Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, antony, 38 invisible), 1579 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2035457 - 02/18/13 07:42 PM Question regarding the strictness of sonata form
Bullard Offline

EDIT: posted early on accident...

Hey all , I've never actually posted a thread to PianoWorld before but I'm bugged right now with my own aspirations in composition.

I'm writing a sonata, (or at least that's what it is as of now), but the way I WANT to write it is off in comparison to any other sonata I've heard.

It's in binary form as of now (AB), I'll probably add an A to the end later, but my B section uses some of the themes from the A section. Is this okay? As far as I know, new sections are meant to develop new ideas, which B mostly is. For all I know form may not even matter any more.

Edited by Bullard (02/18/13 07:45 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2035470 - 02/18/13 08:03 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Bullard Offline

Also, another question: does the term at the beginning of a movement (ex. Maestoso) determine the attitude of the it on a grand scale, where the whole piece would have to sound majestic, or is it just until a new term is needed?

Thanks for any replies!

#2035738 - 02/19/13 09:38 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Bullard
I'm writing a sonata, (or at least that's what it is as of now), but the way I WANT to write it is off in comparison to any other sonata I've heard.

You should study WHY and HOW Sonata form worked. It's easy to write a tune. Not so easy to develop a 10-minute piece. Sonata form, with its two main themes presented first in contrasting keys, then returning both in the home key after a development section is one way that proved productive for many classical-era composers.

If it worries you that your "Sonata" doesn't follow this pattern, call it something else. No need to - many "Sonatas" dont. But your choice. Just make sure that your piece HAS a structure. Coming "back home" at the end isn't an essential requirement, but it's often done, and for good reason.

Many pieces (including many classical somatas) have a "Maestoso" introduction followed by an "Allegro" main section. Or any other combination of tempos/feels.

There aren't any rules. But there are plenty of illustrations of what works well (see any composition that has survived the years) and of what doesn't (plenty of examples here :-)

#2035819 - 02/19/13 11:43 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Hi Bullard,

As Wombat mentioned there are no rules anymore. I have two thoughts about sonata form. 1) The name itself is boring, the music may be very interesting but these days composers have to give titles to pieces that encourage an audience to listen, Sonata #x in the key of C says very little about the nature of the piece and most people's eyes will glaze over. 2) the form itself is about drawing contrasts, there are many ways to do that and Wombat is right that there are things which have been shown to work over time, but composers like to do things their own way, so IMO if you compose a piece that has contrasts in it you can call it a sonata (or not). Remember there are no rules.

You mention that the piece you're writing is in binary form. To me that's not really a sonata because you're only showing contrast two times switching from A to B and when you switch back. In general sonatas have smaller sections that exhibit contrast more often. There are lots of pieces in binary form that are not called sonatas. While there are no rules it makes sense to me that if you're going to call a piece a sonata that it make some attempt to actually accomplish what a sonata does (exhibit contrast).

#2035834 - 02/19/13 12:14 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Plenty of music uses contrast. I think the prime feature of sonata form, differentiating it from simple ternary form or a set of variations, is its structural use of tonality. 1st and 2nd subject are presented - one in the tonic, the other (usually) in the dominant - then, after the development section, they return both in the tonic.

Edited by Exalted Wombat (02/19/13 12:14 PM)

#2036283 - 02/20/13 08:36 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Exalted Wombat]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Plenty of music uses contrast. I think the prime feature of sonata form, differentiating it from simple ternary form or a set of variations, is its structural use of tonality. 1st and 2nd subject are presented - one in the tonic, the other (usually) in the dominant - then, after the development section, they return both in the tonic.
I guess up to about 1880, after that not so much. Debussy wrote sonatas, did they follow this harmonic structure? I frankly have no idea, but I doubt it.

#2036284 - 02/20/13 08:41 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Steve Chandler]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
I guess up to about 1880, after that not so much. Debussy wrote sonatas, did they follow this harmonic structure? I frankly have no idea, but I doubt it.

Sure. As initially stated, "Sonata" is a label for all sorts of music! We're describing "Sonata Form".

#2038061 - 02/23/13 03:46 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Mark Nicol Offline

Loc: South Australia
The Tonic/Dominant relationship/pull is certainly a strong functional component of Classical sonata form. Where Mozart uses the A/B thematic material chiefly as means of contrast, someone like Mahler often uses the A/B thematic material as something much more dramatic - the opposition of protagonist and antagonist. (Have a listen to the 1st. Movements to the 9th. and 10th. Symphonies, in particular).
As a composer, you can utilise the form freely, but only in accordance with your capacities - both technical and aesthetic. The late Beethoven string quartets reveal a composer totally the master of form, subjugate to his expressive will. But much lesser composers are perhaps best to master the functional opportunities that strict forms - sonata, fugue, rondo, ternary etc. avail.
In two of my larger and perhaps more successful works, Ulysses and Abyss, I have utilised sonata form in novel ways. Ulysses actually presents Themes A and B simultaneously, and constantly winds the two in a polyphonic narrative. Abyss utilises sonata form within a clear 'Impressionist' framework. marknicol7 is the youtube site that features these works.
Rember one thing - fortune favours the brave!

#2039327 - 02/25/13 10:21 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Mark Nicol Offline

Loc: South Australia
Dear Bullard,

subsequent to the previous post, it should also be added that Sonata form is certainly not just based upon contrast and tonal relations. More fundamentally, sonata form - like fugue form, involves structural development in the utilisation of sparse thematic material. Sonata form, though, because of the A/B thematic contrast relationship, and because it avails both homophonic and polyphonic styles of development, is uniquely suited to the production of 'dramatic narratives'. Take the 1st. movement of Beethoven's 5th., for a very fine example.

#2049979 - 03/17/13 11:28 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Dear Bullard

Sonata form follows structure found below,
1. Exposition
2. Development
3. Recapitulation.
4. Coda/codetta(for a short piece)

Characteristic of exposition are in binary form, AB.
Development can be in dominant of the key but doesn't have to.
Recapitulation are in both A and B.
Coda is longer ending suitable for long pieces. Codetta is suitable for short pieces as it is a short ending.

I do agree your comment about both A and B section being similar but in tonic and dominant relationships.

#2050083 - 03/18/13 06:51 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you're going to be pedantic, get it right!

There may be an introductory section. Then the Exposition, consisting of two themes ("Subjects"), the first in the tonic key, the second in a contrasting one - usually the dominant. The Exposition may be rounded off with a Codetta.

Then the development - a free-for-all both thematically and tonally, though much will be derived from the two Subjects.

The Recapitulation is a rewrite of the Exposition, but with the vital difference that both Subjects appear in the tonic key.

Coda.

#2050092 - 03/18/13 07:05 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Mark Nicol]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Nicol
Dear Bullard,

subsequent to the previous post, it should also be added that Sonata form is certainly not just based upon contrast and tonal relations. More fundamentally, sonata form - like fugue form, involves structural development in the utilisation of sparse thematic material. Sonata form, though, because of the A/B thematic contrast relationship, and because it avails both homophonic and polyphonic styles of development, is uniquely suited to the production of 'dramatic narratives'. Take the 1st. movement of Beethoven's 5th., for a very fine example.

Sonata form, particularly in the Development section, can use all and every type of thematic manipulation from simple repetition and sequence to complex fugue. But its unique feature is the broad architecture - two themes presented in contrasting keys then in the same key, seperated by a development section - and this is what allows a Sonata movement to fill a large time-scale.

#2050134 - 03/18/13 09:01 AM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Exalted Wombat]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Nicol
Dear Bullard,

Sonata form, particularly in the Development section, can use all and every type of thematic manipulation from simple repetition and sequence to complex fugue. But its unique feature is the broad architecture - two themes presented in contrasting keys then in the same key, separated by a development section - and this is what allows a Sonata movement to fill a large time-scale.

The perfect embodiment of this thinking is Pierre Boulez's 2nd Piano Sonata. Here's a link to a video of the first movement with the score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KD39Vt7VFk

(takes tongue out of cheek)

#2166337 - 10/14/13 09:48 PM Re: Question regarding the strictness of sonata form [Re: Bullard]
Bullard Offline

Super late to respond, but thanks for the thoughts on this topic. What I decided to do is keep some kind of structure to it, not necessarily in the classical style. I think this should be more about creativity rather than practicing the ancient ways of doing things.
I think that structure is good for music, it gives us something to relate to within the piece, like an inside joke.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
Today at 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
Today at 04:37 PM
Do you recommend a back cover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
Today at 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
Today at 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
Today at 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission