2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Pianoworld'ers,

I've enjoyed these "reviews" when I've read them in the past so I thought that I would post my own, although there will be nothing new under the sun here.

I've never played the piano but for some reason decided to give it a try. Shortly after New Year's I started my research to decide on a DP to buy. I'm currently on parental leave (a long one) which left me with way too much time for the research project. I've watched Sean O'Shea play the Kawai's on YouTube more than a couple of times by now (he does look more worked out now than a few years ago, in the videos eek ) and have spent a lot of time reading these forums (thanks all for all the good stuff!)

The decision was to go for a Kawai CN34. It was bought "blind" since I didn't have any Kawai dealers nearby (out of the alternatives, I didn't like the Roland's with Ivory-G feel, PHAIII had a reputation of being noisy, and a bit expensive in the 505, and for some reason Yamaha never stuck with me although I liked the GH/GH3 action).

First impressions
It's a great piano! I hesitated for a long time whether I should go for the CA65 or this one. CA13 was another option. I opted for the cheaper alternative hoping it would give me a lot of bang for the buck. I must say that the way it feels right now this will be more than enough for a long time! The action is heavy in a good sense, but feels distinct and fast. It sounds excellent. A lot of bells ans whistles that are fun (guess I will find out how much I will be using after the first week, but still fun). It looks great! I do prefer the look of the CA65 panel at the left hand side, there are a little bit to much going on on the CN34 for my taste, but no biggie.

Overall I have a great first impression, now I just need to learn how to play this thing!

This is how it looks in my home:

Preparation
All lies in the preparation, right? A white piano in front of a white wall would not stand out would it, so let's make the wall red instead!

[Linked Image]

Attempt one
Wall painted. Piano bought. A couple of adult piano books already waiting. Expectations are high. Waiting for the delivery. And... doh! The first piano that arrived from Thomann was unfortunately broken.

[Linked Image]

Attempt two
Thanks to the very good customer service at Thomann, the piano was shipped back and replaced. And here is the result:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you ask me it fits rather nice!

And thanks to an old bluetooth device that I had laying around at home I also got a neat way of getting music from my Android tablet or phone to play on the piano. Not sure if it will be used, but it works and it's fun smile

[Linked Image]

Again - thank you all for the content you contribute to this forum, it helped me a lot with my purchase!

Best regards,
Fredrik

M
M
Looks really nice. Congratulations. I also would have liked a ca65 style panel but you can't get everything for the price :-) You can pull out the cover a little bit to cover the panel.
Then it looks a bit more piano like.

I just have one question. As a father of a baby boy i have to ask, how can you have free time
on your parental leave? I barely find the time to practise on my CN34. I envy you ;-)

D
D
Hi Fredrik,

Your CN34 looks great. Hope you have fun playing it. After step 1 (painting the wall) and step 2 (getting a piano with all the parts intact), step 3 involves lots of practice learning how to play it. (Plus a little fun finding out all the things it can do.)

I’m still enjoying my CN34 (See http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2037203/1.html ) and getting in about an hour of practicing per day.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Fredrik, congratulations on your new piano!

Is that a set of AKG headphones I see?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
C
@Dave Horne, probably yes. Thomann lets you buy pianos in so-called "creative sets" that include (apart from the piano of course) a bench, headphones and music book and you get a discount off the price of these extras. The AKG's are often on offer in these sets.

@FredrikJ, congratulations on your new piano. smile I hope it will serve you well in the coming years. Now if you don't mind my asking, where do you live again? I have been thinking about buying my piano at thomann but I'm from the Czech Rep. and would very much like to avoid the situation you had to face when you received a damaged piece and had to ship it back to Germany. (Guess I will have to see what thomann's return conditions are when this happens.)

Last edited by Clayman; 03/14/13 03:25 PM.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Ooh, nice story, nice piano, nice result. Congrats.

B
B
A white piano!! I've never seen one in a better setting! And the piano bench is great!

Enjoy both fatherhood and playing the piano!

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
F
OP Offline
F
@All: Thanks!

@MagicK: My daughter is 9 months now so she still sleeps quite a lot. The trick is to try to do as many of the chores around the home as possible while she is awake so you can do other things when she sleeps wink

@Dave and Clayman: Yeap. K271 MK II. Althought it's not a part of a "Creative package" from Thomann. The discount on those seem to work a bit weird. If I combined the piano with the bench I got a 40 EUR discount. If I combined the piano with a pair of headphones (expensive ones, approx 3x the price of the bench) I got a 40 EUR discount. But combining the piano with both the bench and the headphones still only yielded a 40 EUR discount. I was able to get a better deal on the headphones elsewhere.

@Clayman: I live in Sweden. As I said the customer service (they have a Swedish "department" actually) was very good and helpful. I also think they were in contact with DHL who shipped the piano. Where it was damaged I don't know, all I can say is that you should be very careful checking the package once you receive it.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by FredrikJ
My daughter is 9 months now so she still sleeps quite a lot. The trick is to try to do as many of the chores around the home as possible while she is awake so you can do other things when she sleeps

I found that the activity receiving top priority when my children were that age sleeping was ... SLEEPING ! But, to each his own. LOL ...

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations Fredrik!

What a lovely piano you got and what a lovely wall color you picked to match it. It looks fabulous!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
FredrikJ, congratulations on becoming a father.
Oh, and nice piano too. wink

Seriously though, the CN34 looks terrific, and the freshly painted red wall offsets it nice. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@FredrikJ,

Wow... your red wall now perfectly matches the bench!

Very nice job, and, enjoy the new CN34.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission