Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2046109 - 03/10/13 06:47 PM Howard/Baldwin
bob1957 Offline

A little confused, does anybody know of this combined brand? I just found a Grand for sale the ad say's Howard outside Baldwin Inside....was wondering if this combination is something common or is this possibly a retrofit of 2 different brands?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2046110 - 03/10/13 07:00 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Howard was an economy brand for Baldwin, much like Essex or Boston is for Steinway.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2046117 - 03/10/13 07:14 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: beethoven986]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
Howard was an economy brand for Baldwin, much like Essex or Boston is for Steinway.

Yes. Were the older ones made in USA?

I played a Howard which I think was manufactured in China (but couldn't verify. It was a newer piano), and to state my opinion bluntly the piano was very poor.

#2046129 - 03/10/13 07:27 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: beethoven986]
bob1957 Offline

Does that make the entire piano of a lesser quality then say a plain Baldwin? I'm assuming they used a lesser quality Baldwin action etc? as Linclon is to Ford or vice versa? if you dont mind me using that comparison?

#2046136 - 03/10/13 07:45 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bob1957

Does that make the entire piano of a lesser quality then say a plain Baldwin? I'm assuming they used a lesser quality Baldwin action etc? as Linclon is to Ford or vice versa? if you dont mind me using that comparison?

Cars generally don't make good piano analogies. But yes, the Howard pianos were not as good as the Baldwins.

#2046137 - 03/10/13 07:48 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: musicpassion]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musicpassion

Yes. Were the older ones made in USA?

I played a Howard which I think was manufactured in China (but couldn't verify. It was a newer piano), and to state my opinion bluntly the piano was very poor.

Yes, I believe the older ones were made in the USA. At one point, they were made by Kawai, in Japan, and were essentially Kawais with the Howard name. They could have eventually be made in China. I don't know.

#2046147 - 03/10/13 08:10 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Keep in mind that having several lines, from one house, allows the salesmen to offer 'different' pianos to the buyer. A Baldwin dealership also sold 'Monarch' and 'Ellington' pianos back in the day. Lots of names, but solid pianos every one. Hamilton, too! "You don't like the Baldwin? Here's a nice Ellington for you! Try this." Get it? Marketing strategies and salesmanship.

Most of the time; the internal works, of the actions and keys, would be identical or similiar, but the cabinetry would be VERY different. Howards from the 30's-60's were a fine, solid, and very 'Baldwin-like' piano...just a plainer cabinet generally.

Modern makers are not building different names in the same factory, as many of those old Baldwin names, and the Essex/Boston comparison does not really work the same way. The modern 'second line' is coming from a different country completely! The components and designs are totally different, the pianos have little in common but the name. Baldwin was in fact one of the first to move 'second-line' pianos out of the US...when they started building a 'Howard' out of the Kawai factory in Japan.

So...the age matters when looking at 'second-line'. Were the pianos coming from the same stock, parts, woods, and hands of the same craftsmen? Or different factories/same country? Or are they from different factories in different parts of the globe, as much more common today?

Your piano, Baldwin/Howard? Without some idea of the age of the piano, there is no telling what the quality level is. The older Howards were as solid as any Baldwin of the day, the Kawai Howards are solid and dependable, too. But, newer than that? I'd have to check a Buyer's Guide to find out what country they were being made in! Korea? Indonesia? Japan? Taiwan? Sherpas from Mongolia? It can be bewildering to find out where pianos are coming from these days. (sigh)

Hope that helps,
(probably adding to the confusion)
I remain,

#2046258 - 03/10/13 11:28 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Howards in the old days were several steps down from Baldwins, and a step down from Hamilton, which was their #2 line. There are other Baldwin nameplates that were the equivalent of Howard, but they were never higher than #3 in quality, and eventually became the bargain brand, the equivalent of Whitney for Kimball.

#2046299 - 03/11/13 01:52 AM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: beethoven986]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Ok thanks.

#2046303 - 03/11/13 01:58 AM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
2002 after mid summer was about it for US made Baldwin Grands at least at the Conover Arkansas factory. I had one that was probably stuck on the line supposedly made in 2003 but the action clearly said made in Mexico.

I think everything is made in China now including my dinner.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2047815 - 03/13/13 06:45 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: TunerJeff]
bob1957 Offline

Originally Posted By: TunerJeff
Keep in mind that having several lines, from one house, allows the salesmen to offer 'different' pianos to the buyer. A Baldwin dealership also sold 'Monarch' and 'Ellington' pianos back in the day. Lots of names, but solid pianos every one. Hamilton, too! "You don't like the Baldwin? Here's a nice Ellington for you! Try this." Get it? Marketing strategies and salesmanship.

Most of the time; the internal works, of the actions and keys, would be identical or similiar, but the cabinetry would be VERY different. Howards from the 30's-60's were a fine, solid, and very 'Baldwin-like' piano...just a plainer cabinet generally.

Modern makers are not building different names in the same factory, as many of those old Baldwin names, and the Essex/Boston comparison does not really work the same way. The modern 'second line' is coming from a different country completely! The components and designs are totally different, the pianos have little in common but the name. Baldwin was in fact one of the first to move 'second-line' pianos out of the US...when they started building a 'Howard' out of the Kawai factory in Japan.

So...the age matters when looking at 'second-line'. Were the pianos coming from the same stock, parts, woods, and hands of the same craftsmen? Or different factories/same country? Or are they from different factories in different parts of the globe, as much more common today?

Your piano, Baldwin/Howard? Without some idea of the age of the piano, there is no telling what the quality level is. The older Howards were as solid as any Baldwin of the day, the Kawai Howards are solid and dependable, too. But, newer than that? I'd have to check a Buyer's Guide to find out what country they were being made in! Korea? Indonesia? Japan? Taiwan? Sherpas from Mongolia? It can be bewildering to find out where pianos are coming from these days. (sigh)

Hope that helps,
(probably adding to the confusion)
I remain,

Ok, the owner thinks it's age to be around the 1930's however from what I've been able to find shows the age between 1910 and 1915 according to the serial number. Then again I'd have to sort of agree with the owner because of the case styling compared to others around the 1930's. (not sure if they changed this at all through the years or not)

Baldwin's serials are no where within range under any year but the Howard serials say 1910-1915. The condition as it looks in pictures seems to be in excellent to new condition possibly even flawless. orignal ivories completly intact with no chips and no discoloration but I just didnt know about the quality of the instrument.
Then again, at the price I can pick it up for I could most likely make more off from it as scrap iron firewood if it didn't play well smile

#2244501 - 03/10/14 10:58 PM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: TunerJeff]
vbayerl Offline

Hi,

several posts speak of newer or older... what does that mean? are their dates? I am struggling to figure out the age of mine, what kind of wood made with, what quality? The top imprint number is 191814 with another # under the wood top digits: 5159 2. the sound board is sound board: 214406

thanks

#2244619 - 03/11/14 07:54 AM Re: Howard/Baldwin [Re: bob1957]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have an older Howard baby grand from 1969 that was made by Kawai... it is basically a Kawai model 550/KG2 (5'10"). Maybe not as good as a real Baldwin, but not bad either. It has a better tone than the first baby grand I had... the Tokai G180 (5'10"); the Tokai was not a bad piano but the Howard is more mellow/warm sounding.

I've come to the conclusion that what matters most is how a piano sounds and plays... that is what determines the quality in my book. smile

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1773 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252750 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission