Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2047921 - 03/13/13 10:54 PM Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano.
Amos Offline

Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built.

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2047949 - 03/13/13 11:46 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
smokin cursing

#2047961 - 03/14/13 12:00 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Amos
Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built.

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

By all accounts, Yamaha AvantGrand comes closest to a real piano.

#2047967 - 03/14/13 12:25 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yamaha:
AvantGrands
NU1
CLP/CVP Series

Roland:
V-Piano/Grand
FP-7F
RD-700NX
HP Series

Kawai:
CA Series
CS Series
MP-10/6

All of the DPs above fulfill your needs.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2047968 - 03/14/13 12:34 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
We abuse this deceased equine all too often, but what he said ^.

Good luck in your search!

Edited by LesCharles73 (03/14/13 12:35 AM)

#2048005 - 03/14/13 02:03 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I tuned a Yamaha DC6X today, which is a real piano with the capabilities of a digital piano.

#2048026 - 03/14/13 03:28 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: BDB]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: BDB
I tuned a Yamaha DC6X today, which is a real piano with the capabilities of a digital piano.

Not to mention the capabilities of a friggin' pianola too!

If I had an extra forty-thousand euros laying around the house I think I might be tempted to get one of these beauties. The fact that Yamaha keeps building and improving and supporting these very cool products makes me very endeared to the company.

Pity about that Yamaha sound though....

#2048036 - 03/14/13 04:31 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is possible to get a real nice sound out of Yamahas. We had a DC7 that was gorgeous, but unfortunately it was damaged in moving. That was the day I learned that, "Are we glad to see you!" is not what you want to hear when you show up to tune for a show. The CFIIIses have been nice. I am waiting for our CFX.

As long as we have the DC6X, I am hoping that we could have some classes on its capabilities. It has MIDI in and out, recording and playback, and a silent feature, none of which I know how to use, but I can imagine some interesting possibilities, and I am not really into electronic music.

#2048052 - 03/14/13 05:59 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: BDB]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"We had a DC7 that was gorgeous, but unfortunately it was damaged in moving."

Did it travel by air? By DC7? They had their drawbacks . . .

""

#2048060 - 03/14/13 06:47 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Amos

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

You could get a lot of people hot under the collar with this question grin .

But I'll try very hard to be unbiased wink , and just point you in some general directions.
Assuming money is no object, have a look at the Roland V-Piano Grand and the Yamaha AvantGrand N3.

They were designed with different priorities. The Roland V-P Grand (and its stage version the V-Piano) is the only modeled digital piano to date, and it's designed to simulate all the tonal and touch responses of a real grand piano. It also gives the user the ability to customize several parameters to his liking, using any of 30 factory presets (all piano sounds - nothing else), including decay time (=sustain), damping time, hammer hardness, tone color, and soundboard, string, cross-resonances, tuning of individual 'strings', even pedal noise. Most of those parameters are adjustable from -100 to +100, so there's a huge range to fine-tune to the sound and response you want.

The AvantGrand, on the other hand, has its raison-d'ĂȘtre a grand piano action, which is a modified version of that found in a Yamaha grand (not concert grand, though the sounds are sampled from the CF-IIIS, now superseded by the CFX - the latter's sounds can be found on the NU1, which has the same philosophy but using an upright action).

Both have marvellous speaker systems designed to simulate the sounds emanating from a baby grand.

There are several videos of the V-P Grand being played and recorded in a concert hall setting (like for an acoustic grand in a classical concert), like this one: http://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo
For the AG: http://youtu.be/dpHO4lZtmqo
(I borrowed them from PianoZac's thread about V-P Grand v AG, which you might want to have a look at, if you enjoy fisticuffs..... grin)

Edited by bennevis (03/14/13 09:24 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed AG link

#2048062 - 03/14/13 07:04 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: bennevis]
CarloPiano Offline

@Bennevis, did you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKktyeuIs1U for the AG? Your link tells "video not available".

IMHO the V-P Grand sounds way better and richer than the AG. Shame Roland doesn't use real wooden keyboards.

#2048079 - 03/14/13 08:17 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Yamaha has some hybrid pianos with real piano actions built in. (for the cost of a comparable acoustic instrument.)***

Kawai's recent wooden keys actions in their otherwise digital pianos are very real and good actions too, but without the mechanical ballast from the acoustics they cost much less.

***: A good acoustic has not to be new (but in a good state), 50 Ys. are here the best age of a nice Lady.

#2048093 - 03/14/13 08:51 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: CarloPiano]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarloPiano
@Bennevis, did you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKktyeuIs1U for the AG? Your link tells "video not available".

IMHO the V-P Grand sounds way better and richer than the AG. Shame Roland doesn't use real wooden keyboards.

Sorry - fixed that link now: it's probably a better comparison with the V-P Grand video than the Katsaris one, because it's been recorded in what looks like a hall.

I've played the V-Piano Grand in a real (classical) concert hall, and (after a little judicious tweaking of its sustain and tone colour parameters) its resemblance to a real concert grand in its sound and response to touch and articulation and dynamics was quite uncanny. It really did feel like there was nothing one couldn't do on it that one could on a 9ft grand.

Yamaha never promoted their AGs in a series of classical concerts around the world like Roland did with the V-P Grand (unmiked and unamplified just like in a normal piano recital), so I have no direct comparison with the N3 in this setting.

#2048099 - 03/14/13 09:01 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Koko Offline

Loc: Israel
Pianoteq + keys with good hammer action + low latency audio interface + high end open back headphones + time to set it all up
AKG k701
Hoffman upright piano

#2048105 - 03/14/13 09:26 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: CarloPiano]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarloPiano

Apologies, it was my mistake when transferring PianoZac's link to this thread - fixed the AvantGrand YouTube video link now.

#2048106 - 03/14/13 09:28 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Koko]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ad nauseam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam

My take:

V - less filling
AG - tastes great

#2048126 - 03/14/13 10:22 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I can't believe anyone responded to this thread. The original question makes no sense. Unless perhaps if you interpret "close" in the subject to mean "closest," which I do not.

#2048157 - 03/14/13 11:29 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I wish you could get an AvantGrand N3 with VI Labs True Keys preinstalled.

#2048209 - 03/14/13 01:33 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: gvfarns]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I can't believe anyone responded to this thread. The original question makes no sense. Unless perhaps if you interpret "close" in the subject to mean "closest," which I do not.

Have you played the AvantGrand?

http://techland.time.com/2013/01/23/mostly-piano-not-pretender-yamahas-avantgrand-n2-a-year-later/

#2048223 - 03/14/13 02:04 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I agree that the AG is a nice machine (I've never played an N3 but I've played several N2's). But the OP popped in and said "Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built." And, I might add, never checked back.

All DP's we talk about here have capabilities of a real piano. That's the answer. None of them have the exact tone, touch, or build of an acoustic. That's the other part of the answer. Further, the OP put essentially zero effort into the thread and hasn't been back since, which makes it seem like it deserves even less effort in answering.

The OP didn't ask "Which DP sounds the most like an acoustic?" or "Which DP has the best touch?" Those are the two questions people are answering.

If you guys want to make an interesting thread out of this, I'm happy to follow it. I'm just surprised anyone bothered, because in my opinion the OP doesn't deserve it.

Edited by gvfarns (03/14/13 02:07 PM)

#2048231 - 03/14/13 02:12 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: gvfarns]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, to some extent, the answer to his question can simply be summed up as either "all of them" or "none of them." But the one that comes closest is, by most accounts, the AG.

#2048251 - 03/14/13 02:58 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: gvfarns]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: gvfarns

+1. It's either a dumb or a naive question. PianoZac gave a reasonable starter, followed by a few more useful contributions with AG's and the V. Let's wait now until the OP has played some of the suggestions for himself, and get out of these useless subjective and meaningless debates.

#2048309 - 03/14/13 04:51 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Yes - Piano Zac gave a perfectly fitting and useful answer. Amos, the OP, could say at some point if he's found a DP he likes out of those suggested.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2048319 - 03/14/13 05:12 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Don't you think you're being a bit harsh? A naive question it may have been, but if someone is naive they it's better to try and educate them rather than give them a hard time.

#2048331 - 03/14/13 05:31 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Well, I don't think a naive question is a bad thing at all, and an answer has been more than adequately provided to the question as asked. Nothing harsh there, but in retrospect "welcome to the forums Amos".

#2048341 - 03/14/13 05:45 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
It is interesting that it took over 3 years after registering on PW for Amos to make his first post...

#2048356 - 03/14/13 06:16 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Well, the best things come to those who wait. wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2048390 - 03/14/13 07:53 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Kawai James]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Well, the best things come to those who wait. wink

Yeah, some rumors about possible Roland FP-8F? grin

#2048464 - 03/14/13 11:40 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: spanishbuddha]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
It was a stupid question for somebody who has been following the forum at all ...let alone lurking for three years. I'm sick of people asking dumb questions or worse making idiotic statements (a certain newbie here comes to mind ...99% of his posts are either stupid questions or idiotic statements) .... if these fools read a bit first they wouldn't have to ask such obvious things.

#2048512 - 03/15/13 02:08 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm sure you could find away of not letting it incense you so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (accordeur, Alex1, AndresD, 31 invisible), 1514 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156076 Topics
2291949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
29 minutes 19 seconds ago
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission