Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2049798 - 03/17/13 05:03 PM How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Our church pianos were tuned for Easter this week.

They told me today that during tuning one of the bass strings broke on one of the pianos, and that the tech would be back to replace it later, because it was a two person job.

I haven't heard anyone here mention string changing being a two person job, so it surprised me a bit. Is this really common practice? I would have thought it more likely he just didn't have the right size wire on the truck, maybe even had to order it.

I didn't play that piano, but the other one he tuned sounded very nice, no complaints at all about his tuning job.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2049813 - 03/17/13 05:27 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I can't think of any string replacement that would need two people. Bass strings must be custom-ordered because of the windings (unless the old one can be spliced).

Many great tuners don't do string replacement, and get a technician to help. That's how I was when I started.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#2049814 - 03/17/13 05:29 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
In a few instances, an un-sighted tuner may rely on an assistant to help with a broken string - or that assistant may actually do the repair. Otherwise, no, the replacement of a sting is easily done by one QUALIFIED technician.

Perhaps that is the key word for you to consider quite soon.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2049861 - 03/17/13 06:58 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: TimR

They told me today that during tuning one of the bass strings broke on one of the pianos, and that the tech would be back to replace it later, because it was a two person job.

I haven't heard anyone here mention string changing being a two person job, so it surprised me a bit. Is this really common practice? I would have thought it more likely he just didn't have the right size wire on the truck, maybe even had to order it.

I didn't play that piano, but the other one he tuned sounded very nice, no complaints at all about his tuning job.

It is possible that something was lost in translation between the secretary in the office -- or whoever the tuner spoke with -- and you. This is an ongoing source of consternation an marvel to me over the years: What I tell people of a technical nature gets quite garbled when it gets passed on.

But no, a bass string should never be a two person job -- even to an blind person. A low tenor string going under the bass section might be more of a challenge, but the bass is right there.

#2049866 - 03/17/13 07:08 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA

News to me! This DIYer replaced all the bass strings on a hundred year old upright with no help other than the Arthur Reiblitz book and advice from my tuner/tech.. My very highly qualified tuner/tech, said the job looked pretty good.

There are so-called "universal" bass strings that some techs carry. They are said to be not as good as special ordering an exact replacement.

After that string is replaced it will likely drift flat pretty quick and need touch up tuning a few times.

#2049872 - 03/17/13 07:15 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Is it splicable?

#2049874 - 03/17/13 07:16 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
On a grand, doesn't it take four? Just like a light bulb?

One to hold the tuning lever and three to . . .

:-)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2049882 - 03/17/13 07:26 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Originally Posted By: Cy Shuster, RPT
Many great tuners don't do string replacement, and get a technician to help. That's how I was when I started. --Cy--

Dear Cy,

In the word of Mr. Spock; Fascinating.

The reason I get paid to sit in the wings at a concert is to handle the unexpected...like...uh...a string breaking, perhaps? Attending to pedal squeaks or perhaps cleaning unisons during an intermission, too, but the big bugaboo is always taking care of a broken string. I have quite honestly never heard such a notion as this. I would sincerely like to know more!

Great tuners have the same issues as anyone else. BANG! Does a great tuner walk away from the piano? I'd think he or she would show their skill by dealing with the issue in a direct and time-efficient manner. I've spliced a C4 wire less than 20 minutes before the house doors opened for a concert..took me less than 5 minutes, for instance (had a leader in the #2 toolbag, thank goodness). A great tuner does not replace wires???

There is clearly a tale behind that statement! Would you care to share?

Curious,
I am,

#2049905 - 03/17/13 08:00 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: Gene Nelson]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Gene Nelson
Is it splicable?

So many things in life are not 'splicable!

#2049909 - 03/17/13 08:10 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: BDB]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
Is it splicable?

The duck says, "it was once splicable, but now is desplicable!"

#2049911 - 03/17/13 08:13 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: BDB]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Is it splicable?

I always view a broken string as an opportunity to enjoy the splice-of-life!

It's remotely possible that the tuner in the original post meant that a broken string was a two trip job. Communication can break down in interesting ways.
-----

#2101373 - 06/12/13 08:47 AM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found the invoice in the wrong file yesterday, and realized I'm still curious about this one.

It was a "Cable Console" piano, and the string in question was F3. It took two people 4 hours. The trip charge as well as the tunings were quite reasonable.

#2101404 - 06/12/13 10:05 AM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee

It was a "Cable Console" piano, and the string in question was F3. It took two people 4 hours. The trip charge as well as the tunings were quite reasonable.

This appears to me to be a case of total incompetence. There is nothing I can imagine that would require 4 hours, and there is scant room for two people to be working on a console.
regards,

#2101447 - 06/12/13 12:04 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
BDB Online   content

F3 could be the lowest tenor note, and the hitch pin could be covered by the piano bottom. That would require removing the bottom of the piano to replace. So it is conceivable that the charge was reasonable.

#2101460 - 06/12/13 12:53 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: BDB]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

F3 could be the lowest tenor note, and the hitch pin could be covered by the piano bottom. That would require removing the bottom of the piano to replace.

So you'd tip it over, and tip it back?

Next time I'm at church I'll open it and see if I can spot the new string.

Quote:
So it is conceivable that the charge was reasonable

No complaints about the cost, it was low. I was just surprised to hear it was a two man job. Perhaps the tuner rarely does it and just brought somebody more familiar with it. I would think if you tune pianos long enough you are going to break a string. Maybe it doesn't happen often though.

#2101510 - 06/12/13 02:30 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Quote:
So you'd tip it over, and tip it back?

I'm assuming he was referring to opening up the door under the keybed, not tipping it.

Well, at least it all ended well and you didn't get taken advantage of as far as the fee goes. My guess is that it was just inexperience or ignorance.

Yes, strings break every once in a while, so it's something we have to deal with.
www.thattuningguy.com

#2101520 - 06/12/13 02:46 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
BDB Online   content

I meant the actually bottom of the piano, which holds the pedals. Yes, the piano would need to be tilted for that.

#2101611 - 06/12/13 05:44 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
Four hours to change a string? WOW! I did eight today in less than 30 minutes.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#2101629 - 06/12/13 06:23 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Q: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb?

A: Only one, but he will probably have to build a jig first.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2101785 - 06/13/13 12:08 AM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
erichlof Offline

Q: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb?

A: Two. One to change it, and another to come along later and tell the homeowner that "The last guy didn't know what the heck he was doing!".

#2101793 - 06/13/13 01:17 AM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: BDB]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
F3 could be the lowest tenor note, and the hitch pin could be covered by the piano bottom. That would require removing the bottom of the piano to replace. So it is conceivable that the charge was reasonable.

Exactly what I was going to say. Some Steinway uprights need to be tilted back and the bottom removed to do a simple bass string twist or replacement. I usually get a helper when I have to tilt such a piano on its back.

#2102122 - 06/13/13 06:08 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Its like the chiropractor.

How many chiropractors does it take to change a light bulb???

Just one, but it takes ten visits.

#2102201 - 06/13/13 10:27 PM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
A couple years ago I had a customer tell me that the previous tuning was done by a pair of tuners. One would operate the tuning lever, the other would say whether to go up or down. "Up, up, up", or "down, down, down". Someone had recommended them! The customer said that they were there 3 or 4 hours, and it sounded worse than when they started. I could just picture it. It sounds like a Laurel and Hardy skit to me. The tuning was as bad as you might imagine.

Edited by RoyP (06/13/13 10:28 PM)

#2102298 - 06/14/13 06:00 AM Re: How many tuners does it take to change lightbulb/bass string [Re: TimR]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
About 43.

Two CLEEs (Certified Light-bulb Exchange Examiners) to do a master light-bulb exchange and document their results.
One candidate to do the actual light-bulb exchange (including a cable splice).
And 40 RLTs (Registered Light-bulb Technicians) to fight about the merits of equally vs. unequally tempered bulbs.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ando, 7notemode, 39 invisible), 1386 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76053 Members
42 Forums
157254 Topics
2309728 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An edifying challenge
by BDB
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Shostakovich Prelude 4 (E minor)
by johnlewisgrant
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
Help!
by MandyD
Yesterday at 09:09 PM
kitchen studio for summer just gone
by toddy
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission