2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 202 of 540 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Andy - what satisfaction! Will we hear this at the May recital?

I think I had previously promised (to you, because you do keep asking!) August. But, you know what, there is a chance for May ... perhaps an outside one, but a chance ...

I keep asking because lately my memory stinks!! Sorry to be a pest, but I'm really happy to hear that we may get to hear it earlier than expected! I'll try not to repeat the question for a few weeks at least smile

Ragdoll.....As you say, there isn't a rush or a deadline. What you will probably find is that learning this pattern now, even if it is in a somewhat simplified form, will hold you in good stead when you move on to a more elaborate version. I found this when I worked on a simple version of a Clementi sonatina-- I still haven't "officially" studied the piece - but through working very hard to figure out the fingerings and going over and over them very slowly, I find that now when I work at reading through the original version it goes remarkably smoothly!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Ron - there is Italian and there are dialects. Most people speak Italian, some (increasingly fewer) speak both, and some very old folks only speak dialect.
As far as pronouncing Italian correctly goes, it is very much like English in the US or the UK --- it does vary somewhat from region to region. Those from Tuscany will tell you that their Italian is THE Italian because of Dante Alighieri's 12th century writings in the vernacular "setting the stage" for modern Italian.
Where Torquenale comes from the "r" is generally very very soft instead of a harder "rrrrrrrr" growly R you find in other parts of Italy. Where I live the vowel "e" (pronounced "eh") is stretched out into more of an "ay". It is quite fascinating to figure out where folks are from without asking, just listening.

Casinitaly is right, there are local differences in the pronunciation of Italian, and not only: for example in northern Italy we use the past forms in a not completely proper way. In Tuscany people may have a strong aspirated "c", that is not correct.
By the way, after Dante Alighieri the second step in establishing a common language in Italy has been the great novel "I promessi sposi", written in the 19th century by Alessandro Manzoni (ho was from Milan).
Ron, when you need help...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
AOTW, perhaps: I think I'm ready to learn Chopin's Prelude in Db major Op. 28 No. 15 (a.k.a. the raindrop prelude). Among other things, I seem to have developed the skill to play the raindrops appropriately softly and smoothly. Also playing through Op. 28 No. 4 in E minor I discovered that I could do the same with the LH chords: make them appropriately soft and smooth.

I didn't do any particular exercises to get to this point; I've been recently paying more attention to listening for appropriate balance, and this seems to have just emerged.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 03/13/13 06:45 PM. Reason: correct opus number

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by torquenale

Ron - there is Italian and there are dialects....It is quite fascinating to figure out where folks are from without asking, just listening.

Casinitaly is right, there are local differences in the pronunciation of Italian, ...Ron, when you need help...

I sure appreciate it. Right now, no serious help. I can't help but wonder though if Lara Fabian's Caruso is natural. Seems like she prounounces the words strongly. While Pavarotti and Andre Bocelli both seem to not prounounce as strongly. I know they're native Italian. They do sound more natural. I think a whole lot of Andre.

My grandparents were from Italy. Grandfather from Sicily. Grandmother from Northern Italy. It was very confusing visiting as a child in their house. The words would be Italian one second, English the next. Going back and forth constantly. Yes, it was known that the two of them had to work in communicating at first. Their dialects were very different. My mother spoke Italian fluently. She was born and raised in Syracuse NY. Interesting she could always tell what spanish speaking people were talking about. Sometimes I would ask. She would tell me I don't want to know. With a frown.
I'll see on the singing. Have a gift. Trying to develop it to the point of Opera. Takes years. I truly admire Andre Bocelli's singing.

EDIT: I hope in the future. I might be able to extend the definition a little and refer to you two as; My Paisan's.

Last edited by rnaple; 03/14/13 06:44 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll.....As you say, there isn't a rush or a deadline. What you will probably find is that learning this pattern now, even if it is in a somewhat simplified form, will hold you in good stead when you move on to a more elaborate version.

Thanks Cas, I was thinking the same thing, glad to see I was right about that. Also you were right about there being sooo many versions of this piece about. I have found several, some good and then some not so good as far as my attempting them goes.

The version Allard (think it was him) posted of David Lanz I could listen to for an hour or three. Oh wait... I HAVE listened to it that long blush

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
T
T
Hi Ragdoll, I learned another version of Canon in D. i hope you'll listen to all the variations first... and picked the one you like the most. i just lose all motivation to learn another variation of the first song i learn in piano. Good luck! it's a great song!

My AotW, is to be able to read and play slowly debussy's clair de lunes. I hope in another month it'll sound much smoother compared to now and that i can play from memory.

-TY-
Learning since: Sept 2012
Playing..
Canon in D, Pachebel
Marriage D Amour, Richard Clayderman

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ty.beginner
Hi Ragdoll, I learned another version of Canon in D...

You people caused me to listen to this. It's an absolutely beautiful melody! I can understand why there are many versions. It is something I can obsess over. I look forward...

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
This week, I googled Mozart's first-ever composition (K. 1a) and committed the piece to memory. It is by no means difficult or demanding - it's 10 bars in length and spans roughly 25 seconds.

I just thought it would be cool to say to a friend, colleague, etc., "Have you ever heard Mozart's very first composition when he was only four years old?"

Who can turn that down?

Also this week, I finally can play Liszt's "Consolation No. 3, S. 172" all the way through without making a mistake.

Someone please pat me on the back! smile

Last edited by maestro57; 03/14/13 07:44 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go maestro57!
smile

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maestro57
Also this week, I finally can play Liszt's "Consolation No. 3, S. 172" all the way through without making a mistake.

Someone please pat me on the back! smile

I will pat you on the back! This a a gorgeous piece. I just had it added to my assigned list. I absolutely love it!

I had an impromptu performance with my new piano last night. Our upstairs neighbor was instrumental in our deciding to go ahead with purchasing the grand. She encouraged me to get it and said she really enjoyed hearing me practicing . wow So we had her over for Prosecco and piano. I didn't bomb too badly. I played Chopin Waltz in C# minor and the first 1/2 of the Arabesque. Fortunately the Prosecco made the mistakes less noticeable.

I don't have a specific AOTW this week, just steady progress. The Arabesque is learned and all memorized except the last page, the Invention is memorized and up to speed but the left hand trill is too slow, and I am starting to record the Nocturne. I still have a couple of spots in the Nocture that are not to my teacher's (or my) satisfaction. But, it is close enough that I am starting to look at the next piece. Liszt, here I come! laugh

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Maestro57, that is so cool! I just looked it up on IMSLP & downloaded a copy for myself, & just tried out the first couple of bars. It looks doable; I'll take it with me to my lesson today & ask my teacher if he thinks I'm ready to take on a composition by a 5-year-old.

On the subject of 5-year-olds, yet another prodigy from West Vancouver is scheduled to perform @ Carnegie Hall, among other places. He's the 2nd 5-year-old in less than a year from the same area. None of the news reports mention whether they both have the same teacher but if so, his/her rates will skyrocket.)

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
" all the way through without making a mistake."

Now then. Who else was listening? heh heh . . . "two or more witnesses . . ."

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
Well, I hesitated to post anything because my AoTW is not as impressive as most here are.
But for me it is an achievement- I am perfecting a few pieces. The reason this is such a big step is that I've spent my eight years on the piano not practicing or not understanding how to practice.
I read a really helpful article on the site http://www.musicalfossils.com/. I was hoping that would be a link but it doesn't seem to be. It was like it was written for me- I wanted a 'secret' or 'easy' way to learn but there just isn't one.
I have come to really believe the adage that if it were easy everyone would play piano. And I am enjoying the process.

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KBS1607
I read a really helpful article on the site http://www.musicalfossils.com/. I was hoping that would be a link but it doesn't seem to be. It was like it was written for me- I wanted a 'secret' or 'easy' way to learn but there just isn't one.

I discovered this site some time ago, and it is gold. The practice method recommendations were very helpful to me. Discovering the site is an AOTW!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It hasn't been fully a week yet (not even close), but I have two mini-AOTW's nonetheless.

One, I went to my piano lesson on Wednesday, even though I had nothing new to play. For me, at that moment, it was the mother of all AOTW's. I know that if I had convinced myself not to go to that particular lesson, I may never have gone back -- and then my piano progress would have slid into a painfully slow crawl.

Two, I just recorded and uploaded my first Piano Bar submission, partly in response to the fact that casinitaly and joyoussong both seem to be working on the same piece. It is Händel's Impertinence, which I played for my December in-class recital.

Originally Posted by HalfStep
I spent the last hour setting up an album to finally upload piano pics!

Thanks for the pictures! And thanks for taking the time to figure out how to upload them, too. /me adds the making of an album of piano pictures to her 'to do' list, because surely people will be clamoring for them shortly.

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Needless to say, I am very excited! I purchased it for the same price that I sold my M&H BB for in the US, so it is like an even swap. I have missed having a grand, so this is a dream come true for me! Now, if I can just play well enough to justify it!

Needless to say, indeed laugh. And I'm sure now that you have a grand again, you'll be playing it so much that your skill level will justify having it in no time! Besides, as a relative n00b who now owns a grand, too, I think everyone should get to play one, even (perhaps especially) the true beginner!

Originally Posted by torquenale
... I agreed for the duet, but I'm not sure whether accept to perform a solo piece in a children recital (piano and violin, with both my children involved). As far as I know, I would be the only adult, and to play in front of families who only want to listen to their children is funny. It could be helpful to try and play in public, I don't know yet.

Take the opportunity. Nothing makes you 'practice until perfect' like knowing that you'll be playing in front of a live audience of more than one shortly. And nobody will care, except for you, that it's actually a children's recital; you might even inspire some of the parents there to take up piano for themselves!

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
My AOTW is getting more into the sight reading exercises in Hannah Smith's Book using both hands concurrently.

That is an achievement I will bow down to! I am kind of indecisive about this one. I tell my teacher I want to sight read better, but then, I notice, when I'm actually playing, I sometimes don't even bother getting the score out. I like playing without a score, and am not *really* properly motivated to learn to play with it.

had, however, done some analysis of it and had focused on a few tricky spots.

Sincere congratulations on the analysis, and focused practice based upon it. This is another achievement I will bow down to because I don't do nearly enough of it myself.

Originally Posted by joyoussong
I've also been working on a piece called Impertinence, by Handel.

Hey! I played that piece at my December in-class recital! I just uploaded it to SoundCloud and posted it on the March Piano Bar thread, here -- because of your comment, and to show off my Boston (which does badly need to be tuned, now).

Chopin Nocturne in Eb is memorized.

Fantastic! (Also: I *really* need to get started on my chosen 'first' Chopin Nocturne -- number 19 -- but I got distracted by a Chopin Waltz, which I heard on the radio by accident recently, and then promptly downloaded from IMSLP).

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
AOTW, perhaps: I think I'm ready to learn Chopin's Prelude in Db major Op. 28 No. 15 (a.k.a. the raindrop prelude).

That's a great place to be, I think. And you got there the old-fashioned way: by putting in the exercise until you could do it in your sleep. Nice!

Originally Posted by ty.beginner
My AotW, is to be able to read and play slowly debussy's clair de lunes.

That's not an easy piece by any means. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by maestro57
I just thought it would be cool to say to a friend, colleague, etc., "Have you ever heard Mozart's very first composition when he was only four years old?"

Cool! You just inspired me to follow your example!

Originally Posted by KBS1607
I wanted a 'secret' or 'easy' way to learn but there just isn't one.

This may be the single most important realization you will ever have in the course of your piano learning years. Which makes it a big achievement, indeed!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
Started the birgmuller opus 100 number 5... 3 days ago and can play it smoothly all the way through with now working on dynamics.... shocked how quick this has sunk in.... seems to be a welcome experience and a change from the slog of daily progress which is habitually very mich slower!!

Bought a new upright piano. That's my AOTW!! Seriously, 1st and 2nd inversions clicked with me today. I don't know why they haven't in the past, but today they did. smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a week, my favorite AOTW is finding this lovely redition of DBTSGs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDa_aZyoR0. I have found several scores for it and have yet to decide which to attempt, the simpler ones are much too simple.

Decided to drop out of the spring recital for various reasons. My teacher will not be pleased I'm sure. <shrug>

Back burnered the Canon for a bit (not giving it up though) as it was taking my time and focus away from my other musical studies too much. I'll get back to it in a couple weeks, I made remarkable progress on it so far.

I wanted to post something in the March piano bar... But, EPIC FAIL after 12 straight takes to get a good recording of a piece I've played dozens of times. Arrgg, cursing that red-light. Maybe I'll try for April grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by heathermphotog
Bought a new upright piano. That's my AOTW!! Seriously, 1st and 2nd inversions clicked with me today. I don't know why they haven't in the past, but today they did. smile

Awesome x 2! In ABF tradition, pictures or you didn't really buy it ... wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by heathermphotog

Awesome x 2! In ABF tradition, pictures or you didn't really buy it ... wink

+1
And anyway, your user id indicates that you might already know something about taking a picture!

My AOTW, or more like miracle of the week is that I played one piece better at my lesson than I do normally. What's up with that?

Learner
Page 202 of 540 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission