Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
167 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 44 invisible), 1838 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2048306 - 03/14/13 04:41 PM bit of help please
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

You have not addressed the question of whether you want classical training, or whether you just want to learn how to play classical music which you find enjoyable. If you don't want your teacher to train you as a pianist, then you should tell her, and then she will probably aim the lessons toward your tastes.

I have taken this quote from one of my other threads because I hope someone can explain what this means.... thanks

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2048352 - 03/14/13 06:11 PM Re: bit of help please [Re: adultpianist]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
My guess is that the meaning is this: There are certain skills that one learns while being trained as a classical pianist. Skills that let you play a wide variety of music. Some people may not want to do all they have to and take the time to learn all those skills if they are not needed for playing the music that speaks to them. So if you don't want to be a complete, well rounded pianist, you can tell your teacher what it is that you want to learn how to play.

As one extreme example, some people just want to play popular music out of fake books, they don't want to learn how to read the bass clef or play traditional classical music. So for them, the traditional classical training approach may not be the best path.

So, maybe as an adult student you just want to learn to play fur elise and a few other popular classical pieces but mainly you want to learn to improvise or learn to play rock music or learn to accompany the choir at your church...if that's the case then perhaps you don't need to learn all the techniques that will open the full classical repertoire to your playing.

My guess is that the above quote is due to someone saying something like "I don't like what my teacher is asking me to do" or "I don't want to play the songs my teacher is giving me" or something like that. Then it becomes a question of why is your teacher is asking you to do those things. Maybe it's not the specific song but rather a particular skill that you'll learn by playing that song. If so, you can discuss with your teacher what the motivation is for the assignment and discuss if there is a better way to reach that objective, or even if that objective is worth striving for.

Warm Regards.

#2048370 - 03/14/13 06:45 PM Re: bit of help please [Re: adultpianist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
You have not addressed the question of whether you want classical training, or whether you just want to learn how to play classical music which you find enjoyable. If you don't want your teacher to train you as a pianist, then you should tell her, and then she will probably aim the lessons toward your tastes.

I have taken this quote from one of my other threads because I hope someone can explain what this means.... thanks

The quote is simply stating that you have not yet defined clearly (to the poster) what your goals are in playing the piano.

#2048489 - 03/15/13 01:15 AM Re: bit of help please [Re: Derulux]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I can give an example . . .

If somebody told me he/she was a "classically-trained pianist", I'd expect them to be able to play scales and arpeggios in all keys, fast, evenly, on request -- no sheet music, no thinking. That's part of the skill-set that "classically-trained" implies. Those things are like screwdrivers, drills, and wrenches to a mechanic.

If somebody wanted to play _just_ (for example) Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, they could learn it _without_ mastering that body of material. They'd have to learn the scales used _in that piece_, its chords and arpeggios, and so on.

The teaching approach is quite different in the two cases. In the first case, the teacher says:

. . . Here's a bunch of skills you'll have to master. Let's get started with the 24 major and minor scales.

In the second case, the teacher says:

. . . Okay, let's look at the first 5 measures of the first movement. In order to play those, here's what you'll need to be able to do . . . Let's work on those things.

So in one case the teacher is guided by the established discipline of "classical piano". In the second case, by the individual piece and its requirements.

The problem is, the second approach is _piecemeal_. You'll be needing skills helter-skelter. It's tough to teach that way, and tough to learn that way.

. Charles

#2048515 - 03/15/13 02:17 AM Re: bit of help please [Re: adultpianist]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The quote was from me, and I only noticed now that you had actually responded in that thread what I meant. In that thread, you wrote two things. You wanted your teacher to give you the pieces that you enjoyed, and didn't like what she had given you - (a version of Air on a G String). You also had told her that you wanted classical training.

What you quoted was preceded by this:
Quote:

Classical training means that you are given the skills and whatever is needed to play "classical" music well. Teaching does not only involve giving you information and correcting how you do things in lessons. It also involves assigning you activities that you do during the week where, if you do those activities in the manner that you are told, you will get those skills. The pieces you are given (assuming this is a good teacher) will have been chosen because of what they will teach you.

So I was suggesting that she chose those pieces because she could give you training (the knowledge and skills she would develop in you). You then insisted that you wanted pieces that you find enjoyable. Therefore you do not want classical training - meaning to be given skills through a teacher's guidance - you want to play classical pieces.

I had actually preceded my paragraph with a question.
What do you think it means to be "classically trained"?
Because you may have a different idea when you told your teacher that you wanted to be classically trained. What does "classically trained" mean to you? You did not answer that question. That might have given you the explanation that you are looking for in this thread.

Edited by keystring (03/15/13 02:18 AM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Gratitude
by Music Me
11/26/14 03:19 PM
The Notebook - Main Title - I'd like to know your opinion
by Dan Oliveira
11/26/14 03:09 PM
Interface Woes
by mitzysman
11/26/14 03:06 PM
In-Car Keyboard / Synth Setup
by Scott Hamlin
11/26/14 02:31 PM
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159372 Topics
2341117 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission