Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1460 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2050016 - 03/18/13 02:27 AM "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!"
Spacetone Offline

Loc: CA
What is something that the average piano student is still being taught, or not being taught, that irks you?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2050017 - 03/18/13 02:30 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think it's a difficult question, given there is so much variety amongst piano instruction - to pick one "average" thing. If I had to pick one thing that irks me most, it's students never having been made to read notes and just playing by finger numbers or position.

#2050035 - 03/18/13 03:07 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
It is a pity that most students being given classical piano lessons are no longer taught in an integral fashion to improvise and in fact may be strongly discouraged from exercising any kind of creative license. Piano lessons too often risk turning musical children away from music rather than allowing them to blossom as spontaneous, creative musicians rather than Clementi and Czerny typing automatons.

#2050045 - 03/18/13 03:48 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
It irritates me that primers still insist on both thumbs sharing middle C, at least for a time. Students find it hard! And it is of absolutely no benefit. For all real beginner and intermediate music, there is no need to two fingers to hover over the same note.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2050069 - 03/18/13 05:41 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
"...
What is something that the average piano student is still being taught, or not being taught, that irks you?
..."

What is funny is that students think that they must play fast, practice fast - and how long takes students to learn that they have play and practice slowly without errors.

Also, it takes students a very long time, before they learn to listen to their playing.

Teacher all have different things that they teach in a certain way and that will always be the case, but so, too, students can vary from some insruction over time and with experience.

#2050070 - 03/18/13 06:02 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
^ ^
What TLT said.

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#2050103 - 03/18/13 07:57 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Michael_99]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
What is funny is that students think that they must play fast, practice fast - and how long takes students to learn that they have play and practice slowly without errors.

Well, they're told often enough!

I'm more worried by the adult learners who decide they CAN'T play to a metronome, so stop trying. But the self-erected barriers of an adult learner are a huge subject!

#2050259 - 03/18/13 01:52 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: theJourney]
jampff Offline

Originally Posted By: theJourney
It is a pity that most students being given classical piano lessons are no longer taught in an integral fashion to improvise and in fact may be strongly discouraged from exercising any kind of creative license. Piano lessons too often risk turning musical children away from music rather than allowing them to blossom as spontaneous, creative musicians rather than Clementi and Czerny typing automatons.

I one hundred percent agree with this! I think a major issue is the false impression that "either you're born with it, or you're not..."

By the way, I'm new to the Piano World forums, and I'm really excited to learn as much as I can here, and especially to grow as a teacher.

#2050283 - 03/18/13 02:38 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: jampff]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sometimes I still write the letter above the note as a guide. My teacher does not say anything. Isn't that cheating and isn't that not forcig me to recognise the note as a note and not a letter.

#2050309 - 03/18/13 03:41 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: adultpianist]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
Sometimes I still write the letter above the note as a guide. My teacher does not say anything. Isn't that cheating and isn't that not forcig me to recognise the note as a note and not a letter.

It's certainly not cheating anymore than looking up a word in the dictionary is cheating when you don't know the definition.

Not only that, but the very act of writing the note name above the notation is learning.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2050314 - 03/18/13 03:51 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: adultpianist]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adultpianist

Even an advanced player might write the letter over a note on lots of ledger lines which was not easy to read. If what you're doing helps enable a fluent performance, who's arguing? If you're slightly embarrassed about doing it - well you know what the answer is :-)

#2050349 - 03/18/13 05:09 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I still can't believe the number of transfer students who let go the pedal before the new note or chord. One of the first things I teach transfer students is syncopated pedaling.

Also, many students do not hold long notes for the correct length of time. Their teachers teach them ta-a-a-a, or 1-2-3-4 but it would be much better for them to sing ta-ya-ya-ya.

#2050386 - 03/18/13 05:59 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: ten left thumbs]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
It irritates me that primers still insist on both thumbs sharing middle C, at least for a time. Students find it hard! And it is of absolutely no benefit.

All due respect tlt but I think there is a place for this technique. When two are playing duet on the same instrument the melody is usually played 8va. I usually just play the note with one or the other and don't really "hover" over it.

What do your students find difficult? And BTW I'm not a teacher, just curious. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2050402 - 03/18/13 06:27 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Ragdoll]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Most lesson books have, at some early point, both thumbs playing middle C in turn, while finger 5 of each hand is over treble G and bass F.

It forces the beginning student to confront two things, that could well wait: (1) having a finger/thumb hover near a note while at rest, then move into position to play and (2) reading middle C on the two clefs, which are illogically placed at different levels.

Every single one of my students has struggled with the thumbs fighting over the note. If you are an experienced player, you won't have difficulty. But beginners do. I don't mind them encountering challenges, I just want the challenges to be beneficial and not stupid.

In no music written by Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach, or Hook, or Turk, or Chopin, will you ever sit with your thumbs straddling middle C.

Sorry to rant - why do they teach it?

I also agree that improv should be a normal or lessons, as I'm sure it was for Clementi and Czerny.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2050442 - 03/18/13 07:55 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: ten left thumbs]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Most lesson books have, at some early point, both thumbs playing middle C in turn, while finger 5 of each hand is over treble G and bass F.

It forces the beginning student to confront two things, that could well wait: (1) having a finger/thumb hover near a note while at rest, then move into position to play and (2) reading middle C on the two clefs, which are illogically placed at different levels.

Every single one of my students has struggled with the thumbs fighting over the note. If you are an experienced player, you won't have difficulty. But beginners do. I don't mind them encountering challenges, I just want the challenges to be beneficial and not stupid.

In no music written by Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach, or Hook, or Turk, or Chopin, will you ever sit with your thumbs straddling middle C.

Sorry to rant - why do they teach it?

I also agree that improv should be a normal or lessons, as I'm sure it was for Clementi and Czerny.

I agree. It is also highly confusing for anyone who has the slightest tendency to flip things. I never teach this position. It is unnecessary and confusing.

#2050511 - 03/18/13 09:54 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Spacetone

Transfer students who come to me and have no idea what notes they are playing, just that "thumbs are on C". Fingerings are crossed out/changed in the method books, and pieces are omitted if "thumbs on C" doesn't work.

#2050553 - 03/18/13 11:56 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: theJourney]
Spacetone Offline

Originally Posted By: theJourney

I wholeheartedly agree! It's a bit dumbfounding because when you think about it, some of the greats were exceptional improvisers!

#2050566 - 03/19/13 12:44 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I find it irksome when transfer students tell me the treble clef is for the RH and the bass clef is for the LH. Not so!

#2050612 - 03/19/13 02:58 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Being taught:

1) treble clef = right hand; bass clef = left hand

2) sharps and flats mean black keys

3) teach by the "copy me" method

4) Beyer and Czerny

5) slamming each finger down as hard as you can on every single note

#2050634 - 03/19/13 04:33 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: AZNpiano]
Spacetone Offline

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Being taught:

4) Beyer and Czerny

Hey can you elaborate on this?

#2050636 - 03/19/13 04:43 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Being taught:

4) Beyer and Czerny

Some teachers still use Czerny as a method book!

A little bit of Czerny here and there is fine; he did write a couple of decent pieces. But to use entire volumes of Czerny and play dozens and dozens of his inferior etudes?? I don't know how these students survive their piano lessons.

#2050637 - 03/19/13 04:53 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: AZNpiano]
Spacetone Offline

Being taught:

4) Beyer and Czerny

Some teachers still use Czerny as a method book!

A little bit of Czerny here and there is fine; he did write a couple of decent pieces. But to use entire volumes of Czerny and play dozens and dozens of his inferior etudes?? I don't know how these students survive their piano lessons.

Ah I see! Yeah I think too much of any one composer can feel very monotonous.

#2050672 - 03/19/13 07:22 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Minniemay]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I find it irksome when transfer students tell me the treble clef is for the RH and the bass clef is for the LH. Not so!

Students crave for rules. Rules make them feel secure. "Treble clef is for the right hand notes". "We don't use the thumb for black notes". "Quarter notes get one count". "Don't kill people".

Then comes the stage when they can appreciate that all rules have exceptions. "Except when the LH has to play high notes". "Except in cut time or 3/8". "Except when they're from other countries and politicians tell you it's OK".

We can cope with this, in piano playing and in real life. We have to.

#2050674 - 03/19/13 07:37 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: ten left thumbs]
pianopaws Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I agree that "middle C position" is awkward to play. However, I have found it helpful for introducing note reading. The 5 finger of each hand is on an important line (treble clef G and bass clef F). It allows you to introduce the notes around middle C first, which I have found is easier for most students than starting lower on the bass clef staff. It also has the benefit of allowing a beginning student to play a wider range of tunes because you have a whole octave under your fingers as opposed to just five notes.

That being said, unless the student is really young or struggling with note reading, I move the hands to other places as soon as possible!

#2050719 - 03/19/13 09:46 AM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The courses I use don't equate treble with RH or bass with LH. Students get experience playing with either hand in either clef.

#2050810 - 03/19/13 12:40 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just a general irk of method books. As a teacher I am responsible for technique, making sure they don't get an injury, instilling good rhythm, child protection, etc, etc. Can I be trusted to play a simple duet part without being told my fingering? No way. I need to be give the fingering by the editor.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2050812 - 03/19/13 12:50 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: ten left thumbs]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Just a general irk of method books. As a teacher I am responsible for technique, making sure they don't get an injury, instilling good rhythm, child protection, etc, etc. Can I be trusted to play a simple duet part without being told my fingering? No way. I need to be give the fingering by the editor.

Well, are you able to improvise a secondo part on the fly?

#2050932 - 03/19/13 03:33 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: ten left thumbs]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA

My first piano book's first song was exceedingly simple*:

RH: _C_C_C_C_C_C_C_C
LH: C C C C C C C C

That's middle C, of course, with all quarter notes in 4/4, fingered 1-1-1-1 etc. The stirring lyrics:

"Left, right, left, right, I am singing.
Left, right, left, right, while I'm playing."

Pretty exciting stuff for a four-year old!

-Andy

*(Sorry about the underscores, that was the only way I could find to make the forum respect my spacing.)

#2050987 - 03/19/13 05:05 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: AZNpiano]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, are you able to improvise a secondo part on the fly?

Yes, why not? I'm also able to ignore the fingering, it just annoys me it's there in the first place.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2051023 - 03/19/13 06:29 PM Re: "I can't believe that's still being/not being taught!" [Re: Spacetone]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Irksome situation:

Transfer student plays through piece such as Fur Elise or a Bach minuet or whatever. I point to the first note in the piece and they can't for the life of them tell me what note it is. Infuriating.

In other words, students learning pieces entirely by picking out the notes and not using the music, and barely being able to read music. I have to basically train them to see a note on the staff and identify it. Argh.

Polyphonist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission