Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2048725 - 03/15/13 02:14 PM any mathematical signal experts?
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
If you have 2 *.wav files (or pcm wave data, whatever), what is the proper way to sum them? Seems like straight addition would cause clipping in a hurry, and 2+2=4 but that leads to a quadruple in power, not a doubling right? And is a *.wav sine wave with amplitude 32000 twice as loud as 16000 or what -- what's the relationship (loudness or power).

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2048823 - 03/15/13 06:17 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xorbe
If you have 2 *.wav files (or pcm wave data, whatever), what is the proper way to sum them? Seems like straight addition would cause clipping in a hurry, and 2+2=4 but that leads to a quadruple in power, not a doubling right? And is a *.wav sine wave with amplitude 32000 twice as loud as 16000 or what -- what's the relationship (loudness or power).

When you sum wave files, it is important to first reduce the amplitudes of each file so that the sum will not clip. Check out Audacity. The online manual and wiki links provides much help in solving your problem.

#2048835 - 03/15/13 06:52 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm working on real time synthesis generation, so simply slashing the first signal in half suddenly would sound bad on the introduction of a second wave source. I guess I'll hit the Audacity forum to see if the answer is just A+B. That's how I've always done it, but I got to thinking maybe that was incorrect possibly, but I can't derive anything else that would work. 16 bits is not a lot ...

#2048854 - 03/15/13 08:04 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
You just sum the numbers in the .WAV file. Audio mixers just add voltages together; you need to do the same.

16 bits may not seems like a lot, but it's something like a 90 dB range from hex "0001" to "FFFF".

Audacity's _internal_ representation use 32-bit _floating point_ numbers, which is more than enough.

24-bit sound cards _use_ 24 bits (fixed-point, not floating-point)because some of those bits are going to be "lost" during editing, levelling, and so on.

. Charles

#2048856 - 03/15/13 08:07 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
Wess. Chr. K. Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
0db+0db=+6db

This is the equitation if the 2 picks are reaching 0db simultaneously each one (which happens only theoretically).

If you have 2 audio files with pick level of 0 db and you want to mix them together just put the leveler to -3 of each stereo file and export or bounce them realtime.
That is it.
-3.5 db is good for precaution.

#2048908 - 03/15/13 10:38 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, but this is for my software dp kernel, and there can be a LOT more than 2 keys sounding at a time ... like, I need to knock it back to 12 bits to handle the summation of say 16 notes (the other 4 bits, 2^4) as a reasonable peak.

#2049471 - 03/17/13 03:16 AM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: xorbe]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
Yes, but this is for my software dp kernel, and there can be a LOT more than 2 keys sounding at a time ... like, I need to knock it back to 12 bits to handle the summation of say 16 notes (the other 4 bits, 2^4) as a reasonable peak.

That's why Audacity uses 32-bit _floating-point_ numbers, not fixed-point numbers, for all its internal manipulations.

You should do the same.

[I have an old memory that digital synths (e.g., the DX-7) with 12-bit or 16-bit computational sound generators could get into problems with "graininess". It's a peculiar digital artifact, and doesn't sound nice. ]

. charles

#2049549 - 03/17/13 08:37 AM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: Charles Cohen]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
[I have an old memory that digital synths (e.g., the DX-7) with 12-bit or 16-bit computational sound generators could get into problems with "graininess". It's a peculiar digital artifact, and doesn't sound nice. ]

The DX-7 chips did many calculations in the log domain so that multiplications were simple additions. IIRC, earlier models used 12 bit converters, giving an SNR of ~12 bits * 6dB = 72 dB. I don't believe any of them tried to control aliasing.

#2049749 - 03/17/13 03:45 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: Charles Cohen]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's why Audacity uses 32-bit _floating-point_ numbers, not fixed-point numbers, for all its internal manipulations.

You should do the same.

Well, I use 32-bit int with the value shifted up by 8. That gives me resolution to 0.004 and 7 bits of headroom at the top, plus int operations are quicker than fp, though maybe I am out of date wrt new simd fp instructions (added to todo list). But all of that is not the problem.

The problem is at the end where the output value to the sound card is -32768 to 32767, and the final temp value that's held (as 32-bit fp or 32-bit fixed point int) is out of that range. I can think of a few strategies to deal with this:

(1) Scale the final output such that a single key peaks at 12 bits, etc.
(2) Some sort of gradual signal compression that equates 32767 with a larger value.
(3) Some combination of 1 and 2.
(4) Buy a 24-bit sound card.

#2052679 - 03/22/13 07:03 PM Re: any mathematical signal experts? [Re: Charles Cohen]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

16 bits may not seems like a lot, but it's something like a 90 dB range from hex "0001" to "FFFF".

This is a very interesting read, and demonstrates a -105dB tone using only 16 bits:
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
09/18/14 10:18 PM
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Who's Online
109 registered (AnnR, anamnesis, 7notemode, andriy555, A Guy, accordeur, 31 invisible), 1107 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157616 Topics
2315142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission