2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2047875 03/13/13 09:01 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Howdy folks, I have a pricing question. I would like to buy a new Kawai K-8. As you probably know, not many dealers keep this model in stock. I am in Florida and have found a dealer who will sell me one for $10245 not including delivery or tax. What do y'all think about this price? Also, the instrument would have to be ordered from Kawai. Seeing as I haven't played it (but I have played a K-3), am I being unreasonable in asking that the dealer have it delivered to the showroom so that I can play and inspect it before I pay for it? He says he can't do that because if he doesn't sell me the instrument after ordering it, Kawai will not take it back and that buyers for that model are few and far between. I can certainly appreciate his concern, but I also have trouble paying for such a big ticket item sight unseen. One wouldn't not test drive a car before buying right? Kawai also wants to sell the instrument, so I've called them and explained my concerns to see if they will work with the dealer on this. Thoughts?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Clark - Welcome to Piano World!

It's a very good price and a difficult situation. My suggestion is that you send a PM to KawaiDon. He is a frequent poster here and is a big dog with Kawai USA. He might have some ideas to keep everyone happy.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the information Marty!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You might have to cash in your frequent-flier miles to travel to a town that has a more accommodating dealer, or one who carries the model as floor stock. Surely in all of Florida (or some close neighbor) there has to be a K-8. Calling the head US office to find one (or to see if something can be worked out) is probably a good idea.

I think I've seen this model at Carnes in San Jose, or maybe it was a K-6. I think playing a K-3 is only going to offer you a very sketchy idea of what to expect from their top-of-the-line model, but I think you are on the right track in wanting to play the same piano you are going to take home (down to the same serial number and service history).

"...He says he can't do that because if he doesn't sell me the instrument after ordering it, Kawai will not take it back..."

Maybe there's some truth to this, but it may be less than the statement implies. Units do move from one dealer to another in some circumstances. Taking a deposit as earnest-money to secure an order is customary, but in any case, if you did not like the piano for some reason, the dealer would take it back. In might be in terms of arranging a swap for some other model, or it could involve charges for moving, restocking, etc. These are standard retail practices. If you had ordered a special finish (say, white elephant, zebra, shocking pink, some airbrushed atrocity such as Gibson was putting on defenseless Chinese Kimballs, or even a fancy veneer) it would be another story. On the other hand, without trying to find out, who knows if a fellow seller has this model on the floor and would like to move it? There is an advantage to you in having the local dealer handle service and warranty issues, if they arise.

Anyway, he doesn't want to take the chance, and I think you will have to go elsewhere... somewhere, where the seller doesn't act like he is doing you a favor. Or maybe I'm reading the wrong impression into this; maybe it's just a stark statement of the financial facts-of-life in recessionary times. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I hope you let us know how you like the piano, and how it works out.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My impressions were that the K3 is appreciably different to a K8. A K6, though, would give a fairly close comparison. A couple of years ago, when I was initially looking for an upright, I would have left the K3 where it was, but the K6 & K8 were on my short-list.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you are looking for an excuse to travel, Kim's in Garden Grove, CA has a K-8 and a K-6 in stock.

I would not use the K-3 to evaluate the possibilities of the K-8. The K-5 and upwards are on another level of touch and tone above the K-3.

Gary
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think the K6 is extremely similar to the K8. You might want to check one of those out, too, and save yourself a few bucks. The K6 is a really nice upright. I've never seen nor played a K8.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
I wouldnt say the k5 is like the k8, more like the k3.... has the same size harp with a bigger box and acoustic openings.... k6 and upwards are similar...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
I wouldnt say the k5 is like the k8, more like the k3.... has the same size harp with a bigger box and acoustic openings.... k6 and upwards are similar...
That's not a very accurate description of the differences between them. The pricing increases +25% because of differences at virtually every level of construction. The K5 & K6 are far more similar in construction and materials, but noting the obvious size difference.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
S
imo K3,K5,K6 and K8 are all excellent choices and the upgrade worth every penny.
K3 has the ideal sweet spot at 5k cost you get everything you need. Hence the most popular model.
K5 has a signifcant better tone (to my ears) and many say better touch. I think the inside components are different.
K6 is more a bigger size K5, of course 3 inch is worth the upgrade.
if you want spent a little more here it is K8.

PLEYEL P124
M
M
I sympathize with the dealer here. I think if your after a K8 you wont have any worries. It's not like your going to play the K8 and go "I changed my mind and will take that K3 instead!". When I was shopping for my K8 the first two dealers didn't stock for the same reasons. The 3rd dealer did however and I ended up not going with. The dealer I went with drop shipped directly from Kawai so I never even saw/played it until it was in my home! There were no problems, actually one scratch on the cabinetry I noticed and a phone call to the dealer quickly resolved/fixed within a week.

With a good dealer and Kawai behind their products I don't see any concern in this instance. Unless you're contemplating a K8 vs. K6 vs. K5 comparison which is a totally different situation.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
That's not a very accurate description of the differences between them. The pricing increases +25% because of differences at virtually every level of construction. The K5 & K6 are far more similar in construction and materials, but noting the obvious size difference.

Fair point... i still like to pretend mines essentially a k5 without the 19" rims and fluffy dice though ... :-)

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all of the information everyone. I've purchased a K8 locally and look forward to having it delivered. I was very close to purchasing from Forte Piano Gallery in Ocala, about eighty miles away from me, had a local dealer not swooped in at the eleventh hour with a way for me to get the instrument I wanted. Even though I ended up going with a dealer closer to home, I applaud Nancy of Forte for being willing to allow me to test drive the piano in the store, despite it being a special order. Ultimately, it did not come to this, but until today, she'd been the only dealer willing to make this sort of arrangement for me. Good old fashioned customer service is still alive.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. I think you'll enjoy it. Find a good technician, and don't forget the pictures.

Gary

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission