2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The sound are, because when I pay 3-4k USD for the piano, adding few more sounds doesn't cost too much, but gives marketing advantage from one side,
from another - as I pianist I would like sometimes to play on good quality organs, harpsihord, some rhodes or jazz piano. I plan piano for fun so why not to have a little bit more fun?

It's for us, I uderstand that here are few piano purist, however let's be happy because of few more sounds smile

However, if I had money, I'd buy AG1 laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think a lot of the reasoning behind these extra sounds is 'because they can'. Nearly every major DP manufacturer also makes some type of workstation or 61-key "rompler" or did at one time, so why not add select simplified versions of those sounds to their lines of DP's? They're already sampled and ready to go, and sometimes they even reside on a different chip than the piano voices so they may not necessarily 'cut in' to the memory allocated to the piano patches, even if negligible.

I have also seen some of these used as "filler" in live musical theatre productions (usually electric piano, organs, harpsichord and strings). There are those who have an occasional need for those additional bread-n-butter sounds. For more than an occasional need, of course I'd recommend a synthesizer or workstation (or a real orchestra if you can afford it), but the additional sounds can have a use out in the wild. Keep in mind that DP manufacturers need to cater to both contemporary and classical style players and stocking a 'bare-bones' and 'deluxe' model is both prohibitive for the manufacturer and the retailer who has to find room to display and store them!

I come from the other side of the spectrum where my keyboards focus on the additional sounds and the piano is 'extra', so I couldn't really see myself using a Digital Piano's string ensemble patch in a serious setting, but there are those that do, either out of enjoyment or necessity.

I guess my opinion is "don't worry about it". The price seems dictated by the keyboard action rather than the on-board sounds anyway, so I doubt (highly) that their elimination would produce any noticeable lurch forward in piano realism, or lurch downward in price. I think of it like I think of my computer. I rarely use all the features, but it's part of the deal. Can't make everyone happy wink.

Last edited by LesCharles73; 03/12/13 09:21 PM.

Les C Deal

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
My opus currently runs to no. 147 at present....

Beethoven's Gross Fugue - just about the last thing he did - was Op.135. Brahms notched up Opus 122 before he died whilst Anton Webern managed a mere 36 terse opuses. But Bennevis, who lists mountaineering, hang gliding and advanced orienteering among his pass times, and professes musically to concentrate on classical performance rather than composition, casually mentions that he (...if indeed this be the gender....) has already completed 147 opuses. Might I be entertaining a romantic fancy in assuming that these are accomplished before lavage each morning?

What ever the case may be, this is phenomenal!

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by toddy

Beethoven's Gross Fugue - just about the last thing he did - was Op.135. Brahms notched up Opus 122 before he died whilst Anton Webern managed a mere 36 terse opuses. But Bennevis, who lists mountaineering, hang gliding and advanced orienteering among his pass times, and professes musically to concentrate on classical performance rather than composition, casually mentions that he (...if indeed this be the gender....) has already completed 147 opuses. Might I be entertaining a romantic fancy in assuming that these are accomplished before lavage each morning?

What ever the case may be, this is phenomenal!

I wish that something along the scale of Sorabji's Opus clavicembalisticum number among my opuses wink , but the truth is that most of my pieces are barely five minutes in length (and those are the slow ones...). Less than fifteen minutes' worth of music composed every 365 days barely register on the (Sviatoslav) Richter scale in terms of time and effort taken. (And don't forget, there's plenty of style, but little substance in them cry).

Nothing at all compared to Wolfie composing his last three symphonies (each lasting half an hour, and each a masterpiece) in less than three months - not that I'm comparing my feeble efforts to that of my favourite composer, of course.....

As for my outdoor and underwater activities, they are mostly concentrated during my annual (or biannual, or triannual) vacation. Apart from my running.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'm well and truly a bicycle person so it's a little similar.

You say your favourite composer is Wolfie. This is interesting as I must admit I've never heard of him (if this be the gender). In fact, the only Wolfie I can recall was the leading member of the Tooting Popular Front, back in the mid 70s. In fact, he was also the only member, afaicr.

I've begun to try 'composing'. The pieces are short. One minute seems about the average. There is so much to be said, the thin g is to find different - unexpected - ways of saying them. This takes bollocks, or good old fashioned courage.

It also comes in very handy that I have hundreds of sounds in the DP. This is a paint box - a very crude affair, perhaps, compared to the sophisticated VST sound sets that people use for this kind of work. Nevertheless, I'm finding my feet with this facility, and to my ears, more than 10 percent sound good. To that extent, I'm very grateful to Roland for putting them into this relatively lowly DP. They're tools, and emphatically not gimmicks.

Last edited by toddy; 03/13/13 06:28 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
B
Originally Posted by toddy
I've begun to try 'composing'. The pieces are short. One minute seems about the average. There is so much to be said, the thin g is to find different - unexpected - ways of saying them. This takes bollocks, or good old fashioned courage.

It also comes in very handy that I have hundreds of sounds in the DP. This is a paint box - a very crude affair, perhaps, compared to the sophisticated VST sound sets that people use for this kind of work. Nevertheless, I'm finding my feet with this facility, and to my ears, more than 10 percent sound good. To that extent, I'm very grateful to Roland for putting them into this relatively lowly DP. They're tools, and emphatically not gimmicks.

I believe there is a Sibelius program/software that commits to print/file exactly what you play on the keyboard - makes 'composing' a doddle as you don't even need to be able to read/write music. I don't know how many 'real' composers use it, but I've seen some 'compositions' that make me suspect this, when notes fly randomly around the staves with all sorts of weird cross-rhythms which make no sense - except when someone is doodling at the keyboard....

Anyway, all this technology is beyond my feeble brain. I just write my music on manuscript paper, then check out what I've written by playing it on the piano afterwards, and make corrections/alterations as necessary.

"Anyway, all this technology is beyond my feeble brain. I just write my music on manuscript paper, then check out what I've written by playing it on the piano afterwards, and make corrections/alterations as necessary."

At least you do it properly! I`ve recorded stuff, but the music`s in me `ed. This Sibelius sounds up my street . . . Just - Play and LO! . . .Music appears . . how good`s that??

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Originally Posted by peterws
"Anyway, all this technology is beyond my feeble brain. I just write my music on manuscript paper, then check out what I've written by playing it on the piano afterwards, and make corrections/alterations as necessary."

At least you do it properly! I`ve recorded stuff, but the music`s in me `ed. This Sibelius sounds up my street . . . Just - Play and LO! . . .Music appears . . how good`s that??

Do you remember a guy on a BBC reality TV show called 'Goldie' (I think), who couldn't read music?

He 'composed' a piece of music using the Sibelius stuff, then someone orchestrated (and corrected/improved) his music for him under his verbal instructions, and then even got it played by a symphony orchestra.....

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Anyway, all this technology is beyond my feeble brain. I just write my music on manuscript paper, then check out what I've written by playing it on the piano afterwards, and make corrections/alterations as necessary.

Actually, the Sibelius and Finale softwares are very expensive as well as they take a very long time (or, learning curve) to figure out how to use them. So, I do as you do and end up writing down my occasional transcription by hand, instead.

Silly me . . .
I thought it was free

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Musescore is free...

Edit:...and quite usable, just taking care of how it works, I mean, configuring the sheet (bar width, number of bars, etc) right before you begin to enter the notes, and leaving some details (expression ties) to the final stage.
Of course it takes some time to learn how to use it, but it's very well done.
If you are working on easy or short pieces, it's faster to write it yourself on the fly.
But for larger/difficult pieces, combos, lead sheets or some purposes (i.e. transposition)...it's a great tool. And you can enter notes via midi, too.
I often use it to get the sheets cleaner, for my teacher gives them to me hand-written, sometimes.

Last edited by mabraman; 03/15/13 08:07 AM.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Point taken, but I have an awful suspicion that if I'd started out learning on such a DP as a child, I wouldn't have become a classical pianist and be able to play most of the world's great piano music that's been composed over the past few centuries.

I was very intrigued by, and learning about new things - especially mechanical ones that I can participate in. (I loved designing and making model planes that can fly, and taking things apart to see how they worked, for instance). If I had a DP that could give me all sorts of sounds and rhythm accompaniments etc when I was learning to play, I'd have spent all my 'practice' time playing with all those possibilities, rather than building up my technique and musicianship - which required thousands of hours of incessant practising, and listening critically to myself playing, for which there are no short-cuts (as I was no prodigy cry).

Yeah but you might have been able to learn how to play more varied types of music that maybe even other people would pay to hear and make a living out of it. You never know where things might lead. I've never had a piano lesson in my life and yet I've probably played to more people then most classical pianists in history. Some of its practice , some of its technique .... But most of its just pure luck.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
B
B
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Yeah but you might have been able to learn how to play more varied types of music that maybe even other people would pay to hear and make a living out of it. You never know where things might lead. I've never had a piano lesson in my life and yet I've probably played to more people then most classical pianists in history. Some of its practice , some of its technique .... But most of its just pure luck.

I realized quite early on that I had no gift for music, or playing the piano - my cousins (who were responsible for my parents wanting their children to learn piano - keeping up with the Joneses and all that....) were younger than me but already playing Mozart's Rondo alla turca at 8 (well, they did start learning piano at 5), while I could just about pick out 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' at 10 cry.

My parents weren't musical - there was hardly any music in the home before the piano arrived. I listened to pop and rock songs on the radio like everyone else, but it wasn't until by chance when (after being given a short-wave radio, which I promptly took apart...) I tuned in to a classical music request program on BBC World Service (I wasn't living in the West then) that I found music that really 'spoke' to me. It was Mozart's Symphony No.40: that first movement kept haunting me, until I finally saved enough money to go to a record shop and buy an LP of it to play on the turntable at home (which was gathering dust until then). And I knew then that it was classical music that would dominate my listening (and keep my interest in playing the piano going), regardless of what my friends and parents thought. I had, and still have, a thick enough skin that I didn't care what people thought of me..... grin

I had no interest in playing any other kind of music until many years later, when it was sort of fun occasionally to jam with friends playing pop music (even if I'd never heard the songs before - I just improvised my way through them wink ), as we once did on an Alaskan ferry, to an appreciative (?) audience. I also played the odd classical recital for fun or for charity. But I didn't think it would be right for me to make any money out of my piano playing when there are so many pianists (young and not-so-young) struggling to get concert engagements, so I'd never take on any 'job' where a fee was offered (- or should have been offered), which I thought would be better suited to a professional pianist.

Oddly enough, I have no qualms at all about making money out of my (amateur) photography by selling my mountaineering and travel photos to magazines, etc. I figured that if a professional photographer can't climb, he won't be able to get the photos I got, so I'm not depriving him of his income...... grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Funny isnt it. I have one keyboard, not even full size (5 octaves). I bought it in 1999 for under £200. Now although it has, for its class a fantastic piano voice,and a great DSP it also contains over 100 other voices. OK theyre all sampled so are pretty authentic but I only wanted a piano voice. So when I get chance to play it I end up playing through the various voices and forgetting why I switched it on!
And annoyingly at the time it was almost impossible to buy a digital piano for that kind of money, yet it was quite possible to buy a home keyboard complete with midi and 4 track recorder!!

Last edited by LarryShone; 03/15/13 06:37 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission