Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2048959 - 03/16/13 01:35 AM 1919 Ridgeway Piano?
Jfilm Offline

I'm looking for info on a Ridgeway piano. I think it might be a stencil name, but perhaps not. I did some quick research and found a company called Ridgeway making quality player pianos, but they started in the 20's and this one is from 1919. It says "Ridgeway - New York". Does anyone know about this company? The piano is not a player. Inside are the words "upright grand". I will post the serial number soon.

Ridgeway.1 ridgeway.4

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2049247 - 03/16/13 05:34 PM Re: 1919 Ridgeway Piano? [Re: Jfilm]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
The Pierce Piano Atlas says that Ridgeways were made in New York for the O. K. Houck Piano Co. of Memphis, TN. The listing for Houck of St. Louis says its pianos were made by "Blasius". Blasius & Sons says "see Albrecht, Phila, PA, and Rice-wuest (?), Woodbury, NJ". Albrecht goes back to 1789, some of the earliest pianos in America.

You can ask Pierce for more info at www.pianoatlas.com.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#2049337 - 03/16/13 08:40 PM Re: 1919 Ridgeway Piano? [Re: Jfilm]
fishbulb Offline

It says here here that "In 1887, the Blasius & Sons Piano Company purchased the Charles Albrecht Company" so the 1915 Ridgeway was probably made by Blasius, not Albrecht.

There is a little about Blasius here, but no mention of Ridgeway. It is possible that the Ridgeway brand was created by Blasius as a lower-priced line of pianos, but that is just speculation on my part.

I understand from your other post that you are trying to decide which piano to keep - the Weber or the Ridgeway.

There are several signs just from the casework that the Weber is a higher quality piano. Weber pianos were among the best made in their day - the company and its pianos were in the same class as Steinway, Chickering, and Knabe (at least through 1903 when Weber merged with Aeolian, but Weber was still Aeolian's flagship brand).

If you can take off the upper, front panel of both pianos, and take some pictures of the insides and action of both, it will help as well, but really only an expert is going to be able to evaluate them both in person. It sounds like that your piano tech likes the Weber. Has he or she inspected the Ridgeway?
How do the two pianos play? How do they sound?

#2052412 - 03/22/13 11:40 AM Re: 1919 Ridgeway Piano? [Re: fishbulb]
Jfilm Offline

I've got some more info on the Ridgeway piano: inside is a label that says "Bjur Bros." It is a warranty statement. The serial number is 27618. It also says "Patented March 19, 1907. Down near the action is a metal bar with the words "Peerless Action". I've done a few searches, but haven't found a connection between the Bjur Bros. company and the name Ridgewood. Does anyone know of any other names that company used? Thanks. As for the Weber vs. Ridgeway, I would only keep the Ridgeway because it's been in the family since the 1930's. There is no comparison on the sound- the Weber is much better. The Ridgeway has an extremely light feel to the action, and everything echoes a bit. I bought the Weber because I didn't like how the Ridgeway sounded in the first place. The pianos are both being stored at my family home, and I've since moved out, so it's really a matter of whether or not I'll ever be able to move the Weber out of the house to wherever I end up, and whether or not it's worth it to do so.

#2052433 - 03/22/13 12:20 PM Re: 1919 Ridgeway Piano? [Re: Jfilm]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
With old pianos, condition is generally more important than who built it. Apart from the fact that one piano has a history with your family, neither of them sound like something that could not be easily replaced in this market. Old pianos are going for free or cheap. Instead of investing money in an old piano to move it across the country, it makes sense to find something locally and put a few hundred into piano servicing.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
178 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, Almaviva, A Guy, 52 invisible), 1861 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
Today at 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
Today at 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
Today at 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
Today at 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission