Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
136 registered (ando, anotherscott, accordeur, Anita Potter, AndyJoe, 39 invisible), 1603 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2046978 - 03/12/13 01:03 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Kenny J]
Kenny J Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Best to let the professionals do it. It cost me $85 to have it delivered and setup. No worries. That's what I recommend.

Arabesque No. 1 - Debussy
Dr. Gradus Ad Parnassum - Debussy
Live and Let Die - McCartney
Maple Leaf Rag - Scott Joplin

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2047002 - 03/12/13 01:44 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Kenny J]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Kenny J
Best to let the professionals do it. It cost me $85 to have it delivered and setup. No worries. That's what I recommend.

Word of Wisdom.

When my daughter was a young girl, I used to tell her that my litmus test for whether I would "allow" her to participate in various activities was trying to judge my level of embarrassment and/or humiliation if things went badly and the public would find out that I, as the parent, had "allowed" it.

I would use the same litmus test for something like this. Suppose I had paid $2500 for this musical instrument and then had tried to get it up the stairs on the cheap and had a problem and wrecked it. That would be too embarassing for me to endure. So, I have a professional mover do it. Simple.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2047020 - 03/12/13 02:28 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Kenny J]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
Well, I wasn't planning on doing it by myself. But usually I buy from Thomann, and it would be pretty stupid to order it just to discover there is just no way to get it in my flat :P

This being said, while the C95 is a beautiful piano, in my case it would not be a smart choice. I already have a very good software piano and I can most of the time only listen with a headphone so, since I guess both action are very similar, it's probably a lot smarter for me to get a VPC1. I guess, I was simply very attracted by the beauty of the instrument and the idea of a "real" piano in the room. (to be honest, I was even more in lover with the CS9 and it probably has an even scarier box wink )

Jean-Luc

#2047216 - 03/12/13 07:39 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Jean-Luc]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
I guess, I was simply very attracted by the beauty of the instrument and the idea of a "real" piano in the room. (to be honest, I was even more in lover with the CS9 and it probably has an even scarier box wink )

What about the CS-10? It looks amazing but the price tag must be astronomical too... However, in your case it seems much smarter to go with the VPC1 and to use the software piano that you have already.

Edited by Amaruk (03/12/13 07:39 PM)

#2047230 - 03/12/13 08:13 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Kenny J]
EPW Online   content

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
What about the ES7.

#2047249 - 03/12/13 09:14 PM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: EPW]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: EPW
What about the ES7.

That is what I would vote for.

I would not like the idea of needing to hook into computer software sounds all of the time.

Not to mention that I think the ES7 sound is terrific on its own.

The keybed on the ES7 is also excellent.

If the main attractiveness to the VPC1 is the built-in velocity curves, I would suggest that they main turn out to be mostly hype without any real noticeable value over the velocity curves within the piano software itself.

I may be wrong about that but until I hear convincing testimony, it will remain my position on that.

And, the ES7 has a furniture stand option which, in my opinion, looks better than some sort of X stand or something else and also more stable.

To me, it would be an easy decision between the VPC1 and the ES7.

Edited by dmd (03/12/13 09:18 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2047422 - 03/13/13 02:10 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Jean-Luc]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
Well, I wasn't planning on doing it by myself. But usually I buy from Thomann, and it would be pretty stupid to order it just to discover there is just no way to get it in my flat :P

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de. Advantage was lower price than local dealer plus ability to pay with Amex to get additional warranty coverage and airmiles further reducing the net price paid.

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone. I recruited a neighbor to move the heavy but manageable boxes up two flights of stairs. Actually assembled the thing myself (but I recommend that you have a partner for that as well, 'bout gave myself a hernia). I can imagine that in the tinier, more winding staircases in the centrum that the boxes would have had to have been held more upright, but it would have been possible getting them in through the staircase.

The new Roland HP-507 is an amazing instrument with the PHA-III keyboard & Supernatural sound and new features that make sense like early fortepiano sounds for baroque early classical playing, automatic power off in case you close the lid without powering off first and very easy USB integration to make playing along with your favorite minus 1 tracks a pleasure, etc. etc.

I would not consider buying an RM3 or GF Kaway keyboard from thomann or another online dealer due to the fact that there seems to be a very high chance that you will need maintenance support requiring you to send the instrument back rather than just calling the local dealer and making them deal with the problem. The Roland keyboards seem to be designed to stay aligned and regulated and able to be transported without damage.

#2047440 - 03/13/13 03:01 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: theJourney]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: theJourney

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de.

<snip/>

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone.

<snip/>

I, too, am thinking about ordering the CA-95 from thomann.de, but I was sort of hoping the delivery would be done straight to my flat. smile Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to get hold of a few people willing to flex their muscles for a bit.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2047442 - 03/13/13 03:13 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Clayman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Clayman

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de.

<snip/>

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone.

<snip/>

I, too, am thinking about ordering the CA-95 from thomann.de, but I was sort of hoping the delivery would be done straight to my flat. smile Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to get hold of a few people willing to flex their muscles for a bit.

I wouldn't even consider ordering a CA-95 from thomann.de unless you live on the ground floor with no staircase. It cannot be disassembled and so is as bulky as a real piano. Plus, if and when your maintenance sensitive, transport damaged wooden keyboard doesn't work properly after delivery, you will be responsible for boxing it the whole piano again, strapping it using professional equipment on a shipping pallet, contacting a freight forwarder and sending it back to Germany....

#2047449 - 03/13/13 03:29 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: theJourney]
Clayman Offline

Well, it is bulky but not nearly as heavy as an acoustic upright. I'll have to think about it some more, I guess, but thomann really seems like the best choice since stores that can supply this model are few and far between around here.

Thanks for your insight, theJourney.

#2047454 - 03/13/13 03:50 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Kenny J]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
When you say far, do you mean that Germany is closer to you?
I think that TJ has the reason here, and his is a wise advice. The mere possibility of something going wrong with your CA95 in a 3rd floor with no elevator (in Prague!) is so scary...It's not about being pesimistic, here, but realistic.

#2047458 - 03/13/13 04:04 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: mabraman]
Clayman Offline

Not really closer but the only shop that to me seems trustworthy enough has this model available only upon direct request, most likely when a full order is placed (though I don't have this confirmed yet). Moreover, thomann's 3-year warranty instead of the usual 2-year is a nice plus as well.

I agree that the hassle with transportation from/to Germany is annoying though.

(And for the record, the house I live in does have an elevator, it's just not big enough. frown And to make things worse, it's the 6th floor, not the 3rd. wink )

Edited by Clayman (03/13/13 09:57 AM)

#2047461 - 03/13/13 04:23 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: theJourney]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe

(...)
The new Roland HP-507 is an amazing instrument with the PHA-III keyboard & Supernatural sound and new features that make sense like early fortepiano sounds for baroque early classical playing, automatic power off in case you close the lid without powering off first and very easy USB integration to make playing along with your favorite minus 1 tracks a pleasure, etc. etc.
(...)

The "early" sounds are more of marketing than of real use. Almost any digital piano has a harpsichord sound coming with it, or? Having it packed in a sound group called "early" is not enough to make it sound good. If you switch after playing the standard SN piano sound (which is excellent) to the harpsichord sound, you also have to go in the functions menue and change the KeyOff and and Resonance settings to get it somehow right, what´s really a lot of work for just wanting to change the sound - and it still will not at all become a nicely one to play. It is actually one of the worst I met. There are then a variation of it, with an octave higher sounding harpsichord layered over the harpsichord sound, and something called "A dream-like sound that can sound like a piano or a harpsichord.", which has absolutely nothing to do with an "early" sound, but more with a $20 plastic baby toy from the supermarket. You will stay with one "fortepiano" sound, which is available in 2 more copies with differnt EQ setting. That´s it. Hmmm, I think you can see that I am really disappointment of this "early" marketing trick. I would wish that all sales agents who intent to do a fair-minded job to their customer would clarify this to their customers.
Nevertheless, although being much disappointed about any 'extras', I love my HP-505 for its excellent keybed and primary piano sound. If you just search for such basic digital piano functionality, then it is unbeatable.

Edited by Marco M (03/14/13 08:34 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling mistakes
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2047481 - 03/13/13 06:20 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Marco M]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marco M
Almost any digital piano has a harpischord sound coming with it, or?

The Roland HP-507 has two different harpsichords and as a key differentiator: four different fortepianos. I am not familiar with any other digital piano in this class that includes fortepianos.

I have played them in a store and find them very convincing for playing Haydn and even Schubert, for example. I very much wish that they were included on my HP-307.

#2048075 - 03/14/13 08:09 AM Re: A review of the Kawai CA95 [Re: Marco M]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Marco M

The "early" sounds are more of marketing than of real use...

I just received some interesting, and especially very reliable information on the 'early' sounds, and therefore have to admit that my above statement might not reflect the situation properly. I might have some problems with my ears or with the sound settings on my DP, because the harpsichord sound 'should be' a really good one as it is based on the ROLAND C-30 digital harpsichord sound. I will carefully check my settings in my HP-505 once more, especially for getting rid of that very annoying, loud 'iiuuuopp' sound which often appears upon releasing a key and which I so far did not find to be controllable by the way I touch the keys.

Edited by Marco M (03/14/13 08:35 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling mistakes
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Magic Fakebook
by dlovull1
12/21/14 11:31 AM
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
12/21/14 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160034 Topics
2350144 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission