Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2046718 - 03/11/13 10:26 PM In Praise of the Yamaha CP250
RonL Offline

Went to a jazz jam tonight, the host, a sax player, had a Yamaha CP250 so I all I showed up with was my Real Book. And I have to say:

I get it.

Sweet board. I only played a couple of the piano sounds but I can see why so many people like it. Nice feel, nice sound.

but it would win the Laurens B Hammond award for portability. Yikes. It looks like it weighs 100 pounds though I think it weighs in at 72. Still for at home you could do worse. Nice board.

Edited by RonL (03/12/13 08:57 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2046726 - 03/11/13 10:37 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Yes, I believe the CP250 is the precursor to the CP300, which despite its vintage, still receives very favourable reviews - especially for its powerful speaker system.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2046737 - 03/11/13 11:04 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
I think you mean the P250 not the CP250? If so, I have one and it's a mighty beast (heavy!). It has sounds which are a bit dated (no comparison to my Nord in terms of sound quality), but they're still useable. I don't play in a band, but the P250 seems to have a good reputation for cutting through a mix. What I can say is that it has a wonderful action. It also has a huge flat surface area with unobtrusive buttons that make it perfect for resting a laptop on it. I was actually playing around with it this weekend trying to run pianoteq into its speakers but was getting some obnoxious ground loop that I'm going to have to sort out. In any case, I agree that it's a great board.

#2046776 - 03/12/13 01:05 AM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
o0Ampy0o Offline

P-250:

#2046870 - 03/12/13 08:59 AM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
RonL Offline

p-250 not CP250 - I knew that! Yamaha threw me off when the next model was the CP300.

#2046882 - 03/12/13 09:38 AM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Played my old PF500 a few months ago when I was in the UK. That was the home version of the P-250. Even though the samples seem a little crude by today's standards, it is still very playable, and beautifully constructed.

#2047053 - 03/12/13 03:45 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
mitzysman Offline

I still have my p250, but I mostly play the galaxy pianos through it. Mine has an updated keybed... i liked the original keybed a little better. It wasn't as fast but it had a better connection to the onboard yamaha sounds... but the funny thing - the new keyboad has a better velocity curve and feel for the galaxy stuff. And I run my VST's though the onboard speakers too and it sounds really good and you get the vibration through the keys.

I'm thinking of the CA65 or AvantGrand N1 to replace what I have someday. Played the AvantGrands the other day and they were pretty awesome. Played a real C3X and that was even better - wow what a piano. the only thing nicer in the store that day was a certain Steinway B and there were some serious pianos in that store.

#2047058 - 03/12/13 03:52 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: o0Ampy0o]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I could live wi that. How much will it sting me for?

""

#2047078 - 03/12/13 04:34 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: peterws]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#2047089 - 03/12/13 04:46 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
peterws,
They occasionally show up on ebay, and typically they sell for around $700ish when they do. Yamaha (I think it was them) also used to sell a customized hard travel case for it. Sometimes those show up on ebay as well, but they remain rather pricey.

#2047324 - 03/12/13 10:42 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
ahhsmurf Offline

Loc: Banned
I was actually playing around with it this weekend trying to run pianoteq into its speakers but was getting some obnoxious ground loop that I'm going to have to sort out.

#2047538 - 03/13/13 09:11 AM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
i have a p-250. its built like a tank and weighs in slightly less than one. I'm thinking about having it recycled into a small car.

it still sounds very nice and offers a lot of flexibility. i really liked its 16 track sequencer and it has sophisticated layering capabilities that are reasonably intuitive to set up. i took it to my church to play christmas hymns for our Sunday morning church class. its still sitting in the classroom because i cant motivate myself to lug it home. right now its doing a great job working as an end table for our visiting speakers.

I'm thinking about selling it wholesale to guitar center/sam hash or giving it to my class to replace the piece of junk upright that resides in the room. Just too much of a beast and i already have another beast that i use for a controller. my wife has warned me not to turn our recreation room into an electronics museum. i'd like to get something under 40 lbs to replace it one of these days. Am hoping the P155 gets an update soon that gives it the same piano samples in the P105. i think that would be a nice board and light enough to travel.

i saw Michael McDonald on a video playing the predecessor P-200 and i really liked it and that's how i wound up with the P250. very nice piece of equipment- was fairly priced and obviously made to last a long,long time. but just too much weight.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2047951 - 03/13/13 11:49 PM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: RonL]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I still have a CP300 lying around .... Very nice board ... Fantastic controller and the only slab with decent speakers

#2049022 - 03/16/13 07:09 AM Re: In Praise of the Yamaha CP250 [Re: Dr Popper]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
I still have a CP300 lying around .... Very nice board ... Fantastic controller and the only slab with decent speakers

yes, the onboard speakers are outstanding. hook up a subwoofer to complement them and you've got a nice full-range sound.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (Atrys, a_dee, ADWyatt, AZ_Astro, 27 invisible), 1334 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153491 Topics
2249184 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
2 minutes 26 seconds ago
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission