Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1634614 - 03/06/11 02:22 AM What are the best method book for adult beginner?
thelullaby99 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Pardon if there is similar topic already existing!

I'm looking for book teaching piano for adult beginner, self teaching. I went around Amazon and the responses for Alfred's Adult Basic are not very good, but some recommended Thompson's. My goal is to play classical pieces well, of course not too advanced but I don't want to learn 'shortcut' methods. I want to learn the proper methods.

Suggestions are highly appreciated!

Sincerely,
thelullaby99

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1634615 - 03/06/11 02:26 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Lord Akela Offline

Loc: Philippines
Alfred's Adult Basic is actually highly recommended here. I'm a beginner and I found it to be excellent.

#1634621 - 03/06/11 02:33 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Lord Akela]
thelullaby99 Offline

Do you mean Adult Basic Adult or All-in-one Course? The only one I'm seeing around here is All-in-one. Are they the same?

#1634676 - 03/06/11 06:06 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

They are essentially the same.

I recommend the All-in-One over the Basic, however.

It is a good series for self-teaching.

Others include Bastien, Faber's Piano Adventures, Hal Leonard: all in adult versions, as well as the 'childrens' series (not that they are any easier! same material, different presentation).

There are also children methods: Music Tree (the one I use to teach, but does require a teacher pretty much), Piano Town, Alfred's Premier (stay away from the basic library!)...

So many really. And not a single one of them is 'the best.'

It depends on the student and what they want to learn, and how much they're willing to spend. Each method has its strengths.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1634723 - 03/06/11 08:23 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
cunparis Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Originally Posted By: thelullaby99
Do you mean Adult Basic Adult or All-in-one Course? The only one I'm seeing around here is All-in-one. Are they the same?

I used Alfred's and highly recommend it but I haven't tried others. The good thing about Alfred's is there are threads here for each level so you can get some support/help/feedback. There are also youtube videos for most of the pieces so you can hear how it's supposed to sound and see it played. that was a help for me.

#1634807 - 03/06/11 11:29 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If your being self taught, Alfred's all in one is the best in my opinion. There's really no best method I've come to realize. It's all one mans opinion from another and they all pretty much teach the same thing minus the repertoire.

#1634884 - 03/06/11 01:45 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Marvelle Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, OR
Another one to check out is Fundamental Keys by Rachel Jimenez. I'm very much a newbie, and have been using it for about a month and so far I feel like I'm making progress. You order the book through Lulu, and there's a web site with videos you can purchase that clarify things well.

#1635030 - 03/06/11 04:44 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
thelullaby99 Offline

Thanks everyone, I have thought about which books to use and decided to go with Alfred's All-in-one book level 1.

Marvelle: Thanks for the recommendation! I read your e-mail and was glad that you took the time to respond. However the book in question is not available in Amazon (my preferred online store) and I don't want to use video lessons for many reasons. Once again, thanks!

#1635046 - 03/06/11 05:08 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Marvelle Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, OR
You're welcome. The popularity of Alfred's with so many folks here indicate you made a good choice. Best of luck!

#1635207 - 03/06/11 08:54 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Baroque Style Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I use "The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano" by Carl Humphries, plus Hanon as method book. You might want to read the reviews on Amazon, where people are comparing it with Alfred's all-in-one.

#1635212 - 03/06/11 08:56 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Baroque Style]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MandarinTree
I use "The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano" by Carl Humphries, plus Hanon as method book. You might want to read the reviews on Amazon, where people are comparing it with Alfred's all-in-one.

I actually would not recommend this. The Piano Handbook is great, but it is NOT an instructional book - more like a reference or quick summary.

Hanon is also not a method, but a series of finger exercises.

#1635268 - 03/06/11 10:19 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: ll]
Baroque Style Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: ll

I actually would not recommend this. The Piano Handbook is great, but it is NOT an instructional book - more like a reference or quick summary.

Would Alfred's all-in-one be good method book, or you recommend any other books? cheers,

#1635609 - 03/07/11 11:50 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
thelullaby99 Offline

Guys, I'm steering myself into doing ABRSM exam pieces according to grade. Like, I'll 'study' the pieces from grade 1 etc....by buying the music sheets. Good idea?

#1635703 - 03/07/11 02:02 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I'm just a beginner myself, so I don't feel qualified to make claims about the best, great, or even good. And I'm still in the early stages with my method book, so again, I don't know how good it is.

But my method book is software from eMedia. It seems like a logical step in the progression of teaching (especially self-teaching) methods. Books and videos offer zero feedback. But, thanks to MIDI, this software can point out what I did wrong.

It still cannot monitor my posture and is not able to measure dynamics like ppp-fff, so I plan on finding a teacher when I have the cash.

#1635720 - 03/07/11 02:18 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: cheechako]
Cobra1365 Offline

Cheechako: I also have eMedia software. It is actually pretty good. My only two observations so far.

1) all the books/learning material I have been using previous had me learning with teh left hand one octave lower. This program has you starting with Middle C with both hands...sort of had to "unlearn" everything to make it feel right.

2) If the music score is more than one page, the program advances to the next page too fast. If you haven't read ahead by two or three measures, it advances and you are stuck.

#1635727 - 03/07/11 02:22 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
thelullaby99 Offline

Cheesako and Cobra: does this software require hooking up with a digital piano? I also want some feedback if possible, but my practice piano is an acoustic.

#1635754 - 03/07/11 02:53 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Cobra1365 Offline

Cheesako and Cobra: does this software require hooking up with a digital piano? I also want some feedback if possible, but my practice piano is an acoustic.

Yes, unfortunately, it requires a USB hook up (digital Piano/Keyboard). Sorry.

#1635781 - 03/07/11 03:33 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Cobra1365]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
The version I have will let you use a mic to monitor your playing. However, since that is not a direct connection, I have no idea of the accuracy. I've never tested it, of course - I have no need for that feature.

To be honest, without the MIDI feedback, I would go with one of the popular method books. While popular doesn't equal instant feedback, it increases the odds that you can get feedback, advice, and tips from the forums, etc.

#1635799 - 03/07/11 03:48 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: ll]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ll

I'm not a teacher but I wouldn't either. It's a handbook.

#1635807 - 03/07/11 03:54 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Would Alfred's all-in-one be good method book, or you recommend any other books? cheers,

Yes, AIO would be a good book, but as I mentioned earlier, any book will do, really.

Guys, I'm steering myself into doing ABRSM exam pieces according to grade. Like, I'll 'study' the pieces from grade 1 etc....by buying the music sheets. Good idea?

No, that's actually not a good idea. The ABRSM grade pieces do not give enough preparation for the next level - the jumps are too steep. Not to mention, Grade 1 in ABRSM assumes that the student has been studying for several years.

I would suggest a book of simple classics instead, or maybe a repertoire series. That will be far more beneficial and logical.

#1635825 - 03/07/11 04:14 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I'd advise accompanying Alfred's with an preparatory level book of traditional classical teaching literature, like the Keith Snell Piano Repertiore series from Kjos or the Festival Collection by Helen Marlais from FJH.

I liked these series myself because I could listen to their CDs and choose to learn & polish the pieces I most enjoyed listening to. While Alfred's is full of chord-y gooness (very handy to learn), the classical stuff seemed much better to me for learning finger independence.

But looking back at my learning process (I used just the classical stuff at first), I think I would have done better to use a judicious mixture of that with a structured method like Alfred's. At the time, I didn't find the Alfred's tunes inspiring enough to compel me to the piano, but when I went back and started using them for sight reading practice, I found them very, um, nutritious.

At the time, I didn't have the mental concept for the "weekly throw-away" piece, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd use the Alfred's pieces for that, and use the baby classical teaching pieces which caught my ear and circled enjoyably in my head as my selections to polish.

neglected piano blog

#1635837 - 03/07/11 04:29 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: tangleweeds]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
I'd advise accompanying Alfred's with an preparatory level book of traditional classical teaching literature, like the Keith Snell Piano Repertiore series from Kjos or the Festival Collection by Helen Marlais from FJH.

At the time, I didn't have the mental concept for the "weekly throw-away" piece, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd use the Alfred's pieces for that, and use the baby classical teaching pieces which caught my ear and circled enjoyably in my head as my selections to polish.

I'd suggest holding off on the early repertoire until about page 100-110 for the classical repertoire or supplemental pieces. The thing about Alfred is, they aren't really pieces you want to polish. You just want to learn the theory and technique (and get a gradual piece to work on).

As for throw-away pieces, I don't think they hold any value until you are at a bit higher of a level: out of the method books, for instance.

#1635931 - 03/07/11 06:25 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: ll]
thelullaby99 Offline

Thanks tangleweed!
II: when is the best time to start the repertoire? you mention '...after about 100-110 from classical repertoire/supplemental'. does it mean until after I master Alfred's?

#1635939 - 03/07/11 06:31 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks tangleweed!
II: when is the best time to start the repertoire? you mention '...after about 100-110 from classical repertoire/supplemental'. does it mean until after I master Alfred's?

Typically teachers don't start students on repertoire until they complete a few levels of a method series. I personally start adults sooner rather than later because I feel they are better equipped (less coordination issues, more developed brain, etc) to start it after they learn the fundamentals.

If you really want another method that will dive straight into classical music, Keith Snell also has a 'Beginning Piano' series:

http://kjos.com/sub_section.php?division=5&series=248

Completing that would prepare one for the prep level of the same series. I happen to like it very much. Otherwise, yes, around page 100 or so of Alfred is when I think an adult could handle beginning classical music.

Edit: by the way, for those of you afraid of key signatures (!), the Multi-key Reading book is an excellent supplement to any method.

Edit 2: The Beginning Piano series can also be used right from the beginning of the Alfred's if you want supplemental material, or by itself as its own method!

Edited by ll (03/07/11 06:35 PM)

#1636238 - 03/08/11 01:17 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: tangleweeds]
cunparis Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds

I liked these series myself because I could listen to their CDs and choose to learn & polish the pieces I most enjoyed listening to. While Alfred's is full of chord-y gooness (very handy to learn), the classical stuff seemed much better to me for learning finger independence.

This is precisely where I ended up in my "After Alfred's Level 1 - Am I ready for a repertoire" thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1636074/1.html

Now that I'm in Snell's preparatory classical book, I see that it has much more finger independence than Alfred's. In Alfred's, most of the left hand is either chords (which could be inverted) or it plays when the right hand is holding a note. This makes it easier. In the Snell book it seems both hands move independently. I thought the prep book would be easy since I had finished Alfred's level 1 but it was not as easy as I thought so I'm glad I started with prep.

I will still do Alfred's two but I will suplement it with the Snell & Festival Collection series. The CDs included with Festival is a good deal so that I can pay attention to the more subtle things like dynamics, expression, etc.

The good thing about a method book is that it will teach specific things such as passing the thumb under the fingers or playing right hand over left, for example, and then have a song where that is required.

I don't mind spending extra time at the prep & level 1 levels because I think with a solid base one can go quicker at the higher levels.

#2047760 - 03/13/13 04:46 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
EmmaB Offline

I agree, it can be really difficult to select something from the wide selection now circulating the market. We asked our teachers to list their top three picks and they chose: Faber & Faber, Bastien, and Alfred. If you want to check their responses, you can find them here: http://www.musikalessons.com/news/1/ask-a-teacher-piano-methodologies

#2048044 - 03/14/13 05:28 AM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Targeted to especially train adult beginners for classical music, not boring you by kids/folk/country/movie pieces but only presenting classical tunes, this book is an excellent one and I am surprised that it isnĀ“t more popular:

The Classic Piano Course, by Carol Barratt
(I recommend the Omnibus Edition, comprising books 1-3, subtitled 'The Complete Piano Course for Older Beginners', because it costs almost the same than buying only one single book out of the series)

It in my opinion is perfect for
a) total (adult!) beginners having the support of a teacher.
b) the adult beginners with previous keyboard instrument experience from the past, at least basically remembering how to read notes, who now are about to restart learning piano playing from scratch; you need some self discipline, because it advances quite quickly with each piece introducing two new difficulties at a time.

Instead of biasing you to largely end up in the left hand with chords only playing, this method nicely trains hand independence and as well a nonconstrained left hand use.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2048185 - 03/14/13 12:39 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
Lullaby,

I'm here in the States, and using the ABRSM grades as a "teacher-less" strategy. I've no plans to take the exams. I'm now getting ready to start working on grade 2 pieces. I've worked on about 10 of the grade 1 pieces over the past year.

The thing I like about the ABRSM scheme is that the ABRSM has assigned a grade level to just about every classical piece known to man. That keeps me from attempting pieces that are much too hard for me. (They all LOOK hard when I start them!)

You might find the forums on the ABRSM.org site helpful. The teachers' forum has discussions of method and repertoire books for students at various levels.

Often the books they use in the UK aren't sold here. I've found that ordering them online from the ABRSM store or www.musicroom.com is easy.

I had some piano lessons as a kid, and had played other instruments a bit, so when I wanted to take a stab at piano again on my own I got The Piano Handbook by Chris Humphries. I like it because it works with classical pieces. However, it's not for a true beginner.

#2048233 - 03/14/13 02:25 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: thelullaby99]
Marc Harris Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
A number of reviews of the Alfred books on Amazon.com complain that they use the "Middle-C" method (which, as I understand it, has the right hand thumb, and possibly the left hand thumb pretty much fixed on middle C, and other fingers relative to it).

The reviewers seem to think that this teaches bad habits, causing students to translate directly from position on the stave to finger, instead of from stave to note name, and note name to keyboard location. Also that it teaches a habit of keeping the hands stationary which will need to be re-learned as the student advances to pieces that use a wider range of notes.

Is this a valid concern--especially at the complete adult beginner level? Or are these reviewers just forgetting that we must learn to crawl before we walk, and walk before we run?

#2048263 - 03/14/13 03:21 PM Re: What are the best method book for adult beginner? [Re: Marc Harris]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: Marc Harris
A number of reviews of the Alfred books on Amazon.com complain that they use the "Middle-C" method

This may depend on which Alfred book we are talking about. However, I am on page 105 of "Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course Level 1", and from what I can remember, only 3 (maybe 4) pages were devoted to "Middle C Position". I don't think we revisit Middle C ever again. This is just my experience.

Yamaha P-155

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    -------------------
    PIANO BOOKS
    Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
    sheet music search
    sheet music search

sheet music search
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    91 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 20 invisible), 1342 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    74223 Members
    42 Forums
    153539 Topics
    2250142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Piano song requests?
    by kent2012
    04/18/14 08:19 AM
    Requests?
    by kent2012
    04/18/14 08:06 AM
    2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
    by hsheck
    04/18/14 01:21 AM
    What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
    by That Tooner
    04/17/14 11:18 PM
    Kawai vs Ritmuller
    by cromax
    04/17/14 11:08 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission