2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by outo

And why would anyone want a grand as furniture? No matter how much I want one they are actually pretty ugly things...

Status and identity, I think.

I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
There's only so much you can do with a pair of speakers. I don't see any way to cure this shortcoming; you need all of the heavy, earthen and organic material of a piano to replicate the full experience for your audience.

I think this is crucial - speakers simply are not the same kind of sound-producing vehicle as a piano. No matter how good they get, at least using the concepts currently in use, they just don't move the air in the same way as an acoustic piano does. It's physically impossible.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think the huge percentage of pianists, including those on this thread who hate the sound of digitals/hybrids, would have difficulty telling the difference in a blind test.

Cher, it's not the sound of a digital I hate (though I'm not wild about it)-it's the feel. I keep one at my elderly parents' home to practice on when I'm down there. Yes, it has weighted keys but it still feels like some sort of toy compared to my not particularly grand acoustic.

This is no longer an issue with modern digital pianos.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
There's only so much you can do with a pair of speakers. I don't see any way to cure this shortcoming; you need all of the heavy, earthen and organic material of a piano to replicate the full experience for your audience.

I think this is crucial - speakers simply are not the same kind of sound-producing vehicle as a piano. No matter how good they get, at least using the concepts currently in use, they just don't move the air in the same way as an acoustic piano does. It's physically impossible.

Human hearing is only so good. It's theoretically possible to have a speaker system good enough that the ears will be deceived.

Last edited by debrucey; 03/16/13 09:46 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

And why would anyone want a grand as furniture? No matter how much I want one they are actually pretty ugly things...

What!?
I think they'e beautiful.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey

What!?
I think they'e beautiful.
Of course. They're incredibly beautiful which is one reason, and a perfectly valid one IMO, that some only get them as furniture.

Originally Posted by wr

Human hearing is only so good. It's theoretically impossible to have a speaker system good enough that the ears will be deceived.
I think you meant "possible".

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd assume based on how fast technology is advancing that any problems/shortcomings in this area using current methods will eventually be worked out.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Haha yes sorry I meant possible. I didn't mean necessarily possible with todays technology, but it is within the realms of possibility.

Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by SBP
I hope they don't.

Personally, I hope that acoustics will evolve away from the loud beasts they are today. That would sure make them more pleasant to play for long periods :P

This is an excellent point.

Why should all quality grands be more appropriate for the concert hall than home?
If everyone agreed with you, no one would be buying those pianos for their home. I have a Mason Hamlin BB in a tiny living room and it is not too loud. I do realize that sometimes pianos can be too loud for their spaces, but it is certainly not always the case.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/16/13 09:51 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1) No digital piano can ever recreate the same presence of acoustic grands.

2) Machine-made electric grands will all be 100% identical to each other. You can't even say this about machine made grand pianos, which leads me to my third point.

3) People love the uniqueness of organic instruments. Every Steinway is different in tone, touch, character, everything. This is hugely important.

Instruments have been made organically for thousands of years; I don't think this will ever change. I just think raw materials will always beat synthetic ones when it comes to music. Sure pop and some e-music (electronic music) genres do everything with computers and sampling, but I don't believe that this will ever dominate organic instruments.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

And a small box-like plastic/particle board digital with a fake finish looks better than a beautiful acoustic grand in a formal living room??? grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

And a small box-like plastic/particle board digital with a fake finish looks better than a beautiful acoustic grand in a formal living room??? grin

I think those AvantGrands are quite ugly. It looks like a 3 foot grand piano. I believe if you look up 'ugly' in Websters you will find a picture of one.

And I agree with Mark and Debrucey. Real grand pianos are gorgeous. When I walk into a piano store my eyes light up like a kid in a candy shop.

Last edited by JoelW; 03/16/13 11:27 AM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JoelW

Never is a long time. I remember when similar comments about sound and feel have been made that have been surpassed.

2) Machine-made electric grands will all be 100% identical to each other. You can't even say this about machine made grand pianos, which leads me to my third point.

There are wide variety of parameters on some digital keyboards that go a long way toward personalizing the piano. They are also not the same in ways that are not as charming as an acoustic but at least prove they are not identical to each other.

3) People love the uniqueness of organic instruments. Every Steinway is different in tone, touch, character, everything. This is hugely important.

People also love saving money. Digital pianos are often a fraction of the cost and never need tuning. (that $100 a pop around here).

Another thing people love is space. A digital piano takes much less of it than a grand piano.

Also, some of us who use the instrument to make money, find the ability to move it, invaluable.

I believe if it weren't for rich people that like the snob appeal of a grand piano as furniture, they would already be gone....maybe. smile

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline

What!?
I think they're beautiful.

++
I can't believe it took that long for anyone to start countering it.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C

What!?

++

I found the comment to ridiculous to respond. wink

Part of the differences between Steinways is usually attributed to quality control/manufacturing inconsistencies although this has apparently improved significantly in recent years. Other makers of the highest category are generally more consistent in touch and tone although there are still differences that could make someone choose one piano of the same make and model over another.

Hybrids already have the possibility of being adjusted in terms of their touch like any acoustic piano and are not therefore all exactly the same. In terms of variety of tone, I think digitals/hybrids already have some possibility for tonal adjustmentts based on the wishes of the performer and can certainly imagine that the options in this area could increase dramatically as non acoustic instruments develop. I can imagine a point where a non acoustic could have thousands of different high level pianos sampled and a performer could choose among those.

I can imagine a point where a non acoustic could have thousands of different high level pianos sampled and a performer could choose among those.

True - but the "samples" come from high level acoustics. So if acoustics go away, it may be challenging in the future to get the samples...in which case, everyone loses.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Mark_C

What!?

++

I found the comment to ridiculous to respond. wink

I am in shock! The thought of describing a grand piano as ugly..no I just cant picture it! :()

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
I can imagine a point where a non acoustic could have thousands of different high level pianos sampled and a performer could choose among those.

True - but the "samples" come from high level acoustics. So if acoustics go away, it may be challenging in the future to get the samples...in which case, everyone loses.

Well they won't go away.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Pianoloverus:

Part of the differences between Steinways is usually attributed to quality control/manufacturing inconsistencies although this has apparently improved significantly in recent years. Other makers of the highest category are generally more consistent in touch and tone although there are still differences that could make someone choose one piano of the same make and model over another.

Hybrids already have the possibility of being adjusted in terms of their touch like any acoustic piano and are not therefore all exactly the same. In terms of variety of tone, I think digitals/hybrids already have some possibility for tonal adjustmentts based on the wishes of the performer and can certainly imagine that the options in this area could increase dramatically as non acoustic instruments develop. I can imagine a point where a non acoustic could have thousands of different high level pianos sampled and a performer could choose among those.

That's fair. But what about the actual presence? A 9' concert Steinway has godly presence. It's insane. I don't see how speakers on a little AvantGrand-type instrument could ever match the raw experience of a 9' resonating beast. With real grand pianos, the entire piano is the speaker. All of it vibrates, not just the soundboard. I just don't see electric pianos ever being able to capture that, and if they could, it seems like they'd be too big and too expensive to have the luxury of inexpensiveness and portability. It seems like they would just be building an electric 9'. And even then would it match the raw power and organic experience of the real 9' grand's presence? I'm just not convinced.

I think the problem is when we try to match an electric instrument to an organic instrument. When the goal is to make the fake one sound like the real one, the fake one with never be as good as the real one because it's always an imitation. This is why the piano did away with the harpsichord. It wasn't just an imitation, it was an improvement. Electric pianos serve a good purpose but I think their place in music needs to be acknowledged. They do what they do well but they won't ever be a 9' Steinway.

This is all my opinion! smile

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission