Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2049433 - 03/17/13 12:20 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Joey - I can tell that you are really into the clarity thing.

Good Man !!!

(I agree with you about Oscar and his piano.)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2049453 - 03/17/13 01:56 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Clear or not, Bosis are known for *romantic* sound.

Like "romantic Boogie"...

Norbert wink

#2049573 - 03/17/13 10:02 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Joey - I don't know if you have discovered this thread, but I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Shimmering Schimmel

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2049586 - 03/17/13 10:20 AM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Joey at work...

#2049832 - 03/17/13 06:04 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Mark...
Joey at work...

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
Nice!

Thanks Mark...

#2049868 - 03/17/13 07:10 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
SBP Offline

It is interesting how certain brands can be classified by what genre(s) sound best on them. I never really thought about it that way. I know certain brands are mellower and warmer, others are bright and crisp, etc., but never really about genre-suitability. I guess when you have a focused repertoire, it becomes more important (ie: Most classical pianists probably want to stay clear of Yamahas, Jazz pianists don't really want Bluthners, etc.). I always just played whatever on whatever I was playing on, be it a Fazioli grand or a Wurlitzer spinet.

For compromises, I've always found Kawai's to be fairly versatile. They have the crisp sound that's good for jazz, and the sustain...I'll let this sum it up.
http://youtu.be/g7-5io1muSQ?t=21s
Basically. I can hit a chord with the sustain down, and it'll keep ringing and ringing for at least a good minute. I have no clue how long a "long sustain" should be, but I'd say a minute's pretty dang long for an upright.

Edited by SBP (03/17/13 07:16 PM)

#2049880 - 03/17/13 07:25 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: SBP]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: SBP
It is interesting how certain brands can be classified by what genre(s) sound best on them. I never really thought about it that way. I know certain brands are mellower and warmer, others are bright and crisp, etc., but never really about genre-suitability. I guess when you have a focused repertoire, it becomes more important (ie: Most classical pianists probably want to stay clear of Yamahas, Jazz pianists don't really want Bluthners, etc.). I always just played whatever on whatever I was playing on, be it a Fazioli grand or a Wurlitzer spinet.

For compromises, I've always found Kawai's to be fairly versatile. They have the crisp sound that's good for jazz, and the sustain...I'll let this sum it up.
http://youtu.be/g7-5io1muSQ?t=21s
Basically. I can hit a chord with the sustain down, and it'll keep ringing and ringing for at least a good minute. I have no clue how long a "long sustain" should be, but I'd say a minute's pretty dang long for an upright.
From everything I've read Yamahas are not as bright as in the past. Their concert model is absolutely magnificent and is probably the second most popular piano for classical concerts. It is certainly not what one would call overly bright.

"Crisp" and "good sustain" would normally be considered opposites. Sustain is normally a consideration in the treble, and when listening for this the pedal should not be down.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/17/13 09:05 PM)

#2049903 - 03/17/13 07:59 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

I enjoy playing all pianos that are prepared properly..I always try and find the strengths of a piano and let the music come out accordingly..I have liked playing Yamahas just because they are consistent..Playing different pianos every night can really suck..Steinways have been by far the most INconsistent piano.But when they are good,they are great. I have done shows in Europe on Bluthners,Bechsteins,Bosies,Schimmels,Kawais,Faziolis..
I do like the Yamaha C7 and love the CFX..For me I really want a good action..I am able to get "my sound" out of most pianos
but I need the action to be even and responsive..Once you use a monitor,the sound of the piano is changed..Although I do have my own monitor system,so I full control of the volume.I only use when the band is loud.(so i use it often)!!!
I would be thrilled to play my Schimmel every night ,although we would need a bigger one

#2049930 - 03/17/13 08:58 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Mark...]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Mark...
Joey at work...

Hey I've played that piano! (Just not THAT good:)

#2049949 - 03/17/13 09:44 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Alain Offline

I am just realizing how much it must be challenging for a pianist to "adapt" to a new instrument each time he performs and delivers his sound and what people are expecting of him/her. I mean a saxophonist will have his Selmer, a guitarist his guitars or a drummer his particular setup, a guy at keyboard will rent the same exact synthesizers, etc.

#2062064 - 04/09/13 05:09 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Alain]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I played a new Schimmel K189 today at Keyboard Concepts in Van Nuys. The Schimmels I've been played in past years, I've been fairly underwhelmed, not my tonal cup of tea. But this was different....simply WOW !

Clarity in all registers, super responsive action/touch to sound, very reminiscent of a Fazioli. Sounded much bigger then a 6'3" piano. I played a Bosendorfer 225 right down the aisle and while the larger scale of the 225 was obvious, the basic clairty and singing tone of the Schimmel, to my ears, was on par with the 225.

KC is one of the biggest Yamaha dealers in the country, and I'm a huge Yamaha fan having owned a C7e & S6 before my D. I played every Yamaha CX model they had from the C3 up to the C7, and as nice as they were, the Schimmel had, for me, a superior, more complex tone and added sustain. And I had never felt that way in the past when playing older Schimmels next to a C7 or C5/6/3.

Basically there was nothing I didn't like about the K189...and this was with minimum prep too. Simply a smokin' piano !

edit with added thought:
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made. The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

The statement fails to differentiate between the several different lines of "Schimmel".

For example, the Classic and Konzert series are so different, they may as well be made by different makers.

While the statement may be perhaps partially true for the one series, it definitely does not for the other.

They had the Classic 189 right next to the Konzert and there was no comparison. Playing just one Fm7b5 sus chord voiced with a minor 10th in the LH in the middle register on both pianos immediately told the story... wink It was indeed like playing two different brands of piano as opposed to models.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2062107 - 04/09/13 07:32 PM Re: Schimmel K189 [Re: Joey Calderazzo]
Joey Calderazzo Offline

Hey Dave,You and I have similar tastes.The clarity in all registers is one of the biggest plus' for me.I also agree that is sounds bigger than a 6'3" piano. Its funny you wrote that cause I have spent a lot of time playing pianos this week.I was in NYC doing a few shows and played lots of great pianos at Faust Harrison and Allegro.Faust had one of the best Steinway A's I have ever played,but it felt and sounded smaller than my K189..it was also clearer..
I think Faust has the best rebuilt Steinways I have ever played.But honestly after playing so many great pianos by different companies,I am not sure I would want a Steinway.If I was to get one it would be a D..I LOVED the C Bechstein 234,and when I jumped to the Steinway B I felt underwhelmed..And their B's were great,I just liked the clarity and evenness of the Bechstein.
I also loved the Bosie 225,really nice piano.
I also went to Steinway Hall..I played 2 D's that i liked a lot..Everything else was just ok..I really found that the Schimmel K189 seems like a lot more piano than the A,and its half the price!!!! what the heck..and the best A's and B's I played were at Faust/Harrison not Steinway Hall.(pretty Sad)...on my way to Europe now for 2 weeks to play duo with my buddy Branford..see ya,Joey

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
baldwin 2nd hand
by johan d
10/02/14 09:44 AM
a steinway rebuilt and a mason hamlin rebuilt
by koap
10/02/14 09:27 AM
Chopin Étude No 12 in C minor, Op 10 'Revolutionary'
by Maximillyan
10/02/14 09:25 AM
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
10/02/14 08:48 AM
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
10/02/14 07:10 AM
Who's Online
137 registered (ajames, accordeur, Alexander Borro, aesop, amt976, 40 invisible), 1519 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157948 Topics
2319565 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission