Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2048514 - 03/15/13 02:15 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: debrucey]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Amazes me the guys who chip in with derogatory comments! I can see this being one of the most popular postings. So the OP has something right! I think it`s a good question for those who are still bewitched by antiquity enough to sell their souls to it . . . Well, actually, buy. Because you never stop paying with an acoustic . . .

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2048518 - 03/15/13 02:31 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: peterws]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: peterws
I can see this being one of the most popular postings.

That's because it is. Every week, a new "which one is closer" or "this or this" thread.

I say that out of love. I know this is what forums are [used] for - but it does get a bit tiresome.

Nothing replaces in-person judgment and personal taste.

Edited by LesCharles73 (03/15/13 02:33 AM)

#2048524 - 03/15/13 03:10 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
If you close your eyes and listen carefully, you can hear Gyro's suggestion ...

#2048531 - 03/15/13 03:32 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Dr Popper]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
It was a stupid question for somebody who has been following the forum at all ...let alone lurking for three years. I'm sick of people asking dumb questions or worse making idiotic statements (a certain newbie here comes to mind ...99% of his posts are either stupid questions or idiotic statements) .... if these fools read a bit first they wouldn't have to ask such obvious things.

Perhaps we should just make the entire forum "read only" and instead of a "like" button we could have an "incense" button where people could demonstrate their humble and respectful reverence for the infallible and unsurpassed wisdom contained in the posts already existing?

I took a break from this place for quite a while. Did me good. perhaps some of our other esteemed contributors would be well-served by a time-out? No sense getting your blood pressure up over something so unimportant.

#2048534 - 03/15/13 03:52 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: bennevis]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
It also gives the user the ability to customize several parameters to his liking, ... Most of those parameters are adjustable from -100 to +100, so there's a huge range to fine-tune to the sound and response you want.

Not impressive until they provide -110 to +110. The volume control is probably only 0-10 instead of 0-11 too!

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2048539 - 03/15/13 04:07 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: xorbe]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: xorbe

I miss Gyro ... He was the village idiot but at least he was entertaining and he was our village idiot ...

#2048554 - 03/15/13 05:00 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: LesCharles73]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Thing is, most asking for advice are new. So the questions will always be similar. One does not have to answer. But verbal pugilistics are fun.

""

#2048569 - 03/15/13 05:51 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Macy]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Macy
It also gives the user the ability to customize several parameters to his liking, ... Most of those parameters are adjustable from -100 to +100, so there's a huge range to fine-tune to the sound and response you want.

Not impressive until they provide -110 to +110. The volume control is probably only 0-10 instead of 0-11 too!

The volume control dial has very fine stepped notches. I counted to 111 before I nodded off......

I wonder sometimes if people who have no interest in playing acoustic pianos might be better off just looking for and buying a DP whose sound and action they like, rather than one that seems closest to that of an acoustic piano, with its over-resonant muddy sound (especially as soon as you put your foot on the pedal) due to too much soundboard and cross-resonances, graded keyweight and 'notchy' key action due to the escapement mechanism. The latter two are purely artifacts of the mechanical nature of an acoustic piano. Reading through many posts from DP users, it appears that many people want clear, clean, bright sound from their DPs, which isn't what you get from acoustics.

So, why bother to look for the 'closest' thing to an acoustic if you don't play on acoustics?

#2048571 - 03/15/13 05:54 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Dr Popper]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper

I miss Gyro ... He was the village idiot but at least he was entertaining and he was our village idiot ...

Who else could play all of those "concertos" and "jazz" on a $600 Williams digital?

#2048573 - 03/15/13 05:58 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You mean Big-Time Romantic Era Piano Concertos?

The secret is playing them one bar at a time, slowly.

#2048574 - 03/15/13 05:59 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: bennevis]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I wonder sometimes if people who have no interest in playing acoustic pianos might be better off just looking for and buying a DP whose sound and action they like, rather than one that seems closest to that of an acoustic piano, with its over-resonant muddy sound (especially as soon as you put your foot on the pedal) due to too much soundboard and cross-resonances, graded keyweight and 'notchy' key action due to the escapement mechanism. The latter two are purely artifacts of the mechanical nature of an acoustic piano. Reading through many posts from DP users, it appears that many people want clear, clean, bright sound from their DPs, which isn't what you get from acoustics.

@bennevis,

I do agree with what you say here, as digital pianos offer a lot to the player in their own right, as comparisons to acoustics do not have to be made if you happen to like the digital that you have tried, or, want to buy.

Also, the escapement (or, let-off) feature is not that important either if you want a nice and smooth weighted action without the click/notch simulation. Many digitals (like my lowly Kawai EP3) play just fine, without it.

#2048575 - 03/15/13 06:06 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, this is the dp AND KEYBOARDS forum.

There used to be a movement of people learning keyboard instead of piano ( just like there was a movement before that of people learning home organs ). Here we seem to get mostly people wanting a piano substitute on the cheap, a silent practice instrument or a gigging instrument.

#2048576 - 03/15/13 06:07 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: theJourney]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: theJourney
You mean Big-Time Romantic Era Piano Concertos?

The secret is playing them one bar at a time, slowly.

Absolutely... until you can master the piece, 10 years later.

#2048577 - 03/15/13 06:09 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Escapement is vital to sensitive playing of classical music, if that is your background.

#2048583 - 03/15/13 06:23 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: debrucey]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
Escapement is vital to sensitive playing of classical music, if that is your background.

I agree, but it isn't most people's background here.

I always find it very odd that Clavinovas don't have the escapement 'notch' feel, yet (apparently) they're used as practice instruments in many music colleges, including the RCM and RAM.

#2048585 - 03/15/13 06:43 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: bennevis]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I always find it very odd that Clavinovas don't have the escapement 'notch' feel, yet (apparently) it's used as a practice instrument in many music colleges, including the RCM and RAM.

However, the older (now obsolete) CLP-990 does have the escapement simulation, although this is a digital I am looking for now (in my other post) although I am afraid it is going to be quite difficult to find one, since it dates from 2001.

Here is a video that demonstrates the escapement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D62G49_Rws

Go to the 55 and 1:10 second marks.

#2048809 - 03/15/13 05:20 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: bennevis]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Macy

The volume control dial has very fine stepped notches. I counted to 111 before I nodded off......

Hmm, I wonder if you didn't get my joke, or if I don't get yours ....?

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2048812 - 03/15/13 05:26 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
The Clavinovas in RNCM are all quite old and were probably not the best of their range when they were bought either. I can't speak for RCM and RAM.

#2048818 - 03/15/13 06:00 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
My Yamaha PSR 225 has a pretty nice piano sound wink
Ok its old but so am I, and I cant have a piano at the moment...

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2048943 - 03/16/13 12:23 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Dr Popper]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU

Some people are sick of people who are sick of people.

#2048960 - 03/16/13 01:40 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Temperament]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Temperament

Some people are sick of people who are sick of people.

Sounds like a Streisand number.

#2048966 - 03/16/13 01:56 AM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2049295 - 03/16/13 07:26 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: theJourney]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
I didn't know about such a resemblance, but at the end I'll have to pay heavy royalties to her for this...

To coin memes is just a privilege - sometimes a rewarding one.

#2050505 - 03/18/13 09:33 PM Re: Digital Piano close to the capabilities of a real piano. [Re: Amos]
Amos Offline

Thank you so much for your replies. The quest to fulfill one's desire and need is
endless. I'm sure without an iota of doubt this topic will help someone realise their need. Bearing in mind as we all strive for perfection, nothing on this planet is perfect.

I'm considering purchasing one between the following shortlist of DP's, Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP 480/470 and CP1 due to my budget. Can't afford the following Yamaha N1-3 as I heard they're good range of DPs.

"Kudos to all the sheep amongst the wolves and to the Platos of this forum."
I'm open to your advice.
Regards,
Amos

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
09/16/14 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (255, AEMontoya, 36251, ando, 32 invisible), 1238 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157568 Topics
2314442 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission