Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2051336 - 03/20/13 12:32 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray?

That was the quote of the day!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2051356 - 03/20/13 12:55 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: theJourney]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: theJourney
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray?

....if not more. grin

#2051387 - 03/20/13 01:52 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray? - but you can't stop me from feeling a tiny bit resentful and wish that I can too own a piano one day)

Not a fair comparison since each Picasso truly is one of a kind. I would, however, love to do just that!

#2051390 - 03/20/13 01:55 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Each Steinway is also one of a kind wink no piano is identical

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2051394 - 03/20/13 01:59 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Damon
Not a fair comparison since each Picasso truly is one of a kind. I would, however, love to do just that!

You do realize that many people think likewise of pianos?

I sure do. Look: Even leaving aside issues of varying workmanship, even when the workers are only machines ha .....no two pieces of wood are identical.

The fact of every piano being unique (anyway I'm calling it a fact) grin is why it astonishes me that so many people seem happy to buy pianos sight-unseen (and sound-unheard), or, for that matter, to buy a piano in need of rebuilding before seeing and hearing what it'll be after the rebuilding. The nature of a piano depends on its materials, workmanship, and history, and you never know exactly what it is or what it'll be until you see.

Edit: Thanks, Pogo, for saying the same thing in just one line. ha

Edited by Mark_C (03/20/13 02:00 PM)

#2051416 - 03/20/13 02:53 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
patH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

The comparison between art and music instruments is a good one, for two reasons.

Reason one: Nobody who buys a Picasso is asked if they know anything about art, or can paint themselves. The only requirement for buying a Picasso is the proper amount of money. The same is true for pianos, even if some people might not like it.

Reason two: The original question in this thread was, if acoustic pianos will be obsolete one day. Well, we just have to look at the world of visual arts. We have photography (now digital), we have powerful software programs that can help the artist create interesting works; and we now even have 3D printers. And yet, oil painting has not become obsolete. People still do it, people still love it, people still buy oil paintings.

So I'm optimistic that acoustic instruments, especially pianos, are here to stay.

#2051502 - 03/20/13 06:21 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Many of those people DO use their pianos as trays. smile

I still find the comparison laughable.

#2051637 - 03/20/13 10:57 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

I cringe at that. Even when it's on coasters. ha

Nothing is allowed to be on my piano! (Except my metronome, hygrometer, pen, glasses, phone, a second hygrometer to make sure the first one is accurate, and sheet music.)

#2051641 - 03/20/13 11:03 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic [Re: Mark_C]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Nothing is allowed to be on my piano! (Except my metronome, hygrometer, pen, glasses, phone, a second hygrometer to make sure the first one is accurate, and sheet music.)
I don't even allow pens and phones. I don't have a hygrometer and I hardly use a metronome, so that leaves glasses, and sheet music.

#2051712 - 03/21/13 02:08 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: theJourney

....if not more. grin

Well, hopefully not a mirror! ha

Music is my best friend.

#2051759 - 03/21/13 06:31 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: pianoloverus]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.

Really? I suppose you think marrying for money is a valid as marrying for love. People do things for the wrong reasons all the time. The prime example is entering politics but I could fill a book.

#2051772 - 03/21/13 07:18 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: -Frycek]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.

Really? I suppose you think marrying for money is a valid as marrying for love. People do things for the wrong reasons all the time. The prime example is entering politics but I could fill a book.

I think it is.

#2051807 - 03/21/13 08:42 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

I cringe at that. Even when it's on coasters. ha

I use my Digital Piano as a tray for my hygrometers, among other things.

#2051814 - 03/21/13 09:09 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
A person's motivation for any action is based on a value judgement. Value judgements vary between people (and within people over time).

Similarly peoples' value judgement on other people's motivations .......

#2051874 - 03/21/13 11:22 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I think it is.

Oh boy. Please tell us you're kidding?

Or maybe that's right... and maybe that could be my ticket to being rich! Helll, I'm good looking - now just have to find a rich husband and I WILL own a Steinway!!!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2051898 - 03/21/13 12:03 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: -Frycek]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City

I'm not sure about the merits of different reasons for marrying, but I am sure about (my opinion) of the merits of buying a piano. I didn't say the merits for doing anything are the same. Certainly the merits of different reasons for going to war are not the same.

But buying a piano for furniture or prestige or as an expensive coffee table for photos does no harm. It doesn't prevent anyone else from buying a piano because there is no shortage of pianos.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/21/13 12:06 PM)

#2051901 - 03/21/13 12:06 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It kills the soul of the piano, because that piano is never played. A piano is not a couch ...

poor piano.

#2051907 - 03/21/13 12:12 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I read a article from 2009 in BBC Music Magazine where Olli Mustonen had to choose a Steinway Grand from all the units on offer in the Steinway showroom. A layman might think one grand is like another, yet he chose one specific example!
Yet if they were DPs they would likely be all the same!

Edited by LarryShone (03/21/13 12:13 PM)

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2051954 - 03/21/13 01:23 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Really? I suppose you think marrying for money is a valid as marrying for love.

I think it is.

Oh boy. Please tell us you're kidding?

I'm not.

Or maybe that's right... and maybe that could be my ticket to being rich! Helll, I'm good looking - now just have to find a rich husband and I WILL own a Steinway!!!

You wouldn't be the first.

#2051961 - 03/21/13 01:37 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And would it be fair to anybody?

And I thought -I- had no morals haha

#2051970 - 03/21/13 01:52 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
It kills the soul of the piano, because that piano is never played. A piano is not a couch ...

poor piano.
The soul of the piano?

Even if one agreed that pianos have souls, I think you're assuming what that would somehow imply they must be used as musical instruments.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/21/13 01:58 PM)

#2052025 - 03/21/13 03:35 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC

And think about the number of cultures where arranged marriages - marriages arranged for the mutual benefit of the families concerned, not for that of the marrying couple - are the norm. Those marriages are arranged on the basis of social and financial standing as well as on religious compatibility.

Does one consider the "fairness" or the "morality" of such marriages. Yes, perhaps, but only if viewed from a North American perspective. It's hard for some of us to understand how fair and moral arranged marriages can be when we aren't raised in the social context where such are the norm.

Regards,

#2052033 - 03/21/13 03:51 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: pianoloverus]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

poor piano.
The soul of the piano?

Even if one agreed that pianos have souls, I think you're assuming what that would somehow imply they must be used as musical instruments.

No, I'm sorry - they we're built to be used for firewood.

#2052085 - 03/21/13 06:03 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
patH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

A better question IMO: Would it be unfair to anybody?

#2052092 - 03/21/13 06:23 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Is love fair to anybody?

#2052105 - 03/21/13 06:59 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: patH

Yes....... To the person with the cash.

Damon - what kind of a question is that? You think it's fair for some broad to marry a rich guy while not giving a damn about him, possibly having affairs left and right - is that fair to the guy, really? Is that better than two people in love getting married?

I am a cynic too at times, but come on... Love is the most powerful thing in the world and a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...

#2052111 - 03/21/13 07:11 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
What Pogo said.

#2052118 - 03/21/13 07:31 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]Is that better than two people in love getting married?

[...] a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...

Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

Click to reveal..
Obviously didn't bother to read my comment traditional arranged marriages that are the social backbone of many societies.

#2052124 - 03/21/13 07:45 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
patH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: patH

Yes....... To the person with the cash.

Not if they know what they're getting into.

In my opinion, if both parties are consenting to have a marriage based on material values (e.g. one party wants a trophy, the other party wants money), then I have no problem with them marrying.

However, I disagree with arranged marriages, if at least one spouse does not want to be married, and is unhappy in the marriage.

But a piano will not feel that. Although I'm not happy at the thought of a well-crafted piano just standing in a room without being played, I accept that a piano is not a person.

#2052128 - 03/21/13 08:03 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: BruceD]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]Is that better than two people in love getting married?

[...] a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...

Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

Click to reveal..
Obviously didn't bother to read my comment traditional arranged marriages that are the social backbone of many societies.

I am European.

OH! and why do you assume that the marriages based on "love" are the only ones to fall apart?

Edited by Pogorelich. (03/21/13 08:04 PM)

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (ajames, accordeur, Adypiano, ABC Vermonter, 49 invisible), 1873 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156095 Topics
2292189 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
07/23/14 12:25 PM
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
07/23/14 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
07/23/14 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
07/23/14 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
07/23/14 10:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission