Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
98 registered (ando, Almaviva, accordeur, anamnesis, 25 invisible), 1278 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2052621 - 03/22/13 05:14 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: bennevis
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S.... grin

Great post, and excellent choice! ha

I think it could also work with Quentin Tarantino, or by exhuming Alfred Hitchcock....

Hey, I'd watch it. I think it could actually work. Sort of a cyberage version of the Mephisto Waltz. (Alan Alda, not Liszt)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2052628 - 03/22/13 05:25 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: bennevis]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: patH
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

Or maybe to Tom and Jerry? wink
There was already a short T&J movie where Tom gets killed by a piano while chasing Jerry. Then he ascends to heaven, where he is told that he has one hour to make Jerry forgive him, otherwise he'll end up in heck. And at the end:
Click to reveal..
Tom wakes up, and it was all a dream.

I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S. grin

My idea involves a new piano competition where competitors have to play on a brand new 110-key grand designed by the founder of the competition, who also composed a concerto that all finalists must play.

Competitors start disappearing mysteriously as they begin practicing on the amazing Böstéînfåzyám piano, trying desperately to master the intractable difficulties of the 90 minute concerto. Everyone thought they were getting cold feet, and pulling out one by one, but too embarrassed to let the organisers know they were flying off home.

Then people began noticing that the piano was 'developing' more and more keys, and its tone was getting more mellifluous as competitors disappeared off into the ether. One of the favored pianists put a hidden video camera to see what was happening during the practice sessions....... wink

....and saw, to her horror, that when the pianist played a wrong note, the piano lid suddenly expanded and curled out, and turned into a huge upper jaw to gobble up the hapless pianist, sucking him into its innards.........grin

Can't wait, never could resist B-horror...

#2052860 - 03/23/13 09:15 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Lemon Pledge +1. Speakers suck at reproducing piano sound. Maybe the speaker approach is flawed completely. But the elecronic sound boards are not really much better either. So my vote is 'no'

But I realize that many people don't hear the difference so 'democracy' may determine otherwise...

Edited by wouter79 (03/23/13 09:16 AM)

#2053295 - 03/24/13 06:37 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: wouter79]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

But I realize that many people don't hear the difference so 'democracy' may determine otherwise...

Not "democracy." Captitalism.

#2053339 - 03/24/13 08:32 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: -Frycek]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: -Frycek

Captitalism sounds like the economy of the red light district...

#2053345 - 03/24/13 08:44 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: -Frycek]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

And capitalism says: As long as there are people willing to shell out good money for quality acoustic instruments, they (the acoustic instruments) won't die out.

The instruments that will possibly die out are the cheaply made acoustic instruments, with mediocre sound and not-so-great action. Because these instruments don't offer more value for their money than good digital pianos. But who knows; maybe people who buy pianos will somehow still like acoustic instruments.

That's why capitalism is good: It gives people a choice as to decide what will survive in the market.

#2053556 - 03/24/13 04:07 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes maybe that's right, if it's just market work yet then it is capitalism.

But government also plays a role. If it's decided that it's too expensive to *educate* the people that build, tune and maintain these pianos, then it's more a political choice?

#2053558 - 03/24/13 04:13 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: wouter79]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

But government also plays a role. If it's decided that it's too expensive to *educate* the people that build, tune and maintain these pianos, then it's more a political choice?

What government educates piano builders?

#2053562 - 03/24/13 04:23 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

What government educates piano builders?

Or piano tuners?

#2053565 - 03/24/13 04:24 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

First of all, Pogo never said "marry for infatuation". Get it right.

Secondly, I'm so sick of older people who condescend to young people for being young. That s*** is obnoxious.

#2053578 - 03/24/13 04:47 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Government pays the schools a lot. But only the official recognised institutions. And the government also judges the quality of the institutions and for accreditation of the diplomas. So I suppose they have quite some influence on WHAT is being teached.

#2053582 - 03/24/13 04:52 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: wouter79]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Government pays the schools a lot. But only the official recognised institutions. And the government also judges the quality of the institutions and for accreditation of the diplomas. So I suppose they have quite some influence on WHAT is being teached.

Perhaps in general education but what government document or instruction can you produce that outlines and refines the process of building and tuning a piano? Can't a home schooled person become an expert piano builder or tuner without the assistance of government? Or is it this?

#2053601 - 03/24/13 05:27 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

Secondly, I'm so sick of older people condescending towards young people for being young. That s*** is obnoxious.

Hey, I'm a decidedly older person. I'm on your side.

(More or less happliy married for 30 years. One of my favorite songs is "Hello Young Lovers" from the King and I. It pretty much says it all.)

#2053609 - 03/24/13 05:42 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

Perhaps in general education but what government document or instruction can you produce that outlines and refines the process of building and tuning a piano? Can't a home schooled person become an expert piano builder or tuner without the assistance of government? Or is it this?

I don't know the situation in America; but in Germany there are schools ("Berufsfachschulen") where instrument building is taught as a profession. The schools are usually public schools and supervised by the government.

Another way to become an instrument builder is in a company; starting as an apprentice and eventually becoming a graduate and a master.
I don't know much about the training system in companies; but I believe that government agencies supervise them. After all, diplomas should be comparable.

#2053616 - 03/24/13 06:07 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I don't know the situation in America; but in Germany there are schools ("Berufsfachschulen") where instrument building is taught as a profession. The schools are usually public schools and supervised by the government.

Another way to become an instrument builder is in a company; starting as an apprentice and eventually becoming a graduate and a master.
I don't know much about the training system in companies; but I believe that government agencies supervise them. After all, diplomas should be comparable.

No such thing exists in the US. (Big surprize, right?)

#2053724 - 03/24/13 10:16 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

I never said she did. Get it right, dude!

#2053728 - 03/24/13 10:32 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That's what you seemed to imply.

#2053729 - 03/24/13 10:34 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: -Frycek]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
One of my favorite songs is "Hello Young Lovers" from the King and I. It pretty much says it all.)

But maybe not so intense as We Kiss in the Shadow?

wink

#2053734 - 03/24/13 10:51 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Secondly, I'm so sick of older people condescending towards young people for being young. That s*** is obnoxious.

I'm sick of young people using adjectives in place of active verbs. laugh

#2053737 - 03/24/13 11:00 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Fixed. (I think?) grin

--

EDIT: Damnit, someone help me out with this grammar.

"don't condescend to me" or "don't condescend me"

I don't even care about my previous post, I just want to know!

#2053785 - 03/25/13 02:44 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Fixed. (I think?) grin

--

Joel, there was actually nothing wrong with your sentence.

#2053792 - 03/25/13 03:29 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: ando]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando

Fixed. (I think?) grin

--

Joel, there was actually nothing wrong with your sentence.

I give up.

#2053840 - 03/25/13 07:39 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

And capitalism says: As long as there are people willing to shell out good money for quality acoustic instruments, they (the acoustic instruments) won't die out.

The instruments that will possibly die out are the cheaply made acoustic instruments, with mediocre sound and not-so-great action. Because these instruments don't offer more value for their money than good digital pianos. But who knows; maybe people who buy pianos will somehow still like acoustic instruments.

That's why capitalism is good: It gives people a choice as to decide what will survive in the market.

No, that is not "why capitalism is good" - it's merely an assertion of some beliefs you have about the marketplace and about people and about musical instruments. To me, it amounts to "why capitalism is bad", because there's a false relationship between demand, worth, and cost.

A flaw in the premise that immediately pops into mind is this: the people who may find the most value in an instrument (or whatever) and can get the most use out of it, may also be the least able to afford that item. It's quite possible for something that has worth to the culture as a whole to fail in the marketplace.

#2053867 - 03/25/13 08:39 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: wr]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: wr

No, that is not "why capitalism is good" - it's merely an assertion of some beliefs you have about the marketplace and about people and about musical instruments. To me, it amounts to "why capitalism is bad", because there's a false relationship between demand, worth, and cost.

A flaw in the premise that immediately pops into mind is this: the people who may find the most value in an instrument (or whatever) and can get the most use out of it, may also be the least able to afford that item. It's quite possible for something that has worth to the culture as a whole to fail in the marketplace.

Unfortunately, the only objective, universal measure of "value" that we have is money. By that measure, the people who find the most value in instruments (or anything else) are the people willing to pay the most for them.

Beyond that, there are various private and subjective measures of "value" capable of yielding any sort of argumentative conclusion clearly implied by the premises with which one begins the argument.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2053881 - 03/25/13 09:12 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: BruceD]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past

... "dude"?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2053932 - 03/25/13 10:57 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA

Fixed. (I think?) grin

--

Well, since you ask, "condescend" is a verb while "condescending" is an adjective. People can condescend, but they cannot condescending. People can, however, be condescending.

#2053941 - 03/25/13 11:12 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: the nosy ape]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: the nosy ape

Fixed. (I think?) grin

--

Well, since you ask, "condescend" is a verb while "condescending" is an adjective. People can condescend, but they cannot condescending. People can, however, be condescending.

Not true. It is perfectly acceptable to use the verb as a present participle with an "ing" ending.

Example: I'm tired of people speaking to me like I'm a child.

The word speaking can be an adjective, but in this case, it functions as a verb and an alternative to the following sentence:

I'm of people who speak to me like I'm a child.

The use of "condescending" as a present participle makes it a verb in a continuously active form. It happens all the time in all sorts of situation.

I'm tired of driving to work.
I'm sick of people complaining.

It's the same thing as Joel's sentence.

#2053942 - 03/25/13 11:12 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: the nosy ape]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes I understand that but I was asking about whether or not to use 'to' after 'condescend', see the edit in my post you quoted.

#2053947 - 03/25/13 11:26 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

... "dude"?

Isn't Joel a "dude"?

#2053949 - 03/25/13 11:27 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline

Yes I understand that but I was asking about whether or not to use 'to' after 'condescend', see the edit in my post you quoted.

The usual expression is to be condescending towards someone.

Regards,

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
77064 Members
42 Forums
159386 Topics
2341313 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission