Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2045299 - 03/08/13 10:45 PM Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908)
SBP Offline

For ye of quick judgement and little brain, Joplin's rags are classical, and he would've wanted it listed as classical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnH_3DhHIEA

How'd I do?

Note: Don't ride me for omitting the repeats, I just think they get boring after a while. Last time I posted something here, some dude with perfect pitch derided me for improper harmonies and blue notes on a jazz piece. Music shouldn't ever be too repetitive, regardless of whether it's Weber or Will.i.am :P

Edited by SBP (03/08/13 10:48 PM)

#2045318 - 03/09/13 12:32 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Liked the tempo a lot. I also enjoyed your sopra page turning technique in the intro.

Gladiolus explained by Wikipedia experts

Gladiolus explained by "Teleflora"

The last section of this rag is a true gem.

The repeats are supposed to give you a chance to play wit it, like the repeats in Baroque music. You're supposed to embellish at the repeat--give it a little extreee.

Fun stuff.

#2045571 - 03/09/13 04:43 PM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: Cinnamonbear]
SBP Offline

Ooooooohhhhhhh so that's what a gladiolus is. I always thought they were called irises or orchids. However, I'm not a flower expert :P

I agree that the last half is really quite something. The 3rd part with the rapid fire octaves up and down is tricky to get right, but the 4th part fits really nicely under the hands.

The 4th part tells the player to "sostenuto sempre". I take it this means to hold one note down during a phrase (ie: in m1, the Db is held down and then released with the chord), or to sustain the Db with the sostenuto pedal, which I couldn't since my piano has a muting pedal instead of a sostenuto pedal (are there any uprights that do have a sostenuto pedal?). If it is an indication for the sostenuto pedal, I'd be surprised. Is there any real marking for the sost. pedal, or is it merely implied like the half-blow/una corda pedal?

Edited by SBP (03/09/13 04:45 PM)

#2045688 - 03/09/13 09:02 PM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
FranKiisko Offline

Loc: Spain, Europe
I played a four hands version of this version and I think you played it quite fun and well played! smile

Congratulations, now I'll try to make some more accents in the music and I'll also try to play it a little faster. It's very funny listening to a fast rag (and it's funny to play, too)

So, congratulations for your work!! smile

#2045737 - 03/10/13 12:32 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
SBP Offline

Joplin's rags are best played between 72 and 100, I'd say. Some of them (Swipesy, Maple Leaf, Scott Joplin's New Rag, etc.) require a fast tempo to keep the song together, and others (Fig Leaf, Wall Street, Solace, etc.) need a slow tempo to really shine (or to be playable). This one and others can swing both ways, but I like the tempo I picked. It's sorta my equilibrium tempo: too slow, it sounds jerky or draggy, and too fast, I make too many mistakes. Given the complexity, and Joplin's intentions, I'd say it's close to what he would have intended.

Plus, Joplin actually wrote songs like this to change the image of ragtime away from whorehouse music. He wanted it to be respected by the high-brow music critics of the day (who derided Rachmaninov as a pounder and Brahms as parlor music). He wrote 2 operas using ragtime/black folk music (A Guest of Honor-possibly about Booker T. Washington visiting the President in 1903, and Treemonisha-about an adopted black orphan who attempts to lead blacks away from superstition and prejudice by education), one of which (Treemonisha) still survives and is still performed on occasion. Of course, since he was black he was pretty much ignored, and his rags were considered musical gag-gifts for classical music lovers of the day.

Ragtime is incredibly fun to play though. Once you learn a couple, it's easy to pick up new ones.

#2047945 - 03/13/13 11:38 PM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
SBP Offline

Does anyone else have any tips for miking an upright piano? I used two mics (two Technics ATR1300s) on each side of the piano, but the sound is still kinda...bleh. What it lacks in direction and focus it does make up for in depth and reverb, though.

On a similar note, the hammers are really stiff. If I were to take some out and chuck them at someone, they'd at the least lose an eye. You'd probably need a jackhammer to voice this thing. And yet Kawai's are supposed to be much softer than Yamaha's. It's soft...compared to a nuclear explosion. I can't even practice without my dad screaming at me to shut up (it doesn't help that he demands the house be as quiet as possible at all times), and I only have a half-hour where I have the house to myself. The mute pedal does cut the sound, but it makes the keys super stiff, makes the squeaks in the trapwork and action extremely apparent, and forget about the sustain pedal (none of these are pluses for the Romantic-period music that I like playing). I've tried putting a comforter behind the piano, and nada.

#2047980 - 03/14/13 12:53 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SBP
Does anyone else have any tips for miking an upright piano? I used two mics (two Technics ATR1300s) on each side of the piano, but the sound is still kinda...bleh. What it lacks in direction and focus it does make up for in depth and reverb, though.

It sounds to me like you got your L and R channels mixed up. In a recording like yours, where the stereo is spread pretty widely from ear to ear, I would expect the piano's bass to appear predominantly in the L channel, and the treble in the R, so that it sounds like it does when you are sitting at the piano. When I took my headphones, and reversed them, the sound of your recording made a lot more sense. So, that would be the first thing to keep track of.

I noticed you had the piano lid open. Where is each mic located in relation to the piano? Pointed straight ahead, at? Pointed at an angle down in? Here are some thoughts to consider: I record with two mics on top of a small vertical piano, and keep the lid closed. I use kleenex boxes as my mic stands, and put the mics as far apart on the piano as I can get them, pointed toward each other, but angled up and away from the piano slightly. It gives a really nice stereo sound. But guess what? One of the times that I recorded, I payed scrupulous attention to the way I situated the mics, so that they were mirror images of each other, and the horizontal and vertical axis were plummed at 90 degrees, and I moved them a hair farther away from each other than usual, and I was astounded by the increased quality of the sound. My mics are uni-directional (so are your Technics), meaning they must be pointed at the sound we want to capture. All that to say, SBP, that you need to mess around a bit to find the sweet spot. It's there somewhere.

Also, sometimes, I use the same mic set-up with the piano lid closed, but take the knee board off the piano. That gives a sound almost like having the lid open on a grand. Try it sometime. Your dad will love it! wink grin Also, when I have recorded my big upright piano, I had good results by placing the mics just off the floor (kleenex box height), separated L and R by the width of the piano, and about 7 ft behind the bench, with the kneeboard off. Just sayin'.

Here are a few links to get you thinking:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/articles/pianorecording_0108.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOS_stereo_technique

Also, something to consider is post-recording processing. You might clean up some of the sound by judicious EQ editing.

On a similar note, the hammers are really stiff. If I were to take some out and chuck them at someone, they'd at the least lose an eye. You'd probably need a jackhammer to voice this thing. And yet Kawai's are supposed to be much softer than Yamaha's. It's soft...compared to a nuclear explosion. I can't even practice without my dad screaming at me to shut up (it doesn't help that he demands the house be as quiet as possible at all times), and I only have a half-hour where I have the house to myself. The mute pedal does cut the sound, but it makes the keys super stiff, makes the squeaks in the trapwork and action extremely apparent, and forget about the sustain pedal (none of these are pluses for the Romantic-period music that I like playing). I've tried putting a comforter behind the piano, and nada.

How deep are the grooves in your hammers?

#2047983 - 03/14/13 01:00 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

BTW, I, too, grew up in a house in which the king of the castle (my step-dad) demanded quiet. I was expected to practice after school when I had the house to myself (a latch-key kid), and I had to ask permission to practice on the weekends.

Everything turned out o.k., though. My step-dad actually likes listening to me play piano, now! grin

#2047989 - 03/14/13 01:10 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very nice!

Gladiolus Rag is my teacher's absolute favorite rag. I'm terrified to even attempt it.

#2048731 - 03/15/13 02:44 PM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: Cinnamonbear]
SBP Offline

Mics were on both sides, kimda hung over the extremely low and high hammers. I don't have any mic stands, so I did the best I could. A friend of mine who sings and plays piano does something similar, but uses a desk mic stand instead of a tissue box.

As for grooves the hammers, they're rather deep for a 3 month old piano, but I do play it quite a bit.

#2048963 - 03/16/13 01:49 AM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
For ye of quick judgement and little brain,[...]

You have a computer and a video cam, but you don't have Internet access (or an old-fashioned dictionary) to look up to see what a gladiolus is?

#2049202 - 03/16/13 03:59 PM Re: Gladiolus Rag (Joplin, 1908) [Re: SBP]
SBP Offline

Well of course I have internet access and a dictionary. I really just never bothered to look it up, that's all.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, 21 invisible), 1257 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156277 Topics
2295054 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
26 minutes 16 seconds ago
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission