2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
piano shall thrive
amazing invention
one of the wonders of human creation

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.

Spoken like a true market capitalist, and I agree 100%. ... Just keep writing those checks. laugh

That was how it came across to me too: an implicit statement that there are no values in life other than the value of the almighty dollar.

I guess I should appreciate the reminder of why I have a person with such an attitude on my ignore list, although I'd just as soon not have read the remark at all. Old Man appears to be heading in the direction of joining him and the rest who are on that list.

To me, it's a shame to waste an instrument for any reason, regardless of what I may think about why it was wasted. I am not going to go into what I think about the social malady known as conspicuous consumption and the people who practice it. Although the argument could be made that pianos can be used in that way (as in the example I gave), and therefore the topic is somehow relevant to PW, it's just not that interesting to me at the moment.

wr, you're preaching to the choir. I doubt that anyone in this forum would want to "waste" a piano, or any other instrument. We are all lovers of music, so I'm sure that most of us find the idea of buying a piano as a status symbol or a piece of furniture to be repugnant. But it happens all the time.

I won't speak for Plover, and I apologize to him for dragging him into your line of fire. But speaking only for myself, I was simply saying that all economic decisions are based on myriad motivations, some rational, some irrational, and most in between. I view buying a car as a purchase that requires as much rationality as I can muster. I favor Toyota and Honda, because as a mechanically challenged person, reliability is paramount to me. But millions of others don't give a damn about reliability. They want cars that are stylish, have loads of amenities, or are made in America. During the 1970s and 80s, when American cars were greatly inferior to foreign models, I was roundly castigated as being "un-American" for not buying from one of the Big Three. So they thought I was unpatriotic, and I thought they were irrational. But that's the nature of economics. All's fair.

When it comes to pianos, yes, I understand the reverence that a beautiful instrument commands - or should command. But we can't control the motivations of others. And my point was that regardless of why people buy pianos, the fact that pianos continue to be purchased can only serve to benefit those of us who truly do love pianos. As long as there is sufficient demand for acoustic pianos, manufacturers will prosper, or at least tread water, and that will allow those of us who dream of owning one some day to perhaps realize that dream.

Feel free to put me on ignore. At least I hope I've clarified what I was trying to say.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
....Feel free to put me on ignore....

Very good job replying to such a post from him. I think some people don't realize enough that when so many people tick them off, they might need to look in the mirror a bit more. I think it can be found in the dictionary under "misanthrope."

Online Content
I doubt that anyone in this forum would want to "waste" a piano, or any other instrument.
I'm glad you put waste in quotes because my whole point is that someone who buys a piano for reasons other than playing it isn't IMO wasting a piano. They're just as entitled to their reason to buy a piano as anyone else, and it's arrogant for someone to think their reason is the right or a better reason.

It's not as though there are too few pianos to go around to those willing to buy them. In fact, the opposite is true and so someone buying a piano for furniture doesn't prevent anyone else from buying a piano. And I think it's incredibly judgmental for someone to say that their reason to buy a piano is better than someone else's reason.

I do think it's a shame that more people can't afford pianos or can't afford really terrific pianos, but that is not the same as begrudging someone for buying a piano for reasons other than playing it.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/19/13 04:32 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That said, I wonder if the question could be re-framed, "Will there ever be enough pianists to play all the pianos on the earth?"

--Andy

I was just thinking that as well...

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
... my whole point is that someone who buys a piano for reasons other than playing it isn't IMO wasting a piano. They're just as entitled to their reason to buy a piano as anyone else, and it's arrogant for someone to think their reason is the right or a better reason.

Agreed. I can just imagine a Steinway dealer vetting each of his customers, interrogating them about their "true" intentions, then making them swear an oath to faithfully love, cherish, protect, maintain, and play their new piano every day, til death do they part.

I think the average dealer thinks: I have piano. You have money. Let's trade. Thank you very much. grin

B
B
... my whole point is that someone who buys a piano for reasons other than playing it isn't IMO wasting a piano. They're just as entitled to their reason to buy a piano as anyone else, and it's arrogant for someone to think their reason is the right or a better reason.

Agreed. I can just imagine a Steinway dealer vetting each of his customers, interrogating them about their "true" intentions, then making them swear an oath to faithfully love, cherish, protect, maintain, and play their new piano every day, til death do they part.

I think the average dealer thinks: I have piano. You have money. Let's trade. Thank you very much. grin

All the punter has to do is to make the dealer an offer he cannot refuse...... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by bennevis

All the punter has to do is to make the dealer an offer he cannot refuse...... wink

A fellow Godfather aficionado possibly?? thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by outo
On further reflection, there is likely some truth to it. Those of us for whom a piano is the most precious thing in the world have those rich people to thank for keeping the piano industry in existence.
You sound prejudiced against rich people.

I had the idea that people buy grand pianos to play them and are willing to pay for quality work, sound and touch...this is what I am looking for and I am willing to pay much more than what I could actually afford for it.

Yet the piano dealer told me that a large proportion of his clients are more interested in how the piano looks...
There is nothing wrong in any way about buying a piano purely for its looks or purely for furniture. Your motives for buying a piano are not superior to those who buy it for furniture although you seem to think they are.

First of all, I never wrote your first quote. Secondly I was merely surprised about the motives of some people buying musical instruments that are costly and take a lot of space. I did not make any value judgement about their motives, just revealed my own. Personally I would rather buy some art to look at...
Sorry for my confusion. I mistakenly thought you had written part of the post you quoted.

I have seen too often people complaining about other people's motives for buying a piano, that some... especially "rich" people only buy them as furniture, that these people are somehow undeserving of a piano or that it's terrible that they buy them for the wrong reasons while some serious musicians can't afford a nice grand.

But you are not guilty!

I wrote the passage above that was misattributed to Outo. I am not prejudiced. I should have chosen the words more carefully. I apologize if it offended anyone.

My technician and I were talking today about various fine pianos he knows of in this area. He mentioned several that were bought for other reasons than to be played by the owners. Some of these have been badly neglected and have deteriorated.

I have no quarrel with people buying pianos that they won't play. But it's difficult for me not to think of a fine hand-crafted piano as a living thing. I wish owners had a sense of responsibility toward their instruments and toward the workers who put their soul into the making of them.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh, it just warms my heart that I can't and won't be able to (for some years) afford a piano, let alone a STEINWAY of all things, and there are apparently people who buy Steinways for nothing more than furniture in their castles?????

What a wonderful world.

(I understand people can own whatever they want for whatever reasons they want - I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray? - but you can't stop me from feeling a tiny bit resentful and wish that I can too own a piano one day)

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 03/20/13 11:41 AM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray?

That was the quote of the day!

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray?

....if not more. grin

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I wonder if anybody bought an original Picasso just so they can use it as a tray? - but you can't stop me from feeling a tiny bit resentful and wish that I can too own a piano one day)

Not a fair comparison since each Picasso truly is one of a kind. I would, however, love to do just that!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Each Steinway is also one of a kind wink no piano is identical

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Damon
Not a fair comparison since each Picasso truly is one of a kind. I would, however, love to do just that!

You do realize that many people think likewise of pianos?

I sure do. Look: Even leaving aside issues of varying workmanship, even when the workers are only machines ha .....no two pieces of wood are identical.

The fact of every piano being unique (anyway I'm calling it a fact) grin is why it astonishes me that so many people seem happy to buy pianos sight-unseen (and sound-unheard), or, for that matter, to buy a piano in need of rebuilding before seeing and hearing what it'll be after the rebuilding. The nature of a piano depends on its materials, workmanship, and history, and you never know exactly what it is or what it'll be until you see.

Edit: Thanks, Pogo, for saying the same thing in just one line. ha

Last edited by Mark_C; 03/20/13 02:00 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

The comparison between art and music instruments is a good one, for two reasons.

Reason one: Nobody who buys a Picasso is asked if they know anything about art, or can paint themselves. The only requirement for buying a Picasso is the proper amount of money. The same is true for pianos, even if some people might not like it.

Reason two: The original question in this thread was, if acoustic pianos will be obsolete one day. Well, we just have to look at the world of visual arts. We have photography (now digital), we have powerful software programs that can help the artist create interesting works; and we now even have 3D printers. And yet, oil painting has not become obsolete. People still do it, people still love it, people still buy oil paintings.

So I'm optimistic that acoustic instruments, especially pianos, are here to stay.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Many of those people DO use their pianos as trays. smile

I still find the comparison laughable.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Many of those people DO use their pianos as trays. smile

I cringe at that. Even when it's on coasters. ha

Nothing is allowed to be on my piano! (Except my metronome, hygrometer, pen, glasses, phone, a second hygrometer to make sure the first one is accurate, and sheet music.)

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Nothing is allowed to be on my piano! (Except my metronome, hygrometer, pen, glasses, phone, a second hygrometer to make sure the first one is accurate, and sheet music.)
I don't even allow pens and phones. I don't have a hygrometer and I hardly use a metronome, so that leaves glasses, and sheet music.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

....if not more. grin

Well, hopefully not a mirror! ha

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission