Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2047875 - 03/13/13 09:01 PM Kawai K-8 Price Opinions
Clark Stallings Offline

Loc: United States
Howdy folks, I have a pricing question. I would like to buy a new Kawai K-8. As you probably know, not many dealers keep this model in stock. I am in Florida and have found a dealer who will sell me one for $10245 not including delivery or tax. What do y'all think about this price? Also, the instrument would have to be ordered from Kawai. Seeing as I haven't played it (but I have played a K-3), am I being unreasonable in asking that the dealer have it delivered to the showroom so that I can play and inspect it before I pay for it? He says he can't do that because if he doesn't sell me the instrument after ordering it, Kawai will not take it back and that buyers for that model are few and far between. I can certainly appreciate his concern, but I also have trouble paying for such a big ticket item sight unseen. One wouldn't not test drive a car before buying right? Kawai also wants to sell the instrument, so I've called them and explained my concerns to see if they will work with the dealer on this. Thoughts?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2047877 - 03/13/13 09:07 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Clark - Welcome to Piano World!

It's a very good price and a difficult situation. My suggestion is that you send a PM to KawaiDon. He is a frequent poster here and is a big dog with Kawai USA. He might have some ideas to keep everyone happy.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2047883 - 03/13/13 09:32 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Clark Stallings Offline

Thanks for the information Marty!

#2047938 - 03/13/13 11:27 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
You might have to cash in your frequent-flier miles to travel to a town that has a more accommodating dealer, or one who carries the model as floor stock. Surely in all of Florida (or some close neighbor) there has to be a K-8. Calling the head US office to find one (or to see if something can be worked out) is probably a good idea.

I think I've seen this model at Carnes in San Jose, or maybe it was a K-6. I think playing a K-3 is only going to offer you a very sketchy idea of what to expect from their top-of-the-line model, but I think you are on the right track in wanting to play the same piano you are going to take home (down to the same serial number and service history).

"...He says he can't do that because if he doesn't sell me the instrument after ordering it, Kawai will not take it back..."

Maybe there's some truth to this, but it may be less than the statement implies. Units do move from one dealer to another in some circumstances. Taking a deposit as earnest-money to secure an order is customary, but in any case, if you did not like the piano for some reason, the dealer would take it back. In might be in terms of arranging a swap for some other model, or it could involve charges for moving, restocking, etc. These are standard retail practices. If you had ordered a special finish (say, white elephant, zebra, shocking pink, some airbrushed atrocity such as Gibson was putting on defenseless Chinese Kimballs, or even a fancy veneer) it would be another story. On the other hand, without trying to find out, who knows if a fellow seller has this model on the floor and would like to move it? There is an advantage to you in having the local dealer handle service and warranty issues, if they arise.

Anyway, he doesn't want to take the chance, and I think you will have to go elsewhere... somewhere, where the seller doesn't act like he is doing you a favor. Or maybe I'm reading the wrong impression into this; maybe it's just a stark statement of the financial facts-of-life in recessionary times. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I hope you let us know how you like the piano, and how it works out.

#2048067 - 03/14/13 07:38 AM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
My impressions were that the K3 is appreciably different to a K8. A K6, though, would give a fairly close comparison. A couple of years ago, when I was initially looking for an upright, I would have left the K3 where it was, but the K6 & K8 were on my short-list.

#2048089 - 03/14/13 08:40 AM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
If you are looking for an excuse to travel, Kim's in Garden Grove, CA has a K-8 and a K-6 in stock.

I would not use the K-3 to evaluate the possibilities of the K-8. The K-5 and upwards are on another level of touch and tone above the K-3.

#2048095 - 03/14/13 08:55 AM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Radio.Octave Offline

I think the K6 is extremely similar to the K8. You might want to check one of those out, too, and save yourself a few bucks. The K6 is a really nice upright. I've never seen nor played a K8.

#2048335 - 03/14/13 05:34 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
I wouldnt say the k5 is like the k8, more like the k3.... has the same size harp with a bigger box and acoustic openings.... k6 and upwards are similar...

#2048357 - 03/14/13 06:16 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: UK Paul UK]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: UK Paul UK
I wouldnt say the k5 is like the k8, more like the k3.... has the same size harp with a bigger box and acoustic openings.... k6 and upwards are similar...
That's not a very accurate description of the differences between them. The pricing increases +25% because of differences at virtually every level of construction. The K5 & K6 are far more similar in construction and materials, but noting the obvious size difference.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2048374 - 03/14/13 07:02 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
imo K3,K5,K6 and K8 are all excellent choices and the upgrade worth every penny.
K3 has the ideal sweet spot at 5k cost you get everything you need. Hence the most popular model.
K5 has a signifcant better tone (to my ears) and many say better touch. I think the inside components are different.
K6 is more a bigger size K5, of course 3 inch is worth the upgrade.
if you want spent a little more here it is K8.

#2048502 - 03/15/13 01:46 AM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
I sympathize with the dealer here. I think if your after a K8 you wont have any worries. It's not like your going to play the K8 and go "I changed my mind and will take that K3 instead!". When I was shopping for my K8 the first two dealers didn't stock for the same reasons. The 3rd dealer did however and I ended up not going with. The dealer I went with drop shipped directly from Kawai so I never even saw/played it until it was in my home! There were no problems, actually one scratch on the cabinetry I noticed and a phone call to the dealer quickly resolved/fixed within a week.

With a good dealer and Kawai behind their products I don't see any concern in this instance. Unless you're contemplating a K8 vs. K6 vs. K5 comparison which is a totally different situation.

#2048517 - 03/15/13 02:20 AM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: PianoWorksATL]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Originally Posted By: UK Paul UK
That's not a very accurate description of the differences between them. The pricing increases +25% because of differences at virtually every level of construction. The K5 & K6 are far more similar in construction and materials, but noting the obvious size difference.

Fair point... i still like to pretend mines essentially a k5 without the 19" rims and fluffy dice though ... :-)

#2048867 - 03/15/13 08:25 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Clark Stallings Offline

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I've purchased a K8 locally and look forward to having it delivered. I was very close to purchasing from Forte Piano Gallery in Ocala, about eighty miles away from me, had a local dealer not swooped in at the eleventh hour with a way for me to get the instrument I wanted. Even though I ended up going with a dealer closer to home, I applaud Nancy of Forte for being willing to allow me to test drive the piano in the store, despite it being a special order. Ultimately, it did not come to this, but until today, she'd been the only dealer willing to make this sort of arrangement for me. Good old fashioned customer service is still alive.

#2048880 - 03/15/13 08:51 PM Re: Kawai K-8 Price Opinions [Re: Clark Stallings]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Congratulations. I think you'll enjoy it. Find a good technician, and don't forget the pictures.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (aesop, accordeur, A Guy, ajames, 38 invisible), 1153 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157153 Topics
2308037 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
10 minutes 0 seconds ago
No one home?
by ScottM
Today at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Today at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
Today at 06:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission