2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 192 of 540 1 2 190 191 192 193 194 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll — Ah, making progress on the Canon in D. Does that mean that whoever posted that YouTube video (honestly, I forgot who it was!) is responsible for saving your introduction to classical music from crashing head first into a solid wall?

Hi Saranoya, yes I'd agree that Allard posting that David Ganz vid inspired me to take another run at it without crashing yet. The only remotely "classical" piece I knew (to play at least) was the little Vivace piece. I am finding the Canon gets progressively more difficult the further I get into it but I'm completely commited to it despite how much time/effort it takes smile and I'm sure it will be a long haul to play it to my satisfaction.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Perhaps it's just that one particular contributor, with the best possible intentions, dominates the thread with a positive reaction to absolutely EVERYTHING! Even an infant school class quickly learns that praise spread that thinly is worthless!

Another thought... this is roughly equivalent to posting to the Chopin thread and complaining that they have such a narrow focus on just one composer. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh my, my lesson yesterday did not go as well as I'd hoped but was helpful anyway. Teacher AGAIN pointed out that I should pay more attention to keeping my wrists elevated. I reviewed what little films I have made of my practice sessions and indeed I do tend to let the heel of my left hand fall below the keys more than I should. RE: my new Q3HD, I finally figured out how to use it best for audio and camera placement. Recording my practice sessions has been the best tool for assessing my posture, hand placement, and bodily tension while playing, as well as listening to/hearing my dynamics, etc without having to play at the same time.

My practice has gone well since the lesson though and most of my pieces I'm working on for Spring recital are well memorized. That gives me more time to work on the Canon and other new pieces and just review the older one every other day or so. I'm satisfied with how I'm progressing.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano - ok, maybe you won't have it by Friday but it WILL come, and you'll be so pleased. And then, when you pull it out in November to get ready for Christmas, it will be even easier!!

Thanks for the encouragement- seems like it never will! I have to pop out to get a blind for my bathroom and when I come back I will practise til my friend comes over- this should be at least an hour! I tell myself not to feel guilt going out and getting the blind- it is in a sale for £3 and I need one! My Piano keeps looking at me.

Wisebuff- next time you meet the naysayer piano teacher tell her about this 58 year old Brit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2013/jan/11/alan-rusbridger-chopin-video

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/20/13 09:37 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

Wisebuff- next time you meet the naysayer piano teacher tell her about this 58 year old Brit:

Such a tease! It looks like a good book, but it won't be released in the US until September.

Thanks for the link!

Learner
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Perhaps it's just that one particular contributor, with the best possible intentions, dominates the thread with a positive reaction to absolutely EVERYTHING! Even an infant school class quickly learns that praise spread that thinly is worthless!

If it makes you feel any better, I think you are a wet blanket. How is that for lack of encouragement. smile

Yes, I thought I'd stir some of you up with that one! :-)

Just remember that when praise (or anything) becomes routine, it loses all impact.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

If it makes you feel any better, I think you are a wet blanket. How is that for lack of encouragement. smile

Yes, I thought I'd stir some of you up with that one! :-)

Just remember that when praise (or anything) becomes routine, it loses all impact.

In your opinion, yes. If I may interject here, I think we should trust everyone's best judgement if they should praise, how much they should praise etc. I am one of those who are guilty of praising others because I think it's more beneficial. If someone thinks that I gave too much praise, well, then you know better. Just don't take it. I don't want to get into "what's appropriate vs not" type of discussion here because much of it depends on one's cultural and individual background. I came from a culture where people would answer, "Not so badly" or "Just hanging around" to a question "how are you?". During my early years of US, I used to be shocked when people answer "Fantastic" or "Great" to the same question. People here are generally speaking more encouraging than the people in my home region (Northen Japan). My folks used to say, whenever I make mistakes, "There you go again, that's why you are no good". Imagine hearing that right after you hit a wrong chord in the final measure in a recital when I was a child. My folks comments weren't unusual. I wish my folks said something more encouraging. I might have not quit the piano which I liked. Adults have their own fragile ego's. I would like to try to encourage our friends. Of course, it's only my opinion. If you or others think my comments too much, my apologies. Also let me apologize here for my often inadequate English as well.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with you, FarmGirl. Praise is good! Adult beginners in piano need all the praise they can get. Most are their own worst critic. I love this thread for its camaraderie and mutual support. For many adults, it is too easy to discouraged by an apparent lack of progress. I think we need to celebrate each and every tiny advance and it is nice to have someone to commiserate with. This thread does that!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mabraman
The upright in my music school has been tuned and adjusted, at last!!
No more sticky keys. It was worth the risk of insisting on it to my teacher, who apparently wasn't awared of the weird sound and action.

That's good!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Such a tease! It looks like a good book, but it won't be released in the US until September.

Thanks for the link!

Did you see his video? I loved that- he is very inspiring. I'm thinking of getting the book myself.

Edit- here's his website:

http://alanrusbridger.com/playitagain

If any of you can play the Ballade there's a competition! Record yourself on you tube!

http://alanrusbridger.com/playitagain/competition

I have just done a whole hour on Piano!!! The Handel is coming along. I also went back and played earlier Alfred's pieces- was interesting to me to see which ones still stuck and ones I had forgotten. I also recorded myself on my mobile phone playing the very teeny version of Largo from the book.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/20/13 01:39 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would like to try to encourage our friends. Of course, it's only my opinion. If you or others think my comments too much, my apologies. Also let me apologize here for my often inadequate English as well.

Don't apologise for anything FarmGirl! I really like reading your posts and think your positive and friendly comments are great! I didn't know you are Japanese- your English is very very good. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I heart LOVE heart this thread. It is my go to destination for the three P's

3hearts POSITIVE PIANO PRELECTION 3hearts

Thank you Cheryl for starting it 2hearts , and thank you to all of the other regular contributors for keeping it going. 3hearts It has inspired, taught, humored, and comforted me during my musical journey. thumb

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for that clip, Edwardian. Very interesting. If you haven't read it already, you might like the book Piano Lessons by Noah Adams. It has a similar theme, although the piece he set out to play at the start of his journey (Schumann's Traumerei) was a little less daunting, to say the least.

Christine

[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by casinitaly

What are you pleased with this week?

I've been laid up in a ski lodge for a week, with a badly twisted knee.

They have a very nice piano, and if I'm not going to be able to work on ski technique at least I can work on piano technique.

So I spend a couple hours in the lounge yesterday trying to keep my repertoire groomed. As I'm closing up the piano, a woman approaches and hands me a $5 "tip".

I may have it framed. :P

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

I think that when you write 'one particular contributor', we all know who you're thinking of. But look at the stuff I've written here (go ahead ... I haven't been here long, so there's not much of it ... I'll wait). I could just as easily be considered the one who gives 'a positive reaction to absolutely EVERYTHING!'.

That's because I know myself. When it comes to learning to play the piano, I am, without a doubt, my own worst enemy. (As others here have already said, that's true of many, if not most, adult (re)starters. Which is the reason this thread exists.)

When I write something here, I'm really not looking for a 'brutally honest' assessment of what I have (or haven't) accomplished. I'm looking for someone to cheer me on. I'm looking for another pair of eyes, to help them see what I often can't see on my own, which is: despite my eternal feeling of frustration at a perceived lack of progress, where is the bright side in this story?

Forcing myself to write about something that I might rightfully consider an accomplishment, *each and every week*, makes me look at my piano journey from a completely different angle. It reminds me of why I'm doing this, even through the 'bad' patches -- and it helps to have an echo chamber (this thread) where my tentative hunches are reinforced by other people's enthusiastic reactions.

If you are the kind of person who thrives on critiques (constructive or not), the solution is simple: this thread is not intended for you. Read, contribute, snicker behind our backs, or ignore us all you like. But please, don't call our most active contributor's input 'worthless'. It's not.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
A
A
[Linked Image]

Can I be excited now?

(and poor)

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Be very excited, Allard! We want the details!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by malkin

Thanks for the link!

Did you see his video? I loved that- he is very inspiring. I'm thinking of getting the book myself.

Edit- here's his website:

http://alanrusbridger.com/playitagain

If any of you can play the Ballade there's a competition! Record yourself on you tube!

http://alanrusbridger.com/playitagain/competition

I have just done a whole hour on Piano!!! The Handel is coming along. I also went back and played earlier Alfred's pieces- was interesting to me to see which ones still stuck and ones I had forgotten. I also recorded myself on my mobile phone playing the very teeny version of Largo from the book.

Thanks so much for that! The video was inspiring, and I think I'm going to push myself and record it in time for that deadline. I'd LOVE a trip to London! laugh

EDIT: It appears you have to live in the UK. Oh well. If I can get it done in time, I'll enter anyway.

Last edited by Sam Rose; 02/20/13 03:47 PM.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Allard: you HAVE to be excited! When that wonderful piano will be delivered to your home?

Casinitaly: my Czerny is op. 299 (Scuola della velocità), it's a but too much advanced for me but still... After Christmas holiday we stopped working on exercise n. 3 - arpeggios -(modified by my teacher) and I was asked me to start number 4 for articulation. These are exercises, not really etudes, so less musical. One of my sons is studying on the first Czernyana and I find it more enjoyable.

Saranoya: yes, I feel better without Czerny. Especially because teacher said we will use my Scarlatti piece to work on technique.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
A
A
In my recital video I'm trying a few pianos in the local store. Didn't really find the perfect instrument, so today I went shopping at "Bol Piano's", allegedly Europe's largest dealer. They have 1500 pianos. Took a while to play!

After trying several restored Yamaha uprights that were going for 4k euro (U1 and U3), I wanted to compare with a grand. Tried the 12k baby grand in the picture. It sounded... well, almost as good as the 65k Steinway & Sons I also tried, and much better than the other cheap or used models. It's a Perzina 152cm; an originally German brand, factory now in China, owned by Bol.

They cut 3k off the price and offered to deliver tomorrow. Tomorrow! laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Page 192 of 540 1 2 190 191 192 193 194 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission