Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2101775 - 06/12/13 11:42 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: anotherscott]
sabored Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
...optional speaker module that could be purchased and dropped into the chassis for those who want it.

I wish.

Maybe we can beg Casio to build a few!
Who's with me? laugh

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2101784 - 06/13/13 12:07 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: sabored]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sabored
...optional speaker module that could be purchased and dropped into the chassis for those who want it.

I wish.

Maybe we can beg Casio to build a few!
Who's with me? laugh

Well, I doubt it could be done now after the fact, but it would have been nice if it had been designed with that in mind.

#2101791 - 06/13/13 12:51 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Maybe something like the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II or the mini version would sit comfortably on the battery cover. The battery is rechargeable, too, and so it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged in.

#2101945 - 06/13/13 12:20 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
Deltron Offline

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Deltron, personally I'm not overly keen on the speakers in the PX-350, and while it's nice to get a little tactile feedback from the speaker vibrations, if they don't sound good I'd rather use monitors anyway.

As to the user-friendly aspect, for basic use, once you understand the omnipresence of stage settings, it's easy to navigate. Programming can be a much deeper operation, particularly in respect of hex layers. I'm going to take my time on that front, and maybe play around a little using the PC editor - I wouldn't want to edit hex layers from the little LCD screen.

Thanks for the answer voxpops!
Gives me a little confidence that the PX-5S will be the right choice for me.
I have a little Logitech UE speaker that probably could double as a monitor for small jams, but im pretty sure it stops there, haha.

What monitor are you using with it, voxpops?
I am concidering a Rokit 5 monitor. Hopefully one will do for my little room.

#2101960 - 06/13/13 12:47 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
The Rokit 5's are nice monitors, but depending on the sounds you want to create you might want a subwoofer too. I have the Rokit 5's and use them mostly for recording but I have used them on my MOX8.

I'm currently using a Roland CM-220 setup and it sounds great! The speakers will mount on standard microphone stands and I have used them live without issue. They can be real loud if needed.
CM-220 Link

There is also a less powerful version that would work just as well in the home studio. CM-110 Link

#2101981 - 06/13/13 01:24 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Deltron, I have Yamaha HS80M monitors for home use. They're chunky, but very good with regard to fidelity (and don't require a sub). Otherwise, I use either a pair of Roland CM30 monitors for light stage/rehearsal use, a Roland SA300 stage amp for gigs, or Mackie SRM350s.

I'm still trying to learn to love the piano sample in the PX. It has quite a realistic tone to it, but those plinky notes still bug the heck out of me. They're not so noticeable in chords/octaves, but stand out with flashing beacons on them during single note runs. eek If you're trying to play a lyrical melody line, they really grate. Mike Martin's revised piano patch helps smooth them out, but also affects the attack adversely in lower ranges. However, my personal preference may not be the same as yours. A number of people find the metallic attack at high velocities in the Roland SN pianos unacceptable, whereas I can live with that, and, clearly, a lot of PX purchasers are quite happy with the AP patches as they stand. This, though, is where Nord wins (at 3x the price): you don't like the Yamaha sample? Try the Bosendorfer or the Fazioli. If the PX could load an updated sample set, it would truly be the bee's knees!

#2102061 - 06/13/13 04:23 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Count me as one very happy with the AP sounds on the PX-5S
(and the PX-5S in general). As I said earlier when talking about speakers, it's all very subjective and personal. I do hope the hex-layer AP will cure what ails ya'! thumb

#2102220 - 06/13/13 11:09 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maybe something like the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II or the mini version would sit comfortably on the battery cover. The battery is rechargeable, too, and so it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged in.

The SuperTooth Disco also looks like it could be a nice option, in terms of size, specs, and price.

#2102249 - 06/14/13 12:24 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: anotherscott]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

The SuperTooth Disco also looks like it could be a nice option, in terms of size, specs, and price.

If this is the one you are talking about, I like it. The blue LEDs match the PX-5S! Like that retro dial too. cool

Edited by Plinky88 (06/14/13 12:28 AM)

#2102604 - 06/14/13 07:07 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I'm still trying to learn to love the piano sample in the PX. It has quite a realistic tone to it, but those plinky notes still bug the heck out of me. They're not so noticeable in chords/octaves, but stand out with flashing beacons on them during single note runs. eek If you're trying to play a lyrical melody line, they really grate. Mike Martin's revised piano patch helps smooth them out, but also affects the attack adversely in lower ranges.

Oh man, I was hoping they could fix that. Unfortunately, once you hear the "plink" you can't un-hear it; and it just gets worse with repeated listening.

#2102762 - 06/15/13 03:38 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
sabored Offline

...would sit comfortably on the battery cover.

Would anyone mind taking measurements of the battery cover/free space available near the battery cover?

Edited by sabored (06/15/13 04:21 AM)

#2102786 - 06/15/13 05:44 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: sabored]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sabored
...would sit comfortably on the battery cover.

Would anyone mind taking measurements of the battery cover/free space available near the battery cover?

The battery cover is about 10 1/2" x 4". You can get away with using a peripheral with a slightly larger footprint. The battery cover has a textured, almost rubberized surface so the grip is good, but I use a little Velcro to make sure my BR-800 stays in place.

#2104799 - 06/19/13 09:34 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

Tonight at 7:30pm EST, I'll be doing a LIVE online clinic on the PX-5S. So if you have questions or there is something specific you'd like to see or hear, this is the time. This event will be recorded and then posted over on YouTube afterward. This format relies on your questions...otherwise you'll just see me staring into a camera. help

The event will be live at www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

When you get there you have to create an ustream account, then to the right of the video there is a Social Stream tab where you can type questions.

I hope to see you there.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2104800 - 06/19/13 09:44 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
thumb

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2104909 - 06/19/13 02:26 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

Update to my post above:
I found an option in Ustream so I've changed things. There is now a CHAT window next to the video. I removed the "Social Stream". I have also allowed anonymous people in the chat. So you can ask questions without having to link a Facebook or Ustream account.

Casio Music Forums

#2104958 - 06/19/13 05:08 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Deltron]
Tritium Offline

Loc: Western MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Deltron
Deltron, personally I'm not overly keen on the speakers in the PX-350, and while it's nice to get a little tactile feedback from the speaker vibrations, if they don't sound good I'd rather use monitors anyway.

As to the user-friendly aspect, for basic use, once you understand the omnipresence of stage settings, it's easy to navigate. Programming can be a much deeper operation, particularly in respect of hex layers. I'm going to take my time on that front, and maybe play around a little using the PC editor - I wouldn't want to edit hex layers from the little LCD screen.

Thanks for the answer voxpops!
Gives me a little confidence that the PX-5S will be the right choice for me.
I have a little Logitech UE speaker that probably could double as a monitor for small jams, but im pretty sure it stops there, haha.

What monitor are you using with it, voxpops?
I am concidering a Rokit 5 monitor. Hopefully one will do for my little room.

Another recommendation I would make is for a Yamaha MSR100. Incredible value for the buck, and sounds terrific. I only use one of these, as I am not overly concerned with "stereo" imaging when playing a digital piano. I have never been let down by Yamaha products.

Also, out of left field...in the possibility that you also are a guitarist, then you might want to look at the Yamaha THR10. It is a modeling amp that has the form factor of a boom box, but is based around high quality FRFR speakers. So, you can use it either as a practice guitar amp, or, if you set the amp sim to "flat", it is perfect for a personal keyboard amp.

Cheers,
John

#2120176 - 07/19/13 01:43 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: voxpops]
Momo As Offline

Loc: Vienna/Austria

Im searchin for Speakers like the built in speakerd in the Kawai Es7, If you possibly heard them, would you say that the Bose Soundlink or another one would do the job? cause the speakers on the Es7 are perfect/enough for MY needs. So instead of waiting for a new modell of the Px5s with built in speakers, would you recommend me some battery powered speakers which I just could put on top the Px5s?

#2122511 - 07/24/13 08:35 PM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: CyberGene]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a preview of Stephane Deriau-Reine's new album, featuring the Casio PX-5S. All the music on the album will be made with the 5S, with the exception of the bass and drums.

#2147824 - 09/10/13 06:27 PM Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tune in Thursday, September 12, 7:00pm eastern time at:
http://ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

smile

#2147834 - 09/10/13 06:56 PM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Lol that's awesome, Mike is top notch.

#2147845 - 09/10/13 07:28 PM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: xorbe]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: xorbe
Lol that's awesome, Mike is top notch.

+1

#2147848 - 09/10/13 07:33 PM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
9000 Post Club Member

Very cool!

(both the live clinic, and the cool anime characterisation)

James
x

#2147944 - 09/10/13 11:29 PM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
Mike_Martin Offline

The graphics department did that on their own...without any input from me. LMAO. I never thought I'd be a cartoon.

Casio Music Forums

#2147955 - 09/10/13 11:46 PM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
9000 Post Club Member

Wow, nice. wink

I reckon you should use the head as your profile pic. wink

I might have to ask the folks here if they'll do something similar for me. wink

James
x

#2148035 - 09/11/13 04:41 AM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Fabulous ! Mike will have his own cartoon series; he's starting to become a real celebrity , time for a late night show's appearance ;-)

Great idea such clinics ; proves (again) how involved Casio - and especially Mike - is with the end-users of their gear. Yammie / Roland / Korg pay attention !

#2148105 - 09/11/13 09:28 AM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: voxpops]
Mike_Martin Offline

I have a similar one from Sony that I used exactly for that purpose when I was in a pinch and didn't have anything besides headphones. Worked perfectly.

Casio Music Forums

#2148124 - 09/11/13 10:09 AM Re: I have a Casio PX-5S GAS [Re: Scott Hamlin]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Plinky88

If this is the one you are talking about, I like it. The blue LEDs match the PX-5S! Like that retro dial too. cool

I ended up trying one of those out and was not impressed. I'd like to try out the Bose some time.

#2148126 - 09/11/13 10:15 AM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
haha, fine

PX-5S or PX-850 shall be my next DP, after many years of Yamy DGX-620. Kawai is out of reach here in Brazil and Roland is insanely expensive. Casio is all the rage these days and got some terrific new gear. I'm also sold by the passion Mike pours into the videos :thumbsup:

Edited by Doritos Flavoured (09/11/13 10:17 AM)

my piano haiku

#2149357 - 09/13/13 11:14 AM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: CyberGene]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It looks like this might be a very nice speaker to pair with a PX-5S

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

The connections are on the back, but it looks like you could still lie the speaker down over the battery cover, and just let the connections essentially hang over the back of the PX-5S.

And darn, I missed Mike's presentation last night!

#2149371 - 09/13/13 11:31 AM Re: Casio PX-5S Live Clinic with Mike Martin [Re: anotherscott]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

And darn, I missed Mike's presentation last night!

No worries, you can catch it anytime on YouTube. smile
Mike goes over: quick layering, hexlayer creation, arpeggiator editing and using the phrase sequencer. Great clinic, Mike. Thanks!

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
23 minutes 56 seconds ago
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
78 registered (beet31425, ando, AtomicBond, Boblalux, blugee, 14 invisible), 1103 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319478 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission