2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I feel a bit lowly even mentioning this- but I am polishing and ready to perform Mozart #6 in B flat Major- but I cannot find musicians! I have been working on this with my teacher and was just told to hire musicians...now that it's time to find a double quartet, 2 ea of horns, oboe, flute. I had no idea of the cost and cannot afford the going rate in my area (90.00/hour) for a 14 piece orchestra. I would love the experience- any advice on how to find musicians or is this going to be sadly anticlimactic . . . I wish I knew that this would be so difficult when I started working on this piece.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
There are software solutions.

gotta go practice
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You can always just play with a string quartet or quintet, assuming there is an arrangement for these instruments.

If there isn't, you could make one.

Regards,

Polyphonist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Or you can turn up your stereo to maximum volume and play along with a CD. I've done that before.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why not a two piano version?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
As Nicholas says, you need to first work with another pianist. The way I did this was place an ad online in my area. A piano teacher responded and we play each others parts. This is very important before you collect your musicians. When you can play it very well with a pianist, you can look around for students or semi-professionals who would like to play in your orchestra. Check with your chamber music society, university, or high school. You will need to buy the orchestral score and the parts, but I suspect you can get the volunteers to pay for their parts. You might consider charging a $10 rental fee. Good luck!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It all depends on your level of performance and what you want to do with it really. If you just want the satisfaction of playing the concerto at home then an orchestral accompaniment on CD would be good. There is a series of books, I think it's called music minus one, which gives you the solo score and a recorded accompaniment. If you want to play it with someone then as others have said you need to try a two piano version first.

For public performance you could try contacting any local amateur orchestras in your area. Where I live there are a couple who are happy for soloists to come and play concertos with them. The cost is usually met by ticket sales for the concert so there shouldn't be any expense for you personally.

Pianist and piano teacher.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Definitely don't use Music Minus One, it's not helpful because there is no actual conductor there and it gives you no room for expression. You're trying to keep up with the orchestra instead of it following you.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Band in a Box follows you.

gotta go practice
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Music minus one is the same thing as when any other music student plays along with a recording. Not ideal of course but it can serve a purpose.

I'm interested to know how band in a box follows you though Tim?

Pianist and piano teacher.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I am curious. If a student is working on a piece with a teacher and the piece is to be performed with accompaniment, does the teacher play no role in that aspect? Um - come to think of it - this is piano. But for solo instruments, the teachers we were with did recommend the accompanist and knew whom to contact.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Chris H.

I'm interested to know how band in a box follows you though Tim?

I don't know how it works. I haven't tried it myself. I'm going on reports from fellow trombone players. I've been told that in many music schools an accompanist is no longer required for juries, etc., that everybody uses BIAB now.

Maybe I misunderstood. I'll ask somebody who uses it.

Last edited by TimR; 03/15/13 05:22 PM.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You can tweak BIAB to alter its performance everytime, but I seriously doubt it's following the performer... Do check Tim, I'm also quite curious...

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nikolas
You can tweak BIAB to alter its performance everytime, but I seriously doubt it's following the performer... Do check Tim, I'm also quite curious...

It is very possible I just remembered wrong. I've asked the question with some trombone players, maybe they'll come up with something.

If you have somebody to play the accompaniment, there are programs that let you step through a MIDI output by playing a keyboard. There is some potential to these - they would allow your accompanist to follow you through very complex arrangements.

gotta go practice
Instead of hiring 14 people, hire 5:

String Quartet + Second Piano.

We used to do this in Livonia (we did a concerto camp coached by Gene Bossart, I was the 2nd piano) and it works quite well. You basically play with 2nd piano, but the string players augment the sound and it makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by P I A N O piano
I feel a bit lowly even mentioning this- but I am polishing and ready to perform Mozart #6 in B flat Major- but I cannot find musicians! I have been working on this with my teacher and was just told to hire musicians...now that it's time to find a double quartet, 2 ea of horns, oboe, flute. I had no idea of the cost and cannot afford the going rate in my area (90.00/hour) for a 14 piece orchestra. I would love the experience- any advice on how to find musicians or is this going to be sadly anticlimactic . . . I wish I knew that this would be so difficult when I started working on this piece.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Movies are made with real symphony orchestras, but only for the final take.

All of the early writing and editing are done with software orchestras like Garritan Symphony, etc.
http://www.garritan.com/

You would be surprised how good the quality is now.

gotta go practice
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nikolas

You are right, I remembered wrong.

But apparently SmartMusic can.

http://www.smartmusic.com/products/

gotta go practice
B
B
What about posting a flyer at a local community college or music store asking for volunteer amateur musicians? As a flute player, I'd be tempted to call you if only for the opportunity to dust off my flute and make some real music on it again.

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You're also going to need a venue.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Brinestone
What about posting a flyer at a local community college or music store asking for volunteer amateur musicians? As a flute player, I'd be tempted to call you if only for the opportunity to dust off my flute and make some real music on it again.

That assumes the player not only has the performance skills to play this piece, but the organizational skills to put together an ensemble, schedule rehearsals, edit parts, tune the second viola desk, mark bowings, coach, cheerlead, conduct, etc.

It can be done. It can be hugely rewarding. But I'm not sure that's what the OP is looking for.

The easiest way would be to find a community or small college orchestra and talk them into putting you on the program for the next concert.

How much cooperation you get depends on what their approach is and how well you play the concerto. You're going to need to bring them a CD of you playing.

There is a sneaky way of getting your foot in the door. Join the group as a utility percussionist. Make yourself a valuable member - never complain, play everything asked, show up early for everything, laugh at the conductor's jokes no matter how dumb, in general fit in. After the first concert approach the director with your proposal.

gotta go practice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission