 4.
5: Why did you start playing piano? My dad bought a piano for the house and I was intrigued with it.
6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself? I guess I'm still very advanced. I certainly was when I was younger.
7: What kind of piano do you play? Steinway Grand
8: Why do you love to play piano? It's just part of my life. I love all types of classical music, and the piano and singing are my only two outlets (I'm a much better pianist). I find it incredibly relaxing, even when I'm playing challenging works. Although I have a great career as a lawyer, I can imagine not practicing law. I can't imagine not making music.

P.S. I might as well tell you that the collective wisdom of this board is that a "song" is something you sing. I piano work is a "piece." This is technically correct. Nobody will ever correct you if you say "piece."

Good luck with your project. I remember when our girls used to do things like this in high school.

Mark_C #2044704 03/07/13 07:51 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Hardest question is #6. grin

You're right, of course. It depends on your point of view. I answered "very advanced" because I play much, much better than most bankruptcy lawyers. grin

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
1. I play it all, as the old-timers here will tell you...
2. Forty-ish, but don’t tell my 19 year old boyfriend (he thinks I’m 34 - isn't that sweet...)?
3. Lady
4. Five years old
5. Mama bought me a piano, the rest is history.
6. I’m a compilation of Carmen Cavallero, Frankie Carle and Joanne Castle...
7. Own a Steinway (rare series G). Baldwin grand, Yamaha grand and Kawai at work.
Hamburg Steinway at school.
8. Among other things, it pays the bills...

Last edited by Auntie Lynn; 03/08/13 01:52 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What kind of music do you enjoy playing? (Pop, classical, jazz, etc…)
Classical.

How old are you?
18 in May!

Are you man or woman?

How old were you when you first started to learn piano?
14, details below.

Why did you start playing piano?
One of my close friends has an upright piano built in 1910. I've always loved old history and antiques so it always intrigued me to go over there and tinker with it. One day in my 8th grade year, my friend played a recording of The Entertainer and I started picking out what I could by ear. Ever since I've been hooked.

At what level of skill would you rate yourself? (Beginner, intermediate, late advance, etc…)
I'm pretty advanced. I'm working on Chopin's last scherzo and I'm doing well. There are however gaps in my technique such as playing chromatic chords fast and thirds trills. I have good arpeggio technique but I wouldn't be able to just bust out the first page of op. 10 no. 8 any time soon, so that's another thing I need to work on. Learning ETUDES.

What kind of piano do you play? (Grand, upright, electric, Yamaha, Knabe, Stienway)
I play on a Yamaha G2. It has good tone and great action, but it needs a regulation. whistle

Why do you love to play piano?
Why does anyone love anything? I guess I love it because I love music, and I'm good at it. Also, I love Chopin so it's a good thing to be a pianist when you love Chopin! grin

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
1: Classical, Jazz
2: 21
3: Man
4: 20
5: The opportunity to play and self-teach presented itself when family randomly purchased an upright for decoration.
6: Beginner
7: Yamaha digital, Kohler & Chase upright
8: Self-expression, entertainment, because I like music, etc.

1: Pop, Modern, Classical
2: 30
3: M
4: 8
5: I enjoyed it!
6: Advanced
7: Yamaha C3
8: It's beautiful!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

1: What kind of music do you enjoy playing?
easy listening, some classical composers, no jazz!
old enough to be yo' mama
see # 2
officially 12ish, kanoodled for several years before lessons
as young'uns, my sister and I spent many wonderful hours at our grandmother's old upright
6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself?
probably early-mid intermediate
7: What kind of piano do you play?
digital grand
Even on my crappiest playing day, all my cares melt away like ice in the hot sun. It's my zen place.

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sheesh... I'm the only one who said 'professional' at No. 6 and I'm actually a professional composer and not a pianist?!?!? I'm amazing, am I not? :P

Nikolas #2045240 03/08/13 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
....I'm amazing, am I not? :P

Well anyway we know this is true! grin

PattyP #2045257 03/08/13 09:41 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1: What kind of music do you enjoy playing? Classical only.

2: How old are you? Old enough that it's impolite to ask. My hair has been white since my 40's. Your guess.

3: Are you man or woman? Woman

4: How old were you when you first started to learn piano? Dabbled very young. Lessons started at 10.

5: Why did you start playing piano? I was raised immersed in classical music and always loved it. My parents asked if I wanted to take lessons. I fell in love with the piano when I sat down to practice right after my very first lesson. I still remember it clearly.

6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself? Advancing. (My friends say I'm somewhat advanced but I'll never be able to play a 10th or play a Rach concerto.)

7: What kind of piano do you play? Steinway grand.

8: Why do you love to play piano? It makes me happy.

Best regards,

Deborah
S
SBP Offline
S
1. Ragtime, jazz, a little bit of classical. A lot of video game themes, 80s/90s pop, and modern music as well.
2. 16
3. Man, I hope. It better not just be a tumor (rimshot)
4. 7 when I first really began playing, but we'd had a piano around since I was about 4 or 5.
5. I have no clue, really. We had a piano that had a long strip with key names lining up with the keys (thank god it wasn't those stupid stickers. Yeck), and there was a basic book with the note names labeled. Didn't take too long for me to figure it out. Found out I was good at it, played a lot, got lessons, outdid the teacher, and then it's fuzzy from there. I lost interest in 6th grade
and didn't pick it back up 'til this September. And now I'm even better and with a beautiful new piano for once.
6. Very high intermediate, or advanced.
7. Kawai K3 pro upright.
8. Because banjos are for hicks, ukuleles are for hipsters, organs are for wackos, guitars are for mere mortals, harpsichords are for les douches (c'est different en français), and violins are irritating. It's really one of the few instruments I can stand the sound of, actually.

Last edited by SBP; 03/08/13 11:41 PM.

2012 Kawai K3
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
1: What kind of music do you enjoy playing? Primarily classical, but also some jazz

2: How old are you? 31

3: Are you man or woman? Woman

4: How old were you when you first started to learn piano? 7

5: Why did you start playing piano? I couldn't stay away, and I was better than my brother wink

6: At what level of skill would you rate yourself? early advanced / advanced

7: What kind of piano do you play? upright Young Chang at home (but waiting for my new-to-me Yamaha C3 to be delivered), Yamaha C7 at church

8: Why do you love to play piano? it's the one place where i don't need to find the right words to say what i want to say...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission