Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2050350 - 03/18/13 05:10 PM Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No?
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
Hi,

I've been obsessed with Brahms 1st piano concerto( the second concerto too, but I'm not going to go near that one for quite some time), the harmonies, lush melodies, heartwarming progressions. I can't get it out of my head. So I've been trying to see whether doing it would be plausible at my level. This would be my first concerto although I do play collaboratively through chamber music. Is the Brahms 1 plausible for someone of my level? I don't plan on performing it any time soon, but it's something I'd like to learn. And if not, are there any other romantic concertos that I can look at? I don't want to do the Grieg as his piano concerto and cello sonata are quite similar so I might get bored. Additionally, I want to take a short vacation from Beethoven once I'm done with the Apassionata, so could you avoid the Beethoven concerti as well. I'd love to do them at some point of my life (especially the 3rd), but not right now.
Grieg: Cello Sonata, Op.36

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2050381 - 03/18/13 05:50 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Brahms 1 is my all-time favorite piece of music, but it is quite an undertaking. The notes aren't too hard to learn, although it is very unforgivable and awkward in many places. However, to pull off a great performance from beginning to end makes it one of the most challenging piano concerti.

Get the score and see what you can make of it smile

#2050490 - 03/18/13 09:07 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
From your other repertoire, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't make sense to look pretty seriously at this concerto. BTW I disagree with OSK that the notes "aren't too hard to learn."

OSK: Did you really mean that ALL the notes aren't that hard? I could understand if you meant something like, 75% of the notes aren't that hard to learn. But not 76%. grin
And certainly not 100%. Unless you're not caring at all about tempo and you're talking about someone playing at half speed or less.

Just to mention one thing that leaps immediately to mind: The descending 2-hand scales in the last mvt.

#2050582 - 03/19/13 01:22 AM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I think your chamber music background makes Brahms 1 a good choice, but I think you might be surprised at how engaging the Mozarts are. Take a look at K. 271, the "Jeunehomme" (or "Jenamy") - Rosen went as far as to say it was the first unequivocal masterpiece of the Classical era. It has challenging and virtuosic writing, brilliant orchestration, constant interplay, and some of the best themes ever to be in a concerto.

#2050760 - 03/19/13 11:10 AM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Well, there are some places that take more practice than others, such as the octaves.

What's the matter with the last movement? Can't play a few scales? smile

#2050841 - 03/19/13 01:31 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Of course the answer to the question is based on personal tastes and preparation, but I would think, chamber music experience notwithstanding, that the Brahms First might not be the best choice as a "starter" concerto.

To each, however, his own.

Regards,

#2050852 - 03/19/13 01:43 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: Mark_C]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

OSK: Did you really mean that ALL the notes aren't that hard? I could understand if you meant something like, 75% of the notes aren't that hard to learn. But not 76%. grin
And certainly not 100%. Unless you're not caring at all about tempo and you're talking about someone playing at half speed or less.

Its not the notes that are hard but how they are arranged. I can play any note! grin

I can't see how attempting this as one's first concerto would not end in failure. As Bruce says "to each their own". Why not a Bach concerto? He pretty much invented the keyboard concerto!

#2050853 - 03/19/13 01:44 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Of course the answer to the question is based on personal tastes and preparation, but I would think, chamber music experience notwithstanding, that the Brahms First might not be the best choice as a "starter" concerto.

I don't think that's an issue, especially if it's not particularly for a performance, provided the person's ability and previous repertoire justify it. Anyway my 'starter' concerto (basically) was the Emperor, and that didn't go too badly. grin

#2052991 - 03/23/13 03:15 PM Re: Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. Yes or No? [Re: arpan70]
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
So I might study the Brahms Concerto. Will see how it goes. It's a very addictive concerto, smile
Grieg: Cello Sonata, Op.36

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1613 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156289 Topics
2295326 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebber
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission