Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2048452 - 03/14/13 10:45 PM Adult student learned concerto but no musicians!
P I A N O piano Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
I feel a bit lowly even mentioning this- but I am polishing and ready to perform Mozart #6 in B flat Major- but I cannot find musicians! I have been working on this with my teacher and was just told to hire musicians...now that it's time to find a double quartet, 2 ea of horns, oboe, flute. I had no idea of the cost and cannot afford the going rate in my area (90.00/hour) for a 14 piece orchestra. I would love the experience- any advice on how to find musicians or is this going to be sadly anticlimactic . . . I wish I knew that this would be so difficult when I started working on this piece.
Schubert, Moments Musicaux,No.4 in C Sharp Minor;
Beethoven, Sonata no. 15 in D major, op. 28 (Pastoral)
teacher: Katherine Teves Mizruchi, Ann Arbor, MI
Steinway B

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2048455 - 03/14/13 10:51 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
There are software solutions.

#2048457 - 03/14/13 11:03 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
You can always just play with a string quartet or quintet, assuming there is an arrangement for these instruments.

If there isn't, you could make one.

Polyphonist

#2048484 - 03/15/13 12:58 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Or you can turn up your stereo to maximum volume and play along with a CD. I've done that before.

#2048492 - 03/15/13 01:20 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Why not a two piano version?

#2048520 - 03/15/13 02:55 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

As Nicholas says, you need to first work with another pianist. The way I did this was place an ad online in my area. A piano teacher responded and we play each others parts. This is very important before you collect your musicians. When you can play it very well with a pianist, you can look around for students or semi-professionals who would like to play in your orchestra. Check with your chamber music society, university, or high school. You will need to buy the orchestral score and the parts, but I suspect you can get the volunteers to pay for their parts. You might consider charging a $10 rental fee. Good luck!

#2048546 - 03/15/13 04:33 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Chris H. Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
It all depends on your level of performance and what you want to do with it really. If you just want the satisfaction of playing the concerto at home then an orchestral accompaniment on CD would be good. There is a series of books, I think it's called music minus one, which gives you the solo score and a recorded accompaniment. If you want to play it with someone then as others have said you need to try a two piano version first.

For public performance you could try contacting any local amateur orchestras in your area. Where I live there are a couple who are happy for soloists to come and play concertos with them. The cost is usually met by ticket sales for the concert so there shouldn't be any expense for you personally.

#2048740 - 03/15/13 02:59 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Definitely don't use Music Minus One, it's not helpful because there is no actual conductor there and it gives you no room for expression. You're trying to keep up with the orchestra instead of it following you.

Polyphonist

#2048750 - 03/15/13 03:06 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Polyphonist]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Band in a Box follows you.

#2048767 - 03/15/13 03:35 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Chris H. Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Music minus one is the same thing as when any other music student plays along with a recording. Not ideal of course but it can serve a purpose.

I'm interested to know how band in a box follows you though Tim?

#2048788 - 03/15/13 04:20 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I am curious. If a student is working on a piece with a teacher and the piece is to be performed with accompaniment, does the teacher play no role in that aspect? Um - come to think of it - this is piano. But for solo instruments, the teachers we were with did recommend the accompanist and knew whom to contact.

#2048807 - 03/15/13 05:19 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Chris H.]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chris H.

I'm interested to know how band in a box follows you though Tim?

I don't know how it works. I haven't tried it myself. I'm going on reports from fellow trombone players. I've been told that in many music schools an accompanist is no longer required for juries, etc., that everybody uses BIAB now.

Maybe I misunderstood. I'll ask somebody who uses it.

Edited by TimR (03/15/13 05:22 PM)

#2048841 - 03/15/13 07:17 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

You can tweak BIAB to alter its performance everytime, but I seriously doubt it's following the performer... Do check Tim, I'm also quite curious...

#2048886 - 03/15/13 09:02 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Nikolas]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
You can tweak BIAB to alter its performance everytime, but I seriously doubt it's following the performer... Do check Tim, I'm also quite curious...

It is very possible I just remembered wrong. I've asked the question with some trombone players, maybe they'll come up with something.

If you have somebody to play the accompaniment, there are programs that let you step through a MIDI output by playing a keyboard. There is some potential to these - they would allow your accompanist to follow you through very complex arrangements.

#2048900 - 03/15/13 09:54 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Instead of hiring 14 people, hire 5:

String Quartet + Second Piano.

We used to do this in Livonia (we did a concerto camp coached by Gene Bossart, I was the 2nd piano) and it works quite well. You basically play with 2nd piano, but the string players augment the sound and it makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: P I A N O piano
I feel a bit lowly even mentioning this- but I am polishing and ready to perform Mozart #6 in B flat Major- but I cannot find musicians! I have been working on this with my teacher and was just told to hire musicians...now that it's time to find a double quartet, 2 ea of horns, oboe, flute. I had no idea of the cost and cannot afford the going rate in my area (90.00/hour) for a 14 piece orchestra. I would love the experience- any advice on how to find musicians or is this going to be sadly anticlimactic . . . I wish I knew that this would be so difficult when I started working on this piece.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2048934 - 03/15/13 11:53 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Movies are made with real symphony orchestras, but only for the final take.

All of the early writing and editing are done with software orchestras like Garritan Symphony, etc.
http://www.garritan.com/

You would be surprised how good the quality is now.

#2049128 - 03/16/13 12:19 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Nikolas]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You are right, I remembered wrong.

But apparently SmartMusic can.

http://www.smartmusic.com/products/

#2049142 - 03/16/13 12:54 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Brinestone Offline

What about posting a flyer at a local community college or music store asking for volunteer amateur musicians? As a flute player, I'd be tempted to call you if only for the opportunity to dust off my flute and make some real music on it again.

#2049149 - 03/16/13 01:11 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
You're also going to need a venue.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2049327 - 03/16/13 08:19 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Brinestone]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brinestone
What about posting a flyer at a local community college or music store asking for volunteer amateur musicians? As a flute player, I'd be tempted to call you if only for the opportunity to dust off my flute and make some real music on it again.

That assumes the player not only has the performance skills to play this piece, but the organizational skills to put together an ensemble, schedule rehearsals, edit parts, tune the second viola desk, mark bowings, coach, cheerlead, conduct, etc.

It can be done. It can be hugely rewarding. But I'm not sure that's what the OP is looking for.

The easiest way would be to find a community or small college orchestra and talk them into putting you on the program for the next concert.

How much cooperation you get depends on what their approach is and how well you play the concerto. You're going to need to bring them a CD of you playing.

There is a sneaky way of getting your foot in the door. Join the group as a utility percussionist. Make yourself a valuable member - never complain, play everything asked, show up early for everything, laugh at the conductor's jokes no matter how dumb, in general fit in. After the first concert approach the director with your proposal.

#2049328 - 03/16/13 08:30 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: TimR]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: TimR
tune the second viola desk,

(?)

#2049356 - 03/16/13 09:33 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: keystring]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
tune the second viola desk,

(?)

That was humor, keystring.

If you've ever played with a community orchestra, you know there are ..........ah........... tuning inconsistencies.......somewhere down the row.

As painful as it is to explain, listening is much worse.

Currently I only direct a handbell group. They come pretuned from the factory (although Gb4 has a strange overtone, if it weren't out of warranty I'd send it back. I guess nobody noticed before me). But groups I play with vary in how stable a core pitch they maintain. When I've worked with guitar groups sometimes I get frustrated enough I just tune them myself. But that doesn't work with fretless instruments like violin and viola.

Edited by TimR (03/16/13 09:34 PM)

#2049448 - 03/17/13 01:36 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Band in a Box follows you.

You can tweak BIAB to alter its performance everytime, but I seriously doubt it's following the performer...

It is my understanding that, at Eastman, for Fall 2013, the entire entering Freshmen class is Band-In-A-Box. The conservatory is planning on saving big on dorms, food, and especially professors.

They have been experimenting this semester with a Band-In-A-Box for the Conducting Majors, and they find that it follows very, very well indeed - even restarting where the oboe has the "pickup" . . .

In fact, the 100+ year old, world-renowned Eastman Wind Ensemble has replaced each of its players with a nice Band-In-A-Box. The last concert was not presented to any live individuals in the audience. Instead, the theatre was filled entirely with software known as Audience-In-A-Bag!

Ed

#2049710 - 03/17/13 02:04 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: LoPresti]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Have you checked to see if there are any local music clubs? Where I live we have a club that arranges monthly performances, free to the community. 90% of the musicians are rehearsing pieces they are getting ready to play elsewhere. Most musicians are eager and happy to join others for rehearsals and performance opportunities. Look into it. You might be surprised at what you find locally.

#2049718 - 03/17/13 02:12 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

ED: HAHAHAHAHA! Good one!

#2049877 - 03/17/13 07:22 PM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Here's another thought, courtesy of my son in Austin, TX.

Look for a civic orchestra, often made up of volunteers and advanced amateurs. They really like to have competent concerto performers, because it's such an audience pleaser. In Austin, there are two, and they never have enough solo performers to meet the demand.

Check a wider area, and you might be surprised what you uncover.

Best of luck to you, and if you do perform, you can always post a youtube for us to admire!

#2050037 - 03/18/13 03:11 AM Re: Adult student learned concerto but no musicians! [Re: P I A N O piano]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Following on John's suggestion, it might be either strategic or a lovely gesture to offer to make a $ donation to such a civic orchestra. They are always in need. A few hundred dollars might be less outlay than Kreisler's helpful suggestion to hire five musicians.

In essence you'd be buying a run-through, which might lead to other things.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (accordeur, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 36251, Allard, 27 invisible), 1373 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294282 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission