Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Almaviva, 41 invisible), 1597 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2047508 - 03/13/13 08:03 AM Double notes a whole step apart off the Melodic Minor
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I was just messing around last night and I struck on an interesting sound based off the G Melodic Minor scale with double notes. These sound cool for the C7+11 or Em7 b5 chords.

I'll just spell it out since I'm too lazy to scan the music. These are all fingered 1/2 & 4/5 for the RH btw.

The RH starts a 5th up from middle C . Be sure to play very slowly in eighth notes connected/legato. Also concentrate on digging into the keys so each interval of the double notes are sounded clearly :

G/A to E/F#...Bb/C to G/A...D/E to Bb/C...E/F# to C/D and to the octave of again of G/A to E/F#.

I go one past the octave to Bb/C to G/A and then come down in reverse sequence of:

A/G to Bb/C...E/F# to G/A...C/D to E/F#...Bb/C to D/E....G/A to Bb/C and finish at the home base of E/F# to G/A. (I think I got the sequence right but it was late here so there might be a typo)

Aside from the obvious technical challenge it re-enforces your knowledge of the melodic minor scale and it's application to those particular chords. In addition it can help you see new shapes within the Melodic minor which further advance voicings and lines. A good way to practice might be using the LH voicing of E/A/Bb/D or Bb/E/A while playing the RH double notes against it.

You can also play all 4 notes together as one chord/voicing and go up and down the sequence that way. Use of the sustain pedal during the double notes or 4 note voicings is strictly verboten btw. Learn to use your fingers to connect the notes, not the pedal.

I added the LH down 2 octaves and fingered those 5/4 & 2/1 for even more of a workout. Of course the real challenge comes when you start transposing to different keys. This can get pretty arduous so just do a little at a time. Also if your better half is in the vicintiy, headphones are a must ! If you're on acoustic, you might want to wait until the coast is clear.... grin

After the sequence has been somewhat mastered, you can take individual strands, like say the first one of G/A to E/F# for instance and just transpose that to all 12 keys around the circle of 4ths or up and down the octave chromatically or in intervals of major or minor thirds up and down the octave. Again you can play the LH voicing against or even better yet-try to mentally visualize the chord and the double notes' relationship to that particular chord without a RH voicing. That's one of the extra challenges of adding the LH in unison down 2 octaves.

I've found aside from jazz, this sound works very well in latin and fusiony/funk contexts. Also played on a rhodes, it has a lot of bite, also doesn't *mud* out like a lot of acoustic piano sounds do transferred to EP.

So basically in context, if you have a Bb Maj7 chord for a bar or two and then it goes up to the C7, like in *take the A train* (only down a step obviously from C) you might want to experiment around with strands of this. Also something like Girl from Ipanema. Just make sure you overdue it on that one so you get a rep of being an out jazzer and never get called again..mission accomplished.. laugh

2005 NY Steinway D

Piano & Music Accessories
#2051038 - 03/19/13 07:30 PM Re: Double notes a whole step apart off the Melodic Minor [Re: Dave Ferris]
Mark Green Offline

Loc: Jamaica
very interesting stuff!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349374 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission