Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2047380 - 03/13/13 12:27 AM Schimmel K189
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Hey Everyone,
My 1st post but I have been lurking for 3 months.Around Christmas I decided it was time to retire my Steinway upright(17 years) for a grand.I wanted to find something for about 25k and did so.I found a Steinway M (1917) that was about to be rebuilt.I jumped on it. Over the last 3 months i decided to educate myself more...YES i did this totally ass backwards.I live in Durham,NC I went to our local dealers.I played a lot of pianos that I have not played so much..I am a jazz pianist and its what I do for a living,so its pretty rare to play Bluthners,Bechsteins,Schimmels..ect...I normally get Steinway Ds..some I love and most I fight with for an hour and a half and then move on to the next city.I am a huge fan of Steinway but I did come to love most of the European pianos.I must admit this took time cause it really is a different sound for me.

Well I really did love the Faziol's I played and the dealer here sells them.If money was not an object I would have gotten one....one day for sure..
So on Saturday my Steinway M arrived and the rebuild was great..The piano looked amazing.The action needed some more fine tuning but it was great.The problem is,its too small..It is powerful for a little piano,but there is little to no color.I was very disappointed but determined.So I went back to Ruggero piano and started going back to the pianos that caught my ear..I wanted to stay under 6 and a half feet so...So my contenders were Mason AA..Becstein 190..Schimmel K 189
I played them for hours over the last few months but didnt want to pay extra..the plan would be to upgrade in a year or so..
The Mason was nice and warm but after playing the German pianos,the Mason was the 1st to go..I loved the Bechstein,the action was amazing and the tone was warm and clear..There was just something about the Schimmel..So I traded in the Steinway and they delivering the Schimmel in 2 days..
Dealing with Richard (the owner) was an absolute pleasure.In this process,we became friends.
this is getting long,but I wanted to thank everyone for all the info I learned here!!
all the best,Joey

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2047385 - 03/13/13 12:35 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Congratulations! Schimmel has a unique "airy" treble, and the best action (my favorite action). It was my close friend's favorite piano as well, his comment was among all the brands he has heard, Schimmel has the unique tone of "happiness", which he would love to sit back and hear someone playing it all day.

#2047386 - 03/13/13 12:38 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Congrats! Bigger really helps and the Ruggero family does everything well.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2047391 - 03/13/13 12:45 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made.

The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

Also they tend to be loud and louder, no real soft playing possible.

Don't mean to rain on your parade-I am glad you are happy with your new piano and I wish you well.

#2047396 - 03/13/13 12:59 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

No rain Ed..I am sure you are aware of the C and K lines of Schimmel(Kbeing the top of the line).

I was able to play soft and loud no problems..Maybe the C series is a bit different that way,but I never even tried them..

I will know a lot more in the near future..

#2047401 - 03/13/13 01:09 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Elkayem Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Welcome and congrats on the new Schimmel! And can't resist saying... love your music! I've been keeping an ear out since I first heard you with Michael Brecker in Boston in 1990.

#2047781 - 03/13/13 05:29 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made.

The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

Also they tend to be loud and louder, no real soft playing possible.

Don't mean to rain on your parade-I am glad you are happy with your new piano and I wish you well.

Ed,

I understand your post, but I would suggest some work that would get rid of most of the initial attack (string noise). The front duplexes tend to whine and working them does a lot of good.

Some well placed hammer work (alignment and sugar coating) helps a whole lot as well, IMHO.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2047930 - 03/13/13 11:04 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Joey Calderazzo
Hey Everyone,
My 1st post but I have been lurking for 3 months.Around Christmas I decided it was time to retire my Steinway upright(17 years) for a grand.I wanted to find something for about 25k and did so.I found a Steinway M (1917) that was about to be rebuilt.I jumped on it. Over the last 3 months i decided to educate myself more...YES i did this totally ass backwards.I live in Durham,NC I went to our local dealers.I played a lot of pianos that I have not played so much..I am a jazz pianist and its what I do for a living,so its pretty rare to play Bluthners,Bechsteins,Schimmels..ect...I normally get Steinway Ds..some I love and most I fight with for an hour and a half and then move on to the next city.I am a huge fan of Steinway but I did come to love most of the European pianos.I must admit this took time cause it really is a different sound for me.

Well I really did love the Faziol's I played and the dealer here sells them.If money was not an object I would have gotten one....one day for sure..
So on Saturday my Steinway M arrived and the rebuild was great..The piano looked amazing.The action needed some more fine tuning but it was great.The problem is,its too small..It is powerful for a little piano,but there is little to no color.I was very disappointed but determined.So I went back to Ruggero piano and started going back to the pianos that caught my ear..I wanted to stay under 6 and a half feet so...So my contenders were Mason AA..Becstein 190..Schimmel K 189
I played them for hours over the last few months but didnt want to pay extra..the plan would be to upgrade in a year or so..
The Mason was nice and warm but after playing the German pianos,the Mason was the 1st to go..I loved the Bechstein,the action was amazing and the tone was warm and clear..There was just something about the Schimmel..So I traded in the Steinway and they delivering the Schimmel in 2 days..
Dealing with Richard (the owner) was an absolute pleasure.In this process,we became friends.
this is getting long,but I wanted to thank everyone for all the info I learned here!!
all the best,Joey

Congrats on a great instrument.
I gotta ask, are you THE Joey Calderazzo?
If so you're one of my greatest musical heroes. If not, well I like you anyway:)

#2047950 - 03/13/13 11:48 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

hey Adrean,
lol..yeah its me..not too many with that name i dont think..
I have been hanging around here and decided to join the other day..
see you around,Joey

#2047981 - 03/14/13 12:56 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well it's an honor to have you here. I met you an number of years ago at the Top O' the Senator in Toronto when you were playing in Brantford's quartet. I was just starting out then and you were really kind and supportive. Thanks for that.
Ps. Bri's Dance on Haiku is still one of my all time favorite solo piano tracks. (Ok I'm gonna stop gushing now:)
Cheers,
Adrean

#2048001 - 03/14/13 01:52 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made. The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

The statement fails to differentiate between the several different lines of "Schimmel".

For example, the Classic and Konzert series are so different, they may as well be made by different makers.

While the statement may be perhaps partially true for the one series, it definitely does not for the other.

Small detail worth mentioning especially since OP bought the formidable K 189....

Congrats to a great, dynamically awesome piano!

Norbert thumb

Edited by Norbert (03/14/13 02:02 AM)

#2048013 - 03/14/13 02:21 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

ha,thanks Norbert..i was thinking of buying a clavinova after reading that post!!!
Its all good..I did some research and feel that the K series is very good...and Richard Ruggero was a huge help in this process..it was a tough choice between the Schimmel and the Bechstein A 190 but I think I made a good choice..I think I will be very happy..and then I will most likely buy a Fazioli in the next 5 years..I played the 6 foot Fazioli the other day and it really blew me away..I would get bigger but it was amazing ..

#2048047 - 03/14/13 05:49 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
mickangel33 Offline

I have played a grand schimmel one time, it was a great pleasure. One of the best !

#2048166 - 03/14/13 11:50 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Today is the day!!!

#2048175 - 03/14/13 12:16 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Just remember to keep breathing!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2048194 - 03/14/13 01:07 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Daverino Offline

Remember to post pics!

#2048321 - 03/14/13 05:13 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Welcome to the wonderful world of Schimmel pianos....

Congrats!

Enjoy it smile

#2048446 - 03/14/13 10:23 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Welcome to the forum. I am a member of the Schimmel fan club. And, after an enjoyable hour of youtube, I can now say, I am a fan of Mr. Calderazzo. Denver on your touring schedule?

#2048467 - 03/14/13 11:51 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

well the piano arrived and I am thrilled..everyone is sleeping but I am playing very quietly!!!.
Honestly I never knew pianos could sound like this..As I told Richard,I LOVE Steinways cause it was what I was used to.Its basically the only piano I play on the road. Every now and then I get a great one and its heaven but most of the time I am just avoiding the bad octaves..I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to be able to play the entire piano..It sounds really good to amazing through out the entire keyboard..
I have always been a huge fan of the tenor area in Steinways and was somewhat concerned about not having that at home..well after a few hours I can say I am fine..Its really nice to HEAR everything I am playing so clearly.. I almost feel a little naked!! I do plan on doing some recording with this piano so we will see..Joey

#2048746 - 03/15/13 03:04 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
What a pleasure to have you here and add your vast experience to our threads. You bought a great piano and you should enjoy it until you find your "dream". The Schimmel and Fazioli seem to have a similar sound. To me it's a more "fundamental" sound, very pure and clean. Certainly different than a Steinway D. I was wondering if you noticed a difference overall of NY Steinways vs. Hamburgs as you have probably played many of both.

#2048759 - 03/15/13 03:20 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Hey Swarth,
yes there is a big difference..in some cases Hamburgs are closer to other European pianos than NY Steinways..I have played the Schimmel all day and already I am starting to get a sound on it..
The thing I love about Steinway is that 3 dimensional sound.I love the middle of those(B and Ds mostly)..
But I can honestly say I love the sound of the Schimmel and I agree its almost like a baby Fazioli..
I dont miss anything

#2049326 - 03/16/13 08:16 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Alain Offline

Great to see so many passionate and expert opinions on Schimmel smile

I tried lately RX3, C3, Estonia 190 and a Schimmel SP189T not the newer K series but it was the sound and touch that are the most appealing to me so far.

Do you know if they did some drastic improvements between the SP189T and the newer 189K? I saw that there is not a C series of the 189 so my hopes are that the craftsmanship on this older series is comparable?

#2049343 - 03/16/13 08:47 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
SBP Offline

Congrats, m'man! I think I've heard of you before. Nice to sorta meet ya!

#2049363 - 03/16/13 09:46 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Alain,I have no idea about the older models..Honestly I dont ever recall playing a Schimmel in my career. I am so in love with this piano.Since Thursday I think i have played it for 12 hours..Everything sounds so good on it..The action is really great.
I really dont know too much about pianos,I am learning.I do know what I like..I thought the Estonia was really good,but not like the Bechstein A or the Schimmel K..
I am curious to try the shigeru K..But I could not be happier(unless it was free!!!)

#2049401 - 03/16/13 10:59 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Alain Offline

Joey,
What's very exciting is that a jazz player like you endorse this piano for all type of playing. Listening to some store "experts", you'd think that those pianos are really made for classical music (i.e. sound better with classical pieces, whatever it means).
Being French therefore snob and vain, I almost want to believe this kind of things but you made my choice so much simpler. Merci beaucoup!

Edited by Alain (03/16/13 10:59 PM)

#2049405 - 03/16/13 11:04 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I've never thought of classifying a Schimmel to a type of music. Hmmm? I like them very much and the clarity will work in any genus of music.

#2049411 - 03/16/13 11:20 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

yeah Marty,
Thats kinda what I think.I started out on classical music and switched to jazz when I was 15.I did go back to it in my early twenties .I took lessons with a guy in between touring with Michael Brecker.It was very hard to do both,due to the amount of practice it takes to play classical music.Jazz is hard enough as well..Yesterday i did pull out some things and stumbled through them..Ravel,Brahms,Chopin..The piano really shines..
It works for jazz as well. I like it well the sound "pops" out of the piano.It did it on the Bechstein and on the Schimmel.
I played a Bosie that I did not like as much,(well at all) for jazz..
I am so used to Steinways that this is really a great change..Everything sounds so crisp and clear/clean and warm...This piano also has a very good dynamic range,I think thats why I like it for Jazz..

#2049417 - 03/16/13 11:28 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Well, the Bosey has quite a unique voice. I don't think it would work for jazz either. It really doesn't work for anything earlier than the Romantics. That is, the contemporary pianos.

How about a jazzy Brahm's album? You could pull it off!

#2049425 - 03/16/13 11:56 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Well, the Bosey has quite a unique voice. I don't think it would work for jazz either. It really doesn't work for anything earlier than the Romantics. That is, the contemporary pianos.

How about a jazzy Brahm's album? You could pull it off!

Yeah, all that stuff Oscar Peterson played on a "Bosey" wasn't very good.

#2049430 - 03/17/13 12:08 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Well,I am not such a fan of Oscars stuff on the Bosey..He plays great but I could have used a bit more grit from the piano.
I do think they sound elegant,and I have performed on them and enjoyed them..BUT it would not be in my top 3 pics for concert or home..thats just me...hmmm so what would be my top 3 then..
Fazioli
Hamburg Steinway
My Schimmel!!!!!!
lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
39 minutes 32 seconds ago
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
41 minutes 50 seconds ago
height of piano bench
by EBB
45 minutes 38 seconds ago
Tuning a 1977 Yamaha G2-Koval EQ/Koval Avg, Ipad 2 Verituner
by Grandpianoman
Today at 06:41 PM
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
Today at 06:04 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (Auntie Lynn, accordeur, anotherscott, 33 invisible), 1168 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157677 Topics
2316003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission