Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2049803 - 03/17/13 05:11 PM Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys
pscom Offline

Hello. Please forgive my complete inability to describe this issue with proper terminology. I know very little about pianos but I want to find out about the following problem with one in my care.

About a dozen adjacent keys near the centre of the instrument sound normally but with a horrible metallic twanging buzzy sound that persists over the main note. With the sustain pedal depressed, it disappears entirely. With the "other" pedal depressed (the one that sort of mutes the notes) the problem remains present or is slightly worse.

I hope this is a common problem and you know what I'm talking about. Can it easily be rectified, perhaps by a tuner who I'd have go over it all quickly?

Oh, and while I'm here - a few hammers don't return very quickly (sometimes needing a nudge), near the top end of the keys. Can this usually be dealt with without too much trouble?

Please ask for any further information you require. Thanks in advance.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2049809 - 03/17/13 05:25 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
If the sound comes at the end of the playing of a note, it could be hard dampers.

More precisely...

Play a single note without depressing the right (sustain) pedal.
Let that key up very slowly.
Do you hear an "oink" sound? If you do, it is the hard damper coming back down on the string, making a buzz or oink.

This is only one possibility, so have a good technician come assess the piano. If you have a tuning done, this could involve a pitch raise to standard A440 tension level, plus the tuning. Simply tell the tuner what you have told us, and ask if the charge for the tuning could include getting a grip on what other needs you have.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2049810 - 03/17/13 05:25 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
What brand and model (or size) piano is it, and how long have you had it?

If it's a vertical, it's possible that the damper tails are being hit by the strings on a hard blow. The fact that it goes away with the pedal down indicates it's probably a simple adjustment.

Sluggish hammers are also usually fixed easily with lubrication.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#2049835 - 03/17/13 06:18 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Is there a stain on the top of the piano? You have the symptoms of water damage.

#2050339 - 03/18/13 04:55 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: BDB]
pscom Offline

Originally Posted By: RestorerPhil
If the sound comes at the end of the playing of a note, it could be hard dampers.

More precisely...

Play a single note without depressing the right (sustain) pedal.
Let that key up very slowly.
Do you hear an "oink" sound? If you do, it is the hard damper coming back down on the string, making a buzz or oink.

I'm afraid I've since forgotten "when" the noise comes, i.e. with the arrival of the main note or upon release of the key. I made note of it at the time but have since lost firm memory of it! I won't be able to touch the piano again for a little while, unfortunately - basically it's very cheap and I was thinking of purchasing it if it would be fixable and end up playing alright for a complete beginner.

Quote:

This is only one possibility, so have a good technician come assess the piano. If you have a tuning done, this could involve a pitch raise to standard A440 tension level, plus the tuning. Simply tell the tuner what you have told us, and ask if the charge for the tuning could include getting a grip on what other needs you have.

Originally Posted By: Cy Shuster, RPT
What brand and model (or size) piano is it, and how long have you had it?

"MARSCHAL BERLIN" says the plate.

Quote:

If it's a vertical, it's possible that the damper tails are being hit by the strings on a hard blow. The fact that it goes away with the pedal down indicates it's probably a simple adjustment.

Sluggish hammers are also usually fixed easily with lubrication.

--Cy--

Originally Posted By: BDB
Is there a stain on the top of the piano? You have the symptoms of water damage.

I'm afraid I don't recall, sorry. Quite possibly, though.

#2050355 - 03/18/13 05:16 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Pass on it. Get something better.

#2050357 - 03/18/13 05:24 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: BDB]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Upon seeing the picture of the piano, I would tend to agree with BDB. There are so many much newer pianos around these days CHEEEEEEP (which is southern American lingo for cheap, inexpensive, said with a lilting tone).
ha
A customer of mine bought a very serviceable Baldwin studio recently for $600 - one just old enough to not have the poor materials which Baldwin used in its later manufacture, but not old enough to be worn out. In fact, it had little wear at all.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2050372 - 03/18/13 05:42 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Externally it is nice, some use the panels and install them on a modern piano just for that reason.

repairs are more expensive than buying a second hand modern piano

P.S The twangs and buzzes are what makes the charm of old pianos, why do you want to get rid of them ? wink

Sometime the charm of an old 1930 vertical is yet apparent, and the quality of the building make them good candidates for standard repairs, then you may need to be cautious before buying, and choose reputed brands and excellent construction.

But if there are audible defects that mean more money than you are willing to put in it, generally.

PPS I had (for free) a very good Gorss & Kallman vertical from 1930, with a Boesendorfer tone, r and tall really excellent, and not one part not lining after 80 years, thick nice ivories, excellent pinblock, etc.

That one will be repaired sold for the cost of the repair (hence the cost of a new medium grade vertical not too tall)

That little German piano builder made excellent instruments. I wonder about Irving Berlin, possibly good initial quality .

#2050374 - 03/18/13 05:44 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

the most basic repais will put you in some budget anyway, and cannot be realised on site for some part.

SO if nobody told you yet, have it examined by the future technician

#2050473 - 03/18/13 08:41 PM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
pscom, are you in the UK? That looks like a 1950s 'modernised' piano. Is there any chance you could take the top panel off and take a pic to let us see? In Britain in the 1950s there was a big fashion for 'modernising' 1890s cheap pianos. It did nothing for the inside of the piano, only the case. Mostly they should have been burnt instead of modernised. http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/birdcage-pianos.php

#2050559 - 03/19/13 12:20 AM Re: Buzz/rattle/twange on release of keys [Re: pscom]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Yes as the bottom panel is different fom the top

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (AndrewJCW, bennevis, 36251, 22 invisible), 1111 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157231 Topics
2309271 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
19 minutes 47 seconds ago
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
Today at 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
Today at 04:11 AM
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission